Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Will iTunes Canada come tomorrow? One reader claims this was mentioned on a Canadian television this morning.

Of interest, Puretracks recently launched in Canada, offering comparable 99-cent music downloads.

Previous rumors indicated that iTunes Music Store for Canada was pushed back until at least September of this year due to licensing restrictions. No further details have emerged, however, since September.

skymac

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2003
Toronto,On
That would be nice, i do hope that it comes out soon but im not getting my hopes up. if there was an Itunes canada store, do you guys think apple would still charge 99 cet CAD even with the exchage rate difference?

djjon

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Thornhill, Ont
puretracks.com

puretracks.com is absolutley horrible. They only have limited material, it's all in windows media and much of it is more than .99. When they announced it today on Much News he even said its nothing compared to iTunes but its a start. I really hope iTunes Canada comes tomorrow.
Jon

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Ok, your choice (you can only have 1):

iTunes for Windows
iTunes for Canada

Pick for whichever for whatever reason you'd like.

Panopticon

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'd like to see the iTMS come to Canada tomorrow — we could finally start to use that music store part of iTunes!

I'd pay $1.31 CDN for a song that I liked enough to download. It would be nice if they kept it at 99¢, but no big thing in my opinion. I'd still use it. For the Canadians in the crowd – that's 2¢ more than a Large coffee at Timmy's! It'd be a good way to kick the coffee habit; just buy a song from iTMS every time you're jonesin' for some caffine.

If they did keep the pricing structure static, buying a song in Canada would cost 75¢ US... hmm...

I agree with djjon, Puretracks sucks hard.

skymac

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2003
Toronto,On
Come to think of it apple has made very few remarks about something like this, it will go windows europe the canada shortly after(june)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I'm still waiting for an iTunes Music Store Australia and an iphoto service and well sherlock and everything apple does :)

ah well, like I'd use em anyways

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by jholzner
Why is that? Why not both?

IF you could only have one tomorrow, what would you pick? This is just a way to see how people are feeling the night before the announcement, with a curve ball thrown in there at the end with this rumor.

:D

rodnarms

macrumors member
May 18, 2003
Port Rowan, Ontario, Canada
Legal download of music eh? Yep!

My mother mentioned to me just now she saw an Apple Canada rep on the London news saying that Canada would get the iTunes Music Store tommorrow.

Now my mother could have got a PureTracks.com rep mixed with an Apple one. I am sure they mentioned it was similar to iTunes and she could have been confused. However she is adament thats what happened though.

I think there is a good chance it will happen tomorrow given that the record industry in Canada has settled on online sale rights and terms last month. Also that PureTracks has been launched.

iTunes for Windows and Mac in Canada launched tommorrow.

"It's about to get bigger."

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
If I could only choose one: iTunes Canada, of course. I have a Mac and I'm already interested in some of the albums on the iTMS as-is.

iTunes for Windows would be more significant to the actual public. Given that Apple is dedicating its time to an event, I don't think that they're just going to announce iTunes for Windows, a couple of iPod accessories, and call it a day.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sorry, as much as I like to, I don't believe it.

Many times, the new service has always had iTunes in the same sentence.

I think a lot more people would have heard that, but I've heard bugger all.

Considering the above, I think its a case of
too early in the morning
+
not had coffee yet

== misheard annoucement

rodnarms

macrumors member
May 18, 2003
Port Rowan, Ontario, Canada
National Post Mentions US Company Entering Canadian Download Market Soon

Taken this quote from an article in today's National Post - a national paper that rarely publishes hearsy:

"Still, it [Puretracks] likely won't have the Canadian market to itself for long. Industry insiders speculated that it could be only a matter of weeks before a U.S. company starts offering a music downloading service in Canada."

Unless they mean Napster or Pressplay, I think that is Apple folks.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Blame Canada?

Ah! ha! So it was Canadian subterfuge that has slowed the development of iTMS for Windoze, eh?

Well, I say it's aboot time we put an end to the hold-up and release both.

/They're not even a real country anyway...

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Remember the past.

I actually wonder if there s any truth to this. Consider:

1) The Windows version of iTMS was being held up, by licensing issues with the record labels supposedly. Then recently the labels relaxed their terms with existing Windows compatable stores BuyMusic and the soon to launch MusicMatch store. Giving them both broad rights like those Apple had been seeking.

Relatively soon afterwards, Apple schedules a press event we are about to witness in the nears future, where the Windows version of iTunes, and the iTMS will debut.

2) Many moons ago, the Canadian version of Time Magazine blew the lid off the design of the new iMac hours before Job's keynote to introduce it. They uploaded the web content for the next issue of the magazine (an article about the new iMac, with photos being the cover story) the night before the keynote, spoiling the security which to that point had sucessfully prevented the release of any valid design photos.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Yeah, I thought that's what the "smiley" option was for. ;)

iTunes for Windows or iTunes Canada, eh?

Well, assuming iTunes for Windows means "iTunes for Windows for Americans" I'd go for iTunes for Canada out of pure selfishness. (I think I still have a valid Canadian credit card.)

Squire

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Wouldn't iTunes for Canada have an added and extremely difficult to honor hurdle? Not only would Apple have to negotiate with music rights holders, but they'd also have to fill the ITMS with a bulk of Canadian Content that outweighs content from other countries. Or has the Canadian Gov. given up on that particular oddity?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.