Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Hello,

Quick question: I have recently purchased a used IBook G4 1.42 Ghz to replace an older G4 Ibook I owned. My intention was to take out the new IBook's current hard drive (OS 10.4.2) and replace it with the hard drive in my previous IBook (10.3.9). When I dropped it in and tried to boot I was met with a flashing ?/Apple Face folder logo.

So my questions are:

#1. Is it possible to run the last generation of IBook G4 (1.42) with OS 10.3.x?

#2. If so, should I just erase the hard drive and do a clean restart, or am I doing something else incorrectly?

Much appreciation to the Mac geniuses who frequent this forum and help us out!

Chris

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Have you read the forum rules? No duplicate posts.

And the reason it won't work is because there are hardware differences between your older iBook and the newer iBook. The drivers etc... on the HDD from your older iBook aren't adequate to function the hardware on your new iBook.

Clean re-install. Plus, I'd use Tiger if I were you, or Leopard (as long as you have 512 mb RAM).

cnelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
And the reason it won't work is because there are hardware differences between your older iBook and the newer iBook. The drivers etc... on the HDD from your older iBook aren't adequate to function the hardware on your new iBook.

Clean re-install. Plus, I'd use Tiger if I were you, or Leopard (as long as you have 512 mb RAM).

The hard drive (after market toshiba) shouldn't be an issue here. Its a 2006 100GB Toshiba. The question is can a 14" 1.42 IBook run OS 10.3 (if its a clean install)? Sorry, I'm not sure I totally understand your answer. Yes or no?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The hard drive (after market toshiba) shouldn't be an issue here. Its a 2006 100GB Toshiba. The question is can a 14" 1.42 IBook run OS 10.3 (if its a clean install)? Sorry, I'm not sure I totally understand your answer. Yes or no?

Yes it'll run fine. But recommend 10.4 or 10.5 if you can.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You can't run a lower number OS on your machine than the OS that shipped with it.

It's an issue of drivers for the hardware, every change Apple makes to the hardware needs to be supported by drivers, if your machine came with 10.4.2 on it then you can't run 10.4.1 let alone 10.3.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You can't run a lower number OS on your machine than the OS that shipped with it.

It's an issue of drivers for the hardware, every change Apple makes to the hardware needs to be supported by drivers, if your machine came with 10.4.2 on it then you can't run 10.4.1 let alone 10.3.

Really? Ok then, I figured its not that big of a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.