PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my old G5 HD

TJ Miller
Jan 21, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hey,
I have a G5, and i want to replace its HD with a new SATA, (500GB). If I saved all of my applications and data on the current HD on an external drive, and I switched it over onto my new HD once it is installed, will everything work exactly as I had it on my old drive? Will I need to reinstall ALL of my programs such as Messenger, Photoshop, Flash and others. Will some data be lost? If I change it and don't like the new drive, can I switch the old drive back and will the old drive act and work as if I never removed it at all? Please help me.

TJ

GregE
Jan 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm still a newbie myself but what I would do is buy the drive and an external enclosure.

Put the drive in there to start with, format and partition it on your Mac. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current drive to the external hard drive. Once that is done, shut down your Mac and take the old drive out and put the new drive in. Turn it on and you should be good to go.

You can then put the old drive in the external enclosure and format it and use it for added storage. Until you do that, you could always put it back in and use it like it was never removed.

Hope that helps.

Dimwhit
Jan 21, 2008, 11:20 AM
GregE is wise. If you want it to run just as it did before, you want to clone the drive. Carbon Copy Cloner works great for this. SuperDuper does, too. If you don't have Leopard.