PDA

View Full Version : Next MacBooks, MacBook Pros To Receive Multi-touch Trackpad

MacRumors
Jan 21, 2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

AppleInsider also believes the MacBook Air's multi-touch trackpad will make its way into Apple's MacBook Pro line (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/21/next_gen_apple_macbook_pros_to_gain_multi_touch_trackpad.html) before eventually being extended to the MacBook as well. Evidence of such an update was first reported by MacRumors (1 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/), 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/20/macworld-san-francisco-2008-rumor-wrapup-winners-and-losers/)).

In very much the same way that iSight video cams have become commonplace on nearly all of Apple's personal computer systems, the Mac maker will reportedly scale the gesture-based input technology across its notebook lines during the course of the year.

The expected update to the MacBook Pro has reportedly been slightly delayed due to the necessity to complete work on the MacBook Air. Arrival of the new MacBook Pros utilizing Intel's recently released Penryn based mobile processors (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/intel-launches-penryn-mobile-processors/) is now expected in the next few weeks. AppleInsider speculates that Intel's 2.5 and 2.6 GHz models will be used, although that would leave out the top of the line 2.8 GHz "extreme" edition CPU (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/02/upcoming-mobile-intel-penryn-prototype-previewed/).

According to our Buyer's Guide (http://www.macrumors.com/members/buyersguide/#MacBook_Pro), the MacBook Pro is ripe for an update. However, a small change in the lineup did occur in November 2007, when Apple added a 2.6 GHz processor option and 250 GB Hard Drive build-to-order options.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/21/next-macbooks-macbook-pros-to-receive-multi-touch-trackpad/)

vertgo
Jan 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
The old macbooks/pros also have the capability of detecting multitouch, it just doesn't have the software. I will be unhappy the way I was unhappy about the special "hardware" that apple put into 3rd gen ipods so they could have shuffle from the root menu rather than from a variety of other places on the ipod.

Mudbug
Jan 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
that's what I wonder as well - since the MacBook already has multi-finger input for scrolling etc, is it possible the multitouch capabilities could come in the form of a system software update?

fanbrain
Jan 21, 2008, 01:36 PM
This gives me hope. I have some need for a new machine. This would be a great addition to an already great machine.

Sannekita
Jan 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Cool! now update those damn things because i want to buy them!!!

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
just ordered a MB onsaturday :(

animenick65
Jan 21, 2008, 01:38 PM
I can only imagine the heat that the 2.8 would give off in a MBP. Its already a very hot machine.

NewbieNerd
Jan 21, 2008, 01:39 PM
AppleInsider just posting a big DUH to boost their rumor accuracy? :rolleyes:

milo
Jan 21, 2008, 01:39 PM
So where the hell is the mac mini update?

That POS is way more out of date than anything else apple is shipping. Seriously, the only thing left with a combo drive, only 2 gigs of ram, no high speed wifi?

Might as well just kill off the damn thing if they're going to leave it so out of date and uncompetitive with everything else in the marketplace. Shame, since it wasn't so bad when it first shipped.

MisterSalty
Jan 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
Wow. Check out the pic in the AppleInsider article. Couldn't they find a better finger than that?:eek:

Ptpiz
Jan 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
I waited for the Macworld Keynote to see if they would announce a new 17" Macbook Pro because I am in the market for one and I want it, the sooner the better.

With all these things floating around that they should be available in the next few weeks, now I am growing unpatient, but I do not want buyer's remorse when the new ones come out. lol

Go ahead and throw them at us APPLE!!!

Sbrocket
Jan 21, 2008, 01:42 PM

MR already posted this so either they missed that and reported it as new or pulled the rumor from MR.

Oh, and we can't be sure that the current trackpads are capable of doing the three-finger multitouch events. Certainly they can detect simple things like two-finger scrolling, but there's really no way we can be sure of what all they're capable of. I think the probability of a software update to enable them is low.

audioadrenaline
Jan 21, 2008, 01:43 PM
I used to be on the Mini waiting list, but I've since given up on the little guy. I'm glad to hear about the processor boosts--I just wish the final item on my wish list is fulfilled: graphics update to the MBP. And soon!

Cloudsurfer
Jan 21, 2008, 01:46 PM
Holding out for Penryn myself. The new trackpad would be a nice addition, but I don't see myself using all the gestures; just give me two-finger scrolling and I'm happy.

Fourbin
Jan 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
I also noticed that both Tiger Direct and Buy.com are advertising Mac minis on sale for $549 today. Guessing there will be a processor bump very soon. Hopefully they will update MacBooks across the line too. Tomorrow perhaps?

hob
Jan 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
The old macbooks/pros also have the capability of detecting multitouch, it just doesn't have the software. I will be unhappy the way I was unhappy about the special "hardware" that apple put into 3rd gen ipods so they could have shuffle from the root menu rather than from a variety of other places on the ipod.

if it's a software thing, then someone will release a patch - just like with the two -finger scrolling on the pre-2005 powerbooks/ibooks (I hope!)

EricNau
Jan 21, 2008, 01:50 PM
that's what I wonder as well - since the MacBook already has multi-finger input for scrolling etc, is it possible the multitouch capabilities could come in the form of a system software update?
Maybe we'll get an update for $20. :p

ErikCLDR
Jan 21, 2008, 01:50 PM
Wow. The people at AppleInsider are geniuses.

Teddy's
Jan 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Sounds like an understatement but ok. I would be more impressed with a multi touch screen.
Cheers from Frozenland.

basqarl
Jan 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
Finally..........! I am so excited.... I can't wait.:D

thejadedmonkey
Jan 21, 2008, 02:00 PM
MR already posted this so either they missed that and reported it as new or pulled the rumor from MR.

Oh, and we can't be sure that the current trackpads are capable of doing the three-finger multitouch events. Certainly they can detect simple things like two-finger scrolling, but there's really no way we can be sure of what all they're capable of. I think the probability of a software update to enable them is low.

There was a 3 finger hack for windows drivers.. or maybe it was Ubuntu.. but the MBP trackpad CAN detect 3 fingers, it's just a matter of whether Apple wants to write the $oftware.

I also noticed that both Tiger Direct and Buy.com are advertising Mac minis on sale for $549 today. Guessing there will be a processor bump very soon. Hopefully they will update MacBooks across the line too. Tomorrow perhaps?

Dang, I've got a new mini on its way here from Apple. Should arrive on Wednesday, I'm gonna be upset if it's an old version and new ones come out Tuesday!

NorCalLights
Jan 21, 2008, 02:01 PM

AppleInsider also reports that future Apple laptops will have larger hard drives, faster processors, more RAM and higher-resolution screens.

Xenious
Jan 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
Bring on that keyboard too!!! I love the new one from the MBA. Just like my nice wireless one only backlit.

swingerofbirch
Jan 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
How big is the MBA trackpad compared to the MB? Anyone happen to know? Just wonder if Apple thinks it needs to be of a certain size to be useful for gestures...

TedB
Jan 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
My guess is that Apple will be throwing a press conference at the end of February. I would really doubt that they would release the iPhone SDK and give a small demo about it without a small presentation. This would also give the Macbook designers enough time after MacWorld to update the MacBooks with at least a trackpad update, and hopefully a updated keyboard. It would be a perfect combo to do in a small event.

AoWolf
Jan 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
I hope this will updated the the whole computer and not just this Processor and trackpad. The MBP's could use magnetic latches, an updated keyboard, and an all aluminum case. (the top half of the lower clamshell is all plastic right now)

nostaws
Jan 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ugh, they could also put this in the old ones, but won't

I am a somewhat happy macbook pro user. I would love to have this feature on my Pro, but I don't expect it. At some point you have to cut old hardware off. And apple is notorious for this, and I know and understand that.

jnc

That POS is way more out of date than anything else apple is shipping. Seriously, the only thing left with a combo drive, only 2 gigs of ram, no high speed wifi?

Might as well just kill off the damn thing if they're going to leave it so out of date and uncompetitive with everything else in the marketplace. Shame, since it wasn't so bad when it first shipped.

Why are you so surprised? The last Mac Mini came out at the same time as the iMac, and the iMac hasn't seen an update either. It's always the last of the bunch, it's still using the gma950. Next bump will be to x3100 I suppose, like the MBs received but two months ago. Don't expect it in any sort of hurry.

chedda
I could quite easily live without multitouch surely its a resource hog ? i mean how pro is multitouch ? surely more suited to iphone ? i think command r is infinitely better than that cack handed gesture, and whats wrong with the arrow keys this is a gimmick or am i the only one ? heres also hoping for a non air keyboard also ! rooting for the big gpu though and the 2.8 in the 17 incher ....

nnkd
Jan 21, 2008, 02:12 PM
Cool beans!

Add me to the list of people that are excited for new Macs with new features.

BWhaler
Jan 21, 2008, 02:14 PM
This is 100% true.

WWDC will focus on new tools and education for adding gestures to your applications. There are a few updates and pieces of magic that have not been discussed but are coming in June.

Also, the rumors are wrong about a laptop revision in February.

The entire line is getting refreshed in June with the new Intel chips coming in May, new touch pads, slightly thinner and lighter, SSD, new keyboards, and other cosmetic changes.

(Do I sound authoritative on the matter? Hmmmm...how odd.)

surferfromuk
Jan 21, 2008, 02:21 PM
Multi-touch keyboard for my iMac too please.

audioadrenaline
Jan 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
This is 100% true.

WWDC will focus on new tools and education for adding gestures to your applications. There are a few updates and pieces of magic that have not been discussed but are coming in June.

The entire line is getting refreshed in June with the new Intel chips coming in May, new touch pads, slightly thinner and lighter, SSD, new keyboards, and other cosmetic changes.

June?! We can't wait that long! Surely Apple wouldn't deny an update to their flagship notebook line for an entire year... And aren't SSDs still to expensive to put in notebooks (at least ones that can compete with 120-250GB models now)? Also, Does your authoritiy permit you to comment on the possibility of adding BlueRay drives in June too?

sindrefj
Jan 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
This is 100% true.

You seem very certain? How can you know this? It is very important to me to know, cause I'm about to buy a MPB, but will certainly wait a couple of weeks if there's an update on the way.

propropro
Jan 21, 2008, 02:34 PM
How big is the MBA trackpad compared to the MB? Anyone happen to know? Just wonder if Apple thinks it needs to be of a certain size to be useful for gestures...

I think it's just the same size... but maybe I'm wrong

melchior
Jan 21, 2008, 02:35 PM
You seem very certain? How can you know this? It is very important to me to know, cause I'm about to buy a MPB, but will certainly wait a couple of weeks if there's an update on the way.

He doesn't advertise it, but a little bird told me he is being facetious. ;)

MrCrowbar
Jan 21, 2008, 02:41 PM

Well, I just overlayed the MBA and MB in Photoshop. It seems the trackpads including the button have the same footprint on both models. But the button on the MBA is much thinner allowing for a thicker trackpad. If you try doing a rotate gesture on a Macbook, it feels awkward because the trackpad is not big enough. Also the button gets in the way of your thumb. I assume the new trackpads all have the MBA's thin button design. Same footprint, better suited for multitouch.

The size of the Macbook's trackpad is blue.I don't have a dead on top view of the Macbook so there's some perspective. The width (x axis) is the same, the MBA's trackpad might be a tad thicker (y axis):
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/460/padskg6.jpg

byeehaaw
Jan 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe we'll get an update for $20. :p

dont joke! :( if apple dare pulls a $20 update price i will go crazy! rawrrrr. is this update supposed to come in 10.5.2?

Prof.
Jan 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
...it possible the multitouch capabilities could come in the form of a system software update?
I say "NO".

I don't see Apple releasing an update making the current MB's and MBP's multitouch. That would take away sales from the new MB's and MBP's.

bking1000
Jan 21, 2008, 02:43 PM

Absolutely. A big "duh"

My SRMB does detect multi-touch. Heck, I'd even pay the $20 "upgrade" (ala iPod Touch) to get the new gestures!

Prof.
Jan 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
Absolutely. A big "duh"

My SRMB does detect multi-touch. Heck, I'd even pay the $20 "upgrade" (ala iPod Touch) to get the new gestures!
What about the MacBooks from May 2007? Do they support multitouch???

CWallace
Jan 21, 2008, 02:47 PM
Not surprising Apple is doing this, but if (some) existing MacBooks / MacBook Pros can also support it in hardware, then Apple should release an update for them, as well, IMO.

Dreamer2go
Jan 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
He doesn't advertise it, but a little bird told me he is being facetious. ;)

maybe
but if you buy it now, there will most likely be an upgrade again in june. Your new MBP will be new for 4-5 months time period...

Summer 2008 sees an entire new chipset...ready for back to school deals...

Ryanr14
Jan 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
Besides multi-touch trackpad they definitely need a case and keyboard overhaul Although you can't say the current design is ugly, i love it. I just think that to match the rest of their products it should happen.

paul17win
Jan 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
Wow i need this so bad for my photography i cant wait any longer!!!!

tuneman07
Jan 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
Anyone have any ideas what the price might be? Do prices go up with these large updates or no?

audioadrenaline
Jan 21, 2008, 03:03 PM
Anyone have any ideas what the price might be? Do prices go up with these large updates or no?

If you look at all the updates on MR's buyer's guide, the baseline MBP has held steady at $1999 for the past several major updates...

melchior
Jan 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
maybe
but if you buy it now, there will most likely be an upgrade again in june. Your new MBP will be new for 4-5 months time period...

Summer 2008 sees an entire new chipset...ready for back to school deals...

Unless you're interested in DDR3, there's nothing to look out for there. And really, at $200 a gigabyte, that's even more than apple charges! ;-)

emotion
Jan 21, 2008, 03:07 PM
I'd hazard a wild guess that 10.5.2 will include the multi-touch to appease people baying for the long overdue new MBP casing design which will be out in May/June (another wild guess, they can make it thinner due to 25w TDP Penryn mobile chips and Montevina).

or

They'll do the bare minimum. Like they're doing with the iPhone updates. Who knows?

tothelimit
Jan 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
I would love to see the MBP update in the next few weeks - as I'm waiting for that update to make my next purchase - and sooner would sure better than later. BUT - the whispers of a release around WWDC seem very logical. Especially if we can expect a whole new look.

overcast
Jan 21, 2008, 03:10 PM
Wow i need this so bad for my photography i cant wait any longer!!!!
If you NEED it then you are being foolish waiting.

Luis
Jan 21, 2008, 03:13 PM
To quote Engadget: "Sun also rumored to rise tomorrow"

TimJim
Jan 21, 2008, 03:13 PM
Maybe somebody will take the driver/software that allows the MBA to do multitouch and find a way to install it on an old MB/MBP.

Luis
Jan 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
Maybe somebody will take the driver/software that allows the MBA to do multitouch and find a way to install it on an old MB/MBP.

Like it was done when the 2 finger scrolling appeared on the Powerbooks.

ero87
Jan 21, 2008, 03:17 PM
why no question mark after the title of this post? I get excited when I see stuff like this, and then it turns out it's just a rumor...

yanks4sure
Jan 21, 2008, 03:18 PM
I would love to see the MBP update in the next few weeks - as I'm waiting for that update to make my next purchase - and sooner would sure better than later. BUT - the whispers of a release around WWDC seem very logical. Especially if we can expect a whole new look.

in Q3 Intel releases quad core mobile cpus
Apple wants the Macbook Air to have the new "multitouch" exclusively for a short time

heres the low down

feb we get a speed bump MBP
Q3 we get a quadcore new look multitouch MBP

ks-man
Jan 21, 2008, 03:20 PM

What does WWDC stand for? I'm assuming it is a conference or expo but I'm not entirely sure. Also if it is what are the exact dates for it?

Thanks.

Luis

I don't see that happening. When they speed bump them, people are going to think this is the long rumored update, and then when shortly after they release the new ones you say, there's going to be a LOT of discontent buyers, I can tell you that.

rockosmodurnlif
I could quite easily live without multitouch surely its a resource hog ? i mean how pro is multitouch ? surely more suited to iphone ? i think command r is infinitely better than that cack handed gesture, and whats wrong with the arrow keys this is a gimmick or am i the only one ? heres also hoping for a non air keyboard also ! rooting for the big gpu though and the 2.8 in the 17 incher ....
I don't think it would be much higher of a resource hog. Not a noticeable amount at any rate. Especialy since it's in the MacBook Air, which is all about being away from other machines without an adapter. But the swiping, rotating and zooming gestures are useless for me.

I agree. I wonder if the wireless keyboards will receive some sort of trackpad input. Or if there are any gestures that can be added to the mighty mouse. A cut, copy or paste gesture for instance.

New look? What new look? Even the MacBook Air, the newest member of the family, looks like the rest of the lineup. Nothing has had a new design since the G5 iMac. And no, that's not a complaint.

regan
Jan 21, 2008, 03:22 PM
The macbook pros are REALLY due for a complete redesign. Even the macbooks could use one.

I have a feeling that the macbooks and macbook pros will get a new aluminum design similar to the Airbook only thicker of course.

That'd be cool if they could keep the black macbook option in aluminum tho.

I hope they update them all in February. But if history is any indication, Apple usually updates the regular macbooks later...usually in May?

But who knows. All I know is that I am in the market for a laptop and want one. :-)

Stella
Jan 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hope this rumour becomes reality.

All the more reason to wait for the refreshes than buy the current range.

Multitouch touch pads would be great on a laptop.

capitanbuzo
Jan 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
I hope Apple will update the MBP tommorow like Engadget says they might. Then I change my order to the new one and possibly save $200.

audioadrenaline
Jan 21, 2008, 03:28 PM
I don't know, guys... a more environmentally friendly MB & MBP w/ aluminum & glass, sure--eventually. But Apple's not going to undermine the appeal of MacBook Air's ultra slim design by making their other notebooks slimmer right after MBA's debut.

psychofreak
Jan 21, 2008, 03:31 PM
I hope Apple will update the MBP tommorow like Engadget says they might. Then I change my order to the new one and possibly save $200.

Engadget does not say that. Re-read the title:

"MacBook Pro rumored to be getting multi-touch trackpad, sun also rumored to rise tomorrow"

kddpop
Jan 21, 2008, 03:36 PM
What does WWDC stand for? I'm assuming it is a conference or expo but I'm not entirely sure. Also if it is what are the exact dates for it?

Thanks.

World Wide Developer's Conference.

cheers,
~kyle

alembic
Jan 21, 2008, 03:37 PM
Man, I hope they release a matte screen version. I hope they don't go all glossy.

QCassidy352
Jan 21, 2008, 03:37 PM

It's been horribly behind other products since it went intel. It was the only mac ever to have a core solo... it had a core duo well after everything else had core 2 duo, and it's the last to have the GMA 950. It's a real shame because it could be a nice little machine if they kept it current.

Can't tell if you're kidding or not, but there's no reason to wait that long to move the MBP to penryn. I could believe that the MB won't be updated until then.

Thanks.

World Wide Developers Conference. The dates have not yet been announced, AFAIK.

pagansoul
Jan 21, 2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks.

I believe World Wide Developers Conference.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 03:42 PM
Those multi-touch gestures are pretty neat. It will be nice when they are in all the machines.

twoodcc
Jan 21, 2008, 03:46 PM
good news! hopefully this comes sooner rather than later.

capitanbuzo
Jan 21, 2008, 03:54 PM
Engadget does not say that. Re-read the title:

"MacBook Pro rumored to be getting multi-touch trackpad, sun also rumored to rise tomorrow"

My bad. Still hope it gets updated tommorow but I will still be getting one fast machine.

thewizardguy
Jan 21, 2008, 04:08 PM
since steve said "air's will be out in 2 weeks" on the 15th, and the delay in upgrading the mbp's and mb's is supposedly because of the work on the mba's, couldn't we safely assume the mbp/mb update will come feb 5th, unless theres some event for the SDK for the iPhone, then it'd be then, but knowing :apple:, itll be late feb...*sigh*...makes it easier to use the tax return tho :)

CmdrLaForge
Jan 21, 2008, 04:14 PM
According to our Buyer's Guide (http://www.macrumors.com/members/buyersguide/#MacBook_Pro), the MacBook Pro is ripe for an update. However, a small change in the lineup did occur in November 2007, when Apple added a 2.6 GHz processor option and 250 GB Hard Drive build-to-order options.

That is not correct. The 250 GB Hard Drive option was there from the beginning. They changed the drive from 4200 rpm to 5400 rpm at that point in time.

audioadrenaline
Jan 21, 2008, 04:16 PM
My bad. Still hope it gets updated tommorow but I will still be getting one fast machine.

So do you already own your 15" | 2.6 GHz | 4GB | 200GB 7200rpm Macbook Pro or are you getting another?

In response to post below: I got'cha now. Congrats on getting the new MBP!

capitanbuzo
Jan 21, 2008, 04:23 PM
So I guess your 15" | 2.6 GHz | 4GB | 200GB 7200rpm isn't fast enough, huh?

I ordered it on Saturday because I need it now. If they did update it to a 2.6 standard I would save $200 on the processor update or spend it on a 2.8 upgrade if it was offered.

numbsafari
Jan 21, 2008, 04:24 PM

Has it ever occured to you that perhaps the resolution of the "multiple finger input detection" isn't sufficient for reliably implementing this feature?

I find it hard to believe that if the hardware supported this capability Apple would simply not implement it... As soon as they did so there would be an Open Source hack released to implement it for everyone else and then Apple would look like real idiots.

swingerofbirch
Jan 21, 2008, 04:29 PM
Has it ever occured to you that perhaps the resolution of the "multiple finger input detection" isn't sufficient for reliably implementing this feature?

I find it hard to believe that if the hardware supported this capability Apple would simply not implement it... As soon as they did so there would be an Open Source hack released to implement it for everyone else and then Apple would look like real idiots.

I don't think they're as worried as other companies about looking like idiots. Remember they charged a nominal fee to update Macs to WiFi "n" (although they claimed some legal reason they had to).

numbsafari
Jan 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
There was a 3 finger hack for windows drivers.. or maybe it was Ubuntu.. but the MBP trackpad CAN detect 3 fingers, it's just a matter of whether Apple wants to write the $oftware.

Even if it can detect three fingers, that doesn't mean it's necessarily capable of detecting those fingers independently on the trackpad which would allow for things like rotating. Perhaps right now it just globs everything together and can't detect that one finger is in the lower right and the other is in the upper left.

numbsafari
Jan 21, 2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks.

Google it man... you could find out in seconds and inform your own self rather than sitting here and waiting for somebody to respond.

Digital Skunk
Jan 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
I just hope that it's a real performer. I love the current MBP but i would love to have something that isn't mediocre and that can actually be qualified as a real professional machine.

On the 17" MBP
- Dual HDDs
- Dual 2.8 GHz Intel Processor
- 512 MB GFX card
- 3 FW Ports
- 2 USB ports

Redesigned case with magnetic latch and a case that's the same size to keep the heat down.

ribbonthecat
Jan 21, 2008, 04:43 PM
Apple should also release a separate trackpad with Multitouch as a mouse replacement for those of us who use desktops.

chuckles:)
Jan 21, 2008, 04:49 PM
Sounds like an understatement but ok. I would be more impressed with a multi touch screen.
Cheers from Frozenland.

What Frozenland are you talking about? I'm looking out my toronto window and i see grass.

Cold, yes.

Frozen, no.

O, and i too would like and updated MBP, with a magnetic latch.

Calsef
Jan 21, 2008, 04:53 PM
This is 100% true.

Why are you so authoritative? I'm going to buy my first apple, maybe tomorrow, maybe in june...but knowing whether i have to wait until late may/june to get a design that isn't a couple years old would be nice... Whats the deal, BWhaler?

mrod
Jan 21, 2008, 04:53 PM
However, a small change in the lineup did occur in November 2007, when Apple added a 2.6 GHz processor option and 250 GB Hard Drive build-to-order options.

What most people missed about this update was that the graphics chipset was updated as well from the nVidia 8600M GT to the 8800M GT.

(System Profiler still says that it's an 8600M GT, however, other diagnostic programs Apple supplies for debugging purposes tell a different story. I've been helping Apple diagnose an nVidia driver problem which affects both 10.4 and 10.5 on the MBPs manufactured since last summer. Basically, the driver crashes if a video device is plugged in which gives incomplete DCC information. It has a divide by zero error and can cause a kernel panic.)

crazy legs
Jan 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
What most people missed about this update was that the graphics chipset was updated as well from the nVidia 8600M GT to the 8800M GT.

(System Profiler still says that it's an 8600M GT, however, other diagnostic programs Apple supplies for debugging purposes tell a different story. I've been helping Apple diagnose an nVidia driver problem which affects both 10.4 and 10.5 on the MBPs manufactured since last summer. Basically, the driver crashes if a video device is plugged in which gives incomplete DCC information. It has a divide by zero error and can cause a kernel panic.)

I hope they upgrade :)

JesterJJZ
Jan 21, 2008, 05:08 PM
Doesn't this kinda fall under the "Duh..." category?

Creibold
Jan 21, 2008, 05:08 PM
The way it's looking, I'm actually glad I bought when I did. I may be the only crazy person out there who likes the current Macbook pro keyboard better than this new black on sliver backlit one. Oh well.

I wonder if those new Air's will have a bottom yellowing third problem... It is LED after all.... God I hope not.

macsforme
Jan 21, 2008, 05:25 PM
just ordered a MB onsaturday :(

The MacBooks (non-pro) were just recently updated, and are not expected to be updated again soon as far as I know.

Seems that there's a constant tune of groaning for the MacBook Pro update to happen already. Can't wait for the day after the update, when the tune will no doubt be "Oh my gosh I JUST ordered a MacBook Pro yesterday :( :( :( I'm screwed! :( :( :( I HATE APPLE!"

;)

lord patton
Jan 21, 2008, 05:27 PM
Apple should also release a separate trackpad with Multitouch as a mouse replacement for those of us who use desktops.

CoverFlow... QuickLook... MultiTouch... Gestures... Apple is redefining the HUI—they'll get their solution to the desktop, absolutely.

skorpien
Jan 21, 2008, 05:30 PM
The MacBooks (non-pro) were just recently updated, and are not expected to be updated again soon as far as I know.

Seems that there's a constant tune of groaning for the MacBook Pro to happen already. Can't wait for the day after the update, when the tune will no doubt be "Oh my gosh I JUST ordered a MacBook Pro yesterday :( :( :( I'm screwed! :( :( :( I HATE APPLE!"

;)

And that's precisely why I'm waiting for the update. It'd suck having my 2 week old computer outdated overnight.

S600MBUSA
Jan 21, 2008, 05:37 PM

Why wouldn't Apple advertise such an improvement in the graphics card? You're the first person I've heard claim that the little "bump" in November brought a new graphics card.

milo
Jan 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
Why are you so surprised? The last Mac Mini came out at the same time as the iMac, and the iMac hasn't seen an update either. It's always the last of the bunch, it's still using the gma950. Next bump will be to x3100 I suppose, like the MBs received but two months ago. Don't expect it in any sort of hurry.

I'm not surprised since apple has made it obvious that they don't give a rat's ass about the mini, just disappointed.

When those two updates happened, the iMac got a pretty decent one while the mini got a pathetic one that left it still way out of date. I can't think of another machine apple has neglected as long as the mini - since february 2006 the top model has only gone from 1.6 to 2 gig. No optical update. No max ram update. No wifi update.

Pathetic.

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 21, 2008, 05:40 PM
well if anything happens this week i wont open the box and just pay the restocking fee.

LeviG
Jan 21, 2008, 05:47 PM
Why wouldn't Apple advertise such an improvement in the graphics card? You're the first person I've heard claim that the little "bump" in November brought a new graphics card.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

corywoolf
Jan 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
I thought I heard something about Apple releasing a free software update that would give all MacBooks ever made multi-touch?:confused:

BWhaler
Jan 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
June?! We can't wait that long! Surely Apple wouldn't deny an update to their flagship notebook line for an entire year... And aren't SSDs still to expensive to put in notebooks (at least ones that can compete with 120-250GB models now)? Also, Does your authoritiy permit you to comment on the possibility of adding BlueRay drives in June too?

Sorry to break the news.

I am "confident" about the inclusion of gestures and WWDC.

As for the release schedule, these things change. But who knows...

Speculation is fun... ;-)

MattInOz
Jan 21, 2008, 05:53 PM
The macbook pros are REALLY due for a complete redesign. Even the macbooks could use one.

I have a feeling that the macbooks and macbook pros will get a new aluminum design similar to the Airbook only thicker of course.

That'd be cool if they could keep the black macbook option in aluminum tho.

I hope they update them all in February. But if history is any indication, Apple usually updates the regular macbooks later...usually in May?

But who knows. All I know is that I am in the market for a laptop and want one. :-)

If they are going to redesign then you can see them waiting till the new platform not just the new 45nm CPU's that are already out so Junes more likely. They could still speed bump tomorrow let the current keep pace.

What with greater demand for laptops in the market i wonder if they could make high spec and low-mid spec in each size?
Have macbook in one colour and a black high spec model. Or at least the 13 and 15.

DARKiLLUSiON
Jan 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
aww man i just ordered mb on saturday :(

HailToTheVictor
Jan 21, 2008, 06:04 PM
AppleInsider also reports that future Apple laptops will have larger hard drives, faster processors, more RAM and higher-resolution screens.

So...should I wait to buy then? :confused:

corywoolf
Jan 21, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm not surprised since apple has made it obvious that they don't give a rat's ass about the mini, just disappointed.

When those two updates happened, the iMac got a pretty decent one while the mini got a pathetic one that left it still way out of date. I can't think of another machine apple has neglected as long as the mini - since february 2006 the top model has only gone from 1.6 to 2 gig. No optical update. No max ram update. No wifi update.

Pathetic.

They have more important products to update/develop. The mini is just too expensive and Apple knows it. They don't want to put time/money into something that they wont make much money on. It's a shame Apple can't afford to sell a mini for $399. It would be a bright move to get a cheap mac into wallyworld and get the average Joe to see a Mac for sale. Not everybody is comfortable or even cares to look/go into an Apple Store. Even Best Buy is not enough. Apple needs to make a better effort to market the Mac the same way they have marketed the iPod. Quite with this stupid Mac vs. PC stuff and get a campaign that shows how sexy the Mac is and not any of it's software features. Trick the consumer into buying a Mac for it's looks. The average joe doesn't understand what an OS is. They just know that they need to use Internet Explorer to check their email and pay some bills. Sometimes you just need to take advantage of ignorance and sell someone something by presenting things everyone likes but doesn't need. Also, make an iMac for $599 and sell it exclusively at wallyworld. A 17" iMac 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with WiFi (no bluetooth). Apple is too stuck up to make something that affordable though. Just saying... :)

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
New look? What new look? Even the MacBook Air, the newest member of the family, looks like the rest of the lineup. Nothing has had a new design since the G5 iMac. And no, that's not a complaint.

Since when do the new iMac's look like the G5 iMac???

Wallace86
Jan 21, 2008, 06:17 PM
say they do update in the next few weeks or whatever, what will that imply for the next update after that? would it still take place around june or be pushed to around september? for them to update in june right after a feburary update would be quick even for apple.

i3iz
Jan 21, 2008, 06:21 PM

My wife's old computer was a G4 1.33Ghz. There was some freeware that allowed her to have a scrolling trackpad like my 1.67 hi-res. She even got a few extra features that i didnt have.

That same program could be theoretically written to support the new gestures.

melko
Jan 21, 2008, 06:23 PM
I just hope that it's a real performer. I love the current MBP but i would love to have something that isn't mediocre and that can actually be qualified as a real professional machine.

On the 17" MBP
- Dual HDDs
- Dual 2.8 GHz Intel Processor
- 512 MB GFX card
- 3 FW Ports
- 2 USB ports

Redesigned case with magnetic latch and a case that's the same size to keep the heat down.

A laptop with 2 HDDs and dual 2.8GHz processor the same size as the current 17" MBP would be much too hot for apple to sell, it might burn someone. People all over these forums complain that there MBPs are too hot as it is. What do you think apple charge for something like this! But hey why not dual graphics as well! And an esata port or two.

MarkW19
Jan 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
This is the first Mac I've bought which is going to be dedicated almost 100% to my work, so unfortunately after waiting already too long in vain until MWSF with nothing coming, I bought a 2.2 MBP (4GB, 200GB 7200rpm) last week, it should be coming this week.

I hate all this because I always rush out and buy things the minute they're announced when they're brand new, not things that have basically stayed much the same for years, with an update imminent.

But, I needed to fight against my usual instinct, and buy it.

The current MBP is an awesome machine, and the fact that it still gets consumer and critical acclaim right now, even when the current design is by electronics (and particularly Apple) terms very stale, is testament to how good it is I guess.

Saying this, I won't be too fussed by an update if all it is is multitouch, slightly faster processor, etc. BUT, if it's a BRAND NEW case design (metallic black alu anyone?), I will be annoyed.

But this is the game we play! If you NEED one now, just buy it. It may be tomorrow, it may be June. But if you need a new computer, then surely waiting will be more harmful/frustrating to you than just getting a slightly older model? If you're really that bothered about the new model, just get yours up on eBay on a relatively short listing the minute the new ones are announced, and try and recoup your losses.

Wallace86
Jan 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
My wife's old computer was a G4 1.33Ghz. There was some freeware that allowed her to have a scrolling trackpad like my 1.67 hi-res. She even got a few extra features that i didnt have.

how are you a "newbie" when you joined in sept 2005, lol?

i3iz
Jan 21, 2008, 06:25 PM
They have more important products to update/develop. The mini is just too expensive and Apple knows it. They don't want to put time/money into something that they wont make much money on. It's a shame Apple can't afford to sell a mini for $399. It would be a bright move to get a cheap mac into wallyworld and get the average Joe to see a Mac for sale. Not everybody is comfortable or even cares to look/go into an Apple Store. Even Best Buy is not enough. Apple needs to make a better effort to market the Mac the same way they have marketed the iPod. Quite with this stupid Mac vs. PC stuff and get a campaign that shows how sexy the Mac is and not any of it's software features. Trick the consumer into buying a Mac for it's looks. The average joe doesn't understand what an OS is. They just know that they need to use Internet Explorer to check their email and pay some bills. Sometimes you just need to take advantage of ignorance and sell someone something by presenting things everyone likes but doesn't need. Also, make an iMac for $599 and sell it exclusively at wallyworld. A 17" iMac 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with WiFi (no bluetooth). Apple is too stuck up to make something that affordable though. Just saying... :)
I can see the commercials now.
Mac: Hi, I'm a mac
PC: ...and I'm a PC. Mac – What do you think of my new sub-$500 PC
Mac: Very nice PC, Apple just came out with a $399 mac with 2 cores, 2gb of ram, 250GB HD and it is smaller than a ream of paper.
PC: but the PC comes with a 19" flatscreen.
Mac: Eff!!!!
::Jobs walks onto screen
Jobs: RDF Engage! But the mac is thin!!! over 3 million times smaller and with apples wireless BT accessories it is over 4 million times better.
PC: Eff!!!!

MarkW19
Jan 21, 2008, 06:27 PM
The way it's looking, I'm actually glad I bought when I did. I may be the only crazy person out there who likes the current Macbook pro keyboard better than this new black on sliver backlit one. Oh well.

I wonder if those new Air's will have a bottom yellowing third problem... It is LED after all.... God I hope not.

Do the MBPs have the yellowing issue?

And, I doubt Apple would do black on silver on the MBP (I personally think it's a horrible look).

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 06:34 PM
A laptop with 2 HDDs and dual 2.8GHz processor the same size as the current 17" MBP would be much too hot for apple to sell, it might burn someone. People all over these forums complain that there MBPs are too hot as it is. What do you think apple charge for something like this! But hey why not dual graphics as well! And an esata port or two.

I disagree. The dual 2.8GHz refers to a Core2Duo 2.8GHz, and there is a company that sells a device that replaces the superdrive with an additional hard drive so that would give 2 HDD's

aswitcher
Jan 21, 2008, 06:35 PM

How about a software update that allowed the iPod touch and iPhone to be used as trackpads that way when physically connected to the Mac...

chimerical
Jan 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
Holding out for Penryn myself. The new trackpad would be a nice addition, but I don't see myself using all the gestures; just give me two-finger scrolling and I'm happy.

Two-finger scrolling already exists on the Macbook Pros. System Preferences / Keyboard & Mouse / Trackpad.

naroola
Jan 21, 2008, 06:41 PM
Mark my words... the Macbook will be replaced with a multitouch tablet/PDA/iPhone Grande/whatever. We will have the new (revised) Macbook (no drive, no keyboard, multitouch screen), the Macbook Air (in it's current form) and the Macbook Pro (somewhat current form... with DVD drive, Ethernet & FW ports and everything).

Look at Steve's MWSF08 keynote... when he announced the name of the Macbook Air, he placed it in between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro. However, currently the Macbook has much higher specs than the Macbook Air (except for the lit keyboard and the thinness, but doesn't mean it's a better machine). Macbooks are going to lose their current form and become the new eReader/Kindle killer/PDA/Tablet/whatever.

Thoughts?

forafireescape
Jan 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
So have we reached any "definitive" consensus (as much as you can reach one on a rumors forum) as to whether or not the multi-touch trackpad like the MBA will be available as an update to already existing MBPs?

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 06:48 PM
Mark my words... the Macbook will be replaced with a multitouch tablet/PDA/iPhone Grande/whatever. We will have the new (revised) Macbook (no drive, no keyboard, multitouch screen), the Macbook Air (in it's current form) and the Macbook Pro (somewhat current form... with DVD drive, Ethernet & FW ports and everything).

Look at Steve's MWSF08 keynote... when he announced the name of the Macbook Air, he placed it in between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro. However, currently the Macbook has much higher specs than the Macbook Air (except for the lit keyboard and the thinness, but doesn't mean it's a better machine). Macbooks are going to lose their current form and become the new eReader/Kindle killer/PDA/Tablet/whatever.

Thoughts?

I think the reason Steve put it between the Macbook and Macbook Pro is because that's where it's price sits.

The Macbook starts at: £699 ($1099)
The Macbook Air starts at: £1199 ($1799)
The Macbook Pro starts at: £1299 ($1999)

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 06:49 PM
So have we reached any "definitive" consensus (as much as you can reach one on a rumors forum) as to whether or not the multi-touch trackpad like the MBA will be available as an update to already existing MBPs?

I doubt this is going to happen. The size of the actual trackpad on the MBA is larger than the others making it more realistic for the gestures

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 21, 2008, 06:55 PM
It's the same exterior design but thinner. Is thinner now a redesign? I thought a redesign was from iMac G4 to iMac G5, the G3 iBooks to the G4 iBooks, y'know what I mean?

jayfril
Jan 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
i could careless about the gestures. if they are gonna upgrade the processor and/or hard drive capacity - they better do it soon. i need to sell this 17" 2.16ghz dinosaur off before it becomes too extinct. :D

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
It's the same exterior design but thinner. Is thinner now a redesign? I thought a redesign was from iMac G4 to iMac G5, the G3 iBooks to the G4 iBooks, y'know what I mean?

Have you actually seen the new iMacs? Certainly looks more than just "Thinner" to me.

http://www.madebymark.com/101reasons/new-imac-g5.jpghttp://www.give-a-mac.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_iphoto.png

dante@sisna.com
Jan 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
in Q3 Intel releases quad core mobile cpus
Apple wants the Macbook Air to have the new "multitouch" exclusively for a short time

heres the low down

Yep -- this is how Apple usually does it.

This is my prediction as well.

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
Yep -- this is how Apple usually does it.

This is my prediction as well.

Would love the speed bump :D

Stridder44
Jan 21, 2008, 07:16 PM

I might be wrong but I think he was joking.

/dividing by zero causing a kernal panic? lol

Q3 Intel releases quad core mobile cpus

heres the low down

Sounds about right.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 07:31 PM

Thoughts?

Nope. Tablets suck. Nobody wants one. No keyboard, No screen protection, very unwieldy...

Apple needs an "inexpensive" laptop for people to check their email on at coffee shops etc.

I think the MacBook will be around as long as the MacBook Pro will.

Until people don't want physical keyboards, the clamshell will rule.

bj3949
Jan 21, 2008, 07:34 PM
Cool, but am I the only one that wants a multi-touch SCREEN??

gazfocus
Jan 21, 2008, 07:36 PM
Nope. Tablets suck. Nobody wants one. No keyboard, No screen protection, very unwieldy...

Apple needs an "inexpensive" laptop for people to check their email on at coffee shops etc.

I think the MacBook will be around as long as the MacBook Pro will.

Until people don't want physical keyboards, the clamshell will rule.

Apple won't replace the Macbook with a tablet because the Macbook is a consumer line notebook. If they were going to bring a tablet out, it would it would have been the Macbook Air.

BWhaler
Jan 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
Why are you so authoritative? I'm going to buy my first apple, maybe tomorrow, maybe in june...but knowing whether i have to wait until late may/june to get a design that isn't a couple years old would be nice... Whats the deal, BWhaler?

I'm not authoritative. If I were, I wouldn't be here.

And launch dates move frequently.

My advice is buy it when you want. No one who posts here works at Apple or knows any better.

tloder
Jan 21, 2008, 07:44 PM
I ordered it on Saturday because I need it now. If they did update it to a 2.6 standard I would save $200 on the processor update or spend it on a 2.8 upgrade if it was offered.

If you custom configured it to get the 200gb drive, which I think you did, you cannot return it. Even with a restocking fee.

I just found this out as Xmas when I bought one, and the buyers guide changed to don't buy the day after.

Stianu89
Jan 21, 2008, 07:47 PM

funny one ;)

corywoolf
Jan 21, 2008, 07:58 PM

Since when have they not? Do a vector trace of both and compare. Besides a change in materials and being slightly thinner, nothing has changed. The G3 to G4 to G5 iMac changes were revolutionary in many ways, the G5 to Intel to present have been bleh.

fabsgwu
Jan 21, 2008, 08:02 PM
The Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, despite similar prices, don't really compete with each other. Also the Air is kind of a flashy, 'get-you-in-the-door' product. People see this crazy thin laptop, and they walk into an Apple store to see it; but maybe they walk out with and iPod, Macbook or iMac. Also the multi-touch pad is just one feature of the Air, not the feature of the air (namely, its thinness and lightness).

That said, adding a multi-touch pad to the Pro really wouldn't cannibalize other Apple portables (Pro's already at a higher price point anyway). The feature would give Macbook Pros added value with a "hot" new feature that is currently exclusive to Mac, and Air die-hards would still opt for style over power. Simple win-win (/mac).

bj3949
Jan 21, 2008, 08:06 PM
The Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, despite similar prices, don't really compete with each other. Also the Air is kind of a flashy, 'get-you-in-the-door' product. People see this crazy thin laptop, and they walk into an Apple store to see it; but maybe they walk out with and iPod, Macbook or iMac. Also the multi-touch pad is just one feature of the Air, not the feature of the air (namely, its thinness and lightness).

That said, adding a multi-touch pad to the Pro really wouldn't cannibalize other Apple portables (Pro's already at a higher price point anyway). The feature would give Macbook Pros added value with a "hot" new feature that is currently exclusive to Mac, and Air die-hards would still opt for style over power. Simple win-win (/mac).

We need a multi-touch SCREEN!!!!
That would make the new MacBook Pro undeniable.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 08:07 PM
Since when have they not? Do a vector trace of both and compare. Besides a change in materials and being slightly thinner, nothing has changed. The G3 to G4 to G5 iMac changes were revolutionary in many ways, the G5 to Intel to present have been bleh.

Well a computer is just a screen... And the screen has to stay upright... there's not a whole lot someone can do with that besides just make the form factor smaller and thinner.

rtdunham
Jan 21, 2008, 08:21 PM
What does WWDC stand for?

google it.

akadmon
Jan 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
Cool, but am I the only one that wants a multi-touch SCREEN??

Thankfully James Joyce did not put the entire contents of Ulysses into the title, otherwise nobody would have ever read it (except for the typesetter, I suppose). I wish I could say the same about your post :rolleyes:

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 21, 2008, 08:54 PM
Have you actually seen the new iMacs? Certainly looks more than just "Thinner" to me.

http://www.madebymark.com/101reasons/new-imac-g5.jpghttp://www.give-a-mac.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_iphoto.png
And they made them silver?

corywoolf
Jan 21, 2008, 09:01 PM
Well a computer is just a screen... And the screen has to stay upright... there's not a whole lot someone can do with that besides just make the form factor smaller and thinner.
There is a lot they could do. Make the display swivel more like the G4 iMac. Allow horizontal swiveling. The new iMacs are gorgeous, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. Apple needs to start getting creative again (design wise). I am sure they have something awesome in the labs as we speak. I am just saying that I agree with the folks who see a slight stalling in Apple's iMac design progression.

audioadrenaline
Jan 21, 2008, 09:03 PM
We need a multi-touch SCREEN!!!!
That would make the new MacBook Pro undeniable.

I don't know... a multi-touch screen on the MBP? It sounds cool, but is it really practical? I guess I'm more of a skeptic than a dreamer.

Stella
Jan 21, 2008, 09:10 PM
I don't know... a multi-touch screen on the MBP? It sounds cool, but is it really practical? I guess I'm more of a skeptic than a dreamer.

It would be hard on the arms for a sustained length of time.

IMO, its better to mirror the screen in a similar way pen pads do, or something smaller such as track pads.

droo94
Jan 21, 2008, 09:51 PM

Thoughts?

I believe the MB is Apple's best-selling laptop. Why would they get rid of it?

Pippen Man
Jan 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
I believe the MB is Apple's best-selling laptop. Why would they get rid of it?

Its a laptop people. There is oh so much you can change about a laptop. Yeah, you can add new features and make it super thin, but in the end its still the screen opening up to a keyboard underneath. I can see Apple updating the workings inside of the MacBook and make it more appealing to today's markey. But other then that, why get rid of something that most people can afford and create a new product that is unbelievable, but people can't afford it?

lbeaumont
Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 PM
I really hope they upgrade by March - as I start uni then and would hate to buy a laptop that is gonna be upgraded shortly.

tigger26
Jan 21, 2008, 11:23 PM
I kind of figure this was coming, now let's get the rest updated.

Also Apple, how about a keyboard with that pad built in

digitalbiker
Jan 21, 2008, 11:28 PM
It would be hard on the arms for a sustained length of time.

IMO, its better to mirror the screen in a similar way pen pads do, or something smaller such as track pads.

What Apple should do is make the MBP display swivel 180 degrees and fold flat with a magnetic latch. That way the display could be a multi-touch display and act like a tablet pc.

Swivel the display the other way and open it for a conventional laptop with a multi-touch track pad and keyboard.

They need to use the flat square keyed keyboard with back light, add led back lit high-res display to take advantage of scalable UI in 10.5.2 or 10.5.3.

Finally Apple needs to make the HDD, SSD, battery, and optical drive all use a compatible connection with removable bays. That way one could remove the optical, go wireless, and use the unused bay to hold a second battery for a total of 10 hrs of continuous use.

It needs to be carbon fiber casing for strength and extreme light weight. We also don't need the outdated Aluminum housing reducing wifi performance in a wireless world.

Come on Apple, I dare you! Make my laptop.

macguymike
Jan 21, 2008, 11:34 PM
I may have missed it in the thread somewhere, but is it possible for MacBooks and McBook Pros with touch technology to have the software upgraded to allow for more gestures like those the Air allows?

omore1234
Jan 21, 2008, 11:43 PM
So when does everyone think an update or a model revision is going to take place for the MBP

This is my first post and I have no clue.

I hope the New model is out by Feb!

paul17win
Jan 21, 2008, 11:55 PM
read...maybe a little research would help also!!!!!

digitalbiker
Jan 21, 2008, 11:57 PM
So when does everyone think an update or a model revision is going to take place for the MBP

This is my first post and I have no clue.

I hope the New model is out by Feb!

It is hard to tell. The new mobile penryn chips are out as well as new GPU's so we could see a minor update in February or March. This might include new cpu, new gpu, new multi-touch touchpad, and keyboard, led back lit display.

In June the newest mobile technology from intel will be out. That tech will include much better performance, faster FSB, less power, and better battery life. So if I had to guess, I would guess that we won't see a major revision on the MBP design until June WWDC.

But who knows for sure. A completely re-vamped MBP could come out tomorrow with only a cpu change in June.

cthomet
Jan 22, 2008, 12:14 AM
ok so in the next MB upgrade (assuming its kept and not replaced with a tablet type thingy) what would we expect to change in terms of design? obviously there will be performance upgrades, but do you think we will see them go aluminum casing etc?

digitalbiker
Jan 22, 2008, 12:27 AM
ok so in the next MB upgrade (assuming its kept and not replaced with a tablet type thingy) what would we expect to change in terms of design? obviously there will be performance upgrades, but do you think we will see them go aluminum casing etc?

I doubt that the macbook design will change. It is relatively new and still seems pretty fresh. I think the macbook will see led backlit display, multi-touch track pad and cpu bump.

Apple definitely will not replace the macbook with a tablet. The macbook is a top seller.

cthomet
Jan 22, 2008, 12:33 AM
I doubt that the macbook design will change. It is relatively new and still seems pretty fresh. I think the macbook will see led backlit display, multi-touch track pad and cpu bump.

Apple definitely will not replace the macbook with a tablet. The macbook is a top seller.

agreed in that i dont think the MB will be replaced. that was suggested earlier and thats why i addressed it. however, if you look at all the apple products, they are aluminum and glass. thats the new look they are going for, and i like it. i dont know if they will keep the plastic of the MB. i guess thats my real question, will they change the MB outer material? i think yes but im open to other thoughts

BWhaler
Jan 22, 2008, 12:46 AM

Just to clarify since I don't want to misdirect my fellow enthusiasts here:

I don't know when Apple is going to release new laptops. (Or anything else for that matter.)

Tone and inflection doesn't come through on posts, so maybe people misunderstood what I was saying or the playful/humorous tone.

Folks should buy when they want to, not listen to a crazy person like me...

RoDe
Jan 22, 2008, 01:01 AM
I hope they do a little more with the next upgrade for the MBP's. Just a slight proc. bump and multitouch trackpad aren't good enough. The casing needs to be changed as well. I found the built quality to lacking. The damn thing was un even on the underside, so it had a wobble. The memory should get a speed bump too.

txhil
Jan 22, 2008, 01:58 AM
WAIT for what you WANT Grasshopper.....WHEN you SEE what you WANT...BUY IT... then it will be WORTH the WAIT!!!:

OdduWon
Jan 22, 2008, 02:23 AM
No update unitl MAY. (http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/31/intel-plots-successor-to-santa-rosa-with-penrynhttp://)
Robsen 2.0 is coming with Penryn capable Montevina chipset in Q2 (may)
If no update in the next few weeks, then none till spring.
The new chipset will include a case redesign and new trackpad utilizing the robsen/montevina architecture.

joefinan
Jan 22, 2008, 02:40 AM
The expected update to the MacBook Pro has reportedly been slightly delayed due to the necessity to complete work on the MacBook Air.

Isn't it about time Apple employed some more staff? This happened with the iPhone and Leopard, too.

matthewlesh
Jan 22, 2008, 03:37 AM
I know this may not mean very much but has any one noticed how on the Apple Store there are Refurbished MacBook Pro but no MacBook and at the US store it is the banner showing at the bottom right.. is it that they are already trying to get rid of stock?

emotion
Jan 22, 2008, 03:44 AM
Isn't it about time Apple employed some more staff? This happened with the iPhone and Leopard, too.

There's a rule of tech management that says that throwing more people at projects sometimes delays delivery dates.

It was actually written of software projects but it may apply to hardware too in this instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

johnnyjibbs
Jan 22, 2008, 05:38 AM
Apple Store is down. OK, so it's a little early still in the US but I've got a hunch that this is our MacBook Pros coming!!! With multi-touch trackpads, obviously. :p:cool:

zedsdead
Jan 22, 2008, 05:54 AM
Apple Store is down. OK, so it's a little early still in the US but I've got a hunch that this is our MacBook Pros coming!!! With multi-touch trackpads, obviously. :p:cool:

I doubt it. Apple usually shows off any kind of redesigns at Apple Events. If it is just the Trackpad, then maybe. But if they are giving it a new design with the Macbook Air keyboard, then I suspect it would be unveiled by Jobs.

Seems to be the Canadian iPhone and/or these rumored Pink Nano's. Probably a "Macbook Air: Now Shipping" slogan since all the stock models are ready to go it seems.

Pukey
Jan 22, 2008, 06:04 AM
Store is still down. Looking forward to the new MBP, but not counting on this being it. Probably still too early yet.
Not sure why anybody wants the MBA keyboard on the MBP. Those ugly black keys with the nice metal surface makes it look like a cheap PC. Hope they keep the MBP whatever it is all one color as they have been.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 22, 2008, 06:26 AM
I doubt it. Apple usually shows off any kind of redesigns at Apple Events. If it is just the Trackpad, then maybe. But if they are giving it a new design with the Macbook Air keyboard, then I suspect it would be unveiled by Jobs.

Seems to be the Canadian iPhone and/or these rumored Pink Nano's. Probably a "Macbook Air: Now Shipping" slogan since all the stock models are ready to go it seems.
Maybe, but we can dream, right? :D

I wouldn't imagine much (if any) of a redesign without a triumphant keynote speech, but then maybe they wanted to showcase the Air and give its slot in the limelight last week without anything else getting in the way for max impact. That said, changing the colour and look of the keys of the MBP, along with the trackpad, would not be particularly revolutionary new features - I think even Steve would struggle to get an audience oohhing and ahhing over that.

teme
Jan 22, 2008, 06:33 AM
Maybe, but we can dream, right? :D

I wouldn't imagine much (if any) of a redesign without a triumphant keynote speech, but then maybe they wanted to showcase the Air and give its slot in the limelight last week without anything else getting in the way for max impact. That said, changing the colour and look of the keys of the MBP, along with the trackpad, would not be particularly revolutionary new features - I think even Steve would struggle to get an audience oohhing and ahhing over that.

I agree, there's no point to have a keynote unless the product is really different than the previous model. An update with slight changes and speed bumps don't need a keynote.

emotion
Jan 22, 2008, 06:35 AM
I guess a small bump (same design) is possible. We're 6 months-ish from a redesign I suspect.

kenners
Jan 22, 2008, 06:44 AM
We are busy updating the store for you and will be back shortly.

Does this happen often or is this how they announce updates ?

RqThrottle
Jan 22, 2008, 07:02 AM
Besides the Penryn chip and speed bump, I want a Blue-Ray drive on my next 17 MBP. Apple is really behind the times on this matter. Oh, and since we are at it, migrate to LEDs on the 17s.

Squonk
Jan 22, 2008, 07:03 AM
8:01 Eastern Time - US Store still down.

Here's to hoping that today is the day for a MBP refresh. :cool:

Or at the very least, some really good website maintenance. store.apple.com seems snappier... :p

zedsdead
Jan 22, 2008, 07:06 AM
Besides the Penryn chip and speed bump, I want a Blue-Ray drive on my next 17 MBP. Apple is really behind the times on this matter. Oh, and since we are at it, migrate to LEDs on the 17s.

If they didn't put a Blu-Ray option in the Mac Pro, there is no way one is coming to the Macbook Pro two weeks later. NAB at the earliest.

teme
Jan 22, 2008, 07:07 AM

Or at the very least, some really good website maintenance. store.apple.com seems snappier... :p

European stores are still up, so I think this might be just an maintenance.

JSchwage
Jan 22, 2008, 07:10 AM
This is the time when I wish I hadn't bought my MacBook a couple months ago. It'll be interesting to see how much of a design change the MacBooks get also.

joemama
Jan 22, 2008, 07:14 AM

Oh Man, I hope some type of MBP update is coming today. My guess is just a speed bump, and the MT will be in June. That's fine with me - this way I know I can buy today in peace and not worry about the next thing until at least June.

Although, as someone already mentioned, Apple could introduce the MT on the MBP now that the "hype" from the MBA is over.

bking1000
Jan 22, 2008, 07:18 AM

There will be no blu-ray for Apple. Blu-ray is very expensive to build, because it requires all the HW to talk to each other, and it would cut into Apple's HW margins. Additionally, Apple wants to stress it's on-line purchase and rental content. Blu-ray would be going the other way. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't hold my breath for blu-ray.

Unless they were to sell an add-on Blu-ray drive that all your Macs can "borrow." :D

RaduD
Jan 22, 2008, 07:19 AM
European stores are still up, so I think this might be just an maintenance.

When the 2.6GHz option was introduced, it took a day for the UK store to have this option.

teme
Jan 22, 2008, 07:24 AM
There will be no blu-ray for Apple. Blu-ray is very expensive to build, because it requires all the HW to talk to each other, and it would cut into Apple's HW margins. Additionally, Apple wants to stress it's on-line purchase and rental content. Blu-ray would be going the other way. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't hold my breath for blu-ray.

Unless they were to sell an add-on Blu-ray drive that all your Macs can "borrow." :D

Expensive? Fujitsu-Siemens currently has a notebook (Amilo Xi 2550-23P) with bluray drive, same processor than MBP, 17" LED Full HD display, and it costs 1799 euros, while the cheapest 15" MBP costs 1899 euros.

joefinan
Jan 22, 2008, 07:25 AM

Blu-ray isn't just for films. It's also a 50GB storage medium. And don't forget people may want to write an edited film to BR to play on their home machine.

Squonk
Jan 22, 2008, 07:43 AM
Nothing to see here... (aka no MBP changes)

Store is up.

- Pink Nano
- Valentine shopping adverts
- restocking of the refurb systems - I think they have one of everything now...

bking1000
Jan 22, 2008, 07:49 AM

Damn you for being so right!!!!

Apple store updated and back on line, now with pink nanos :mad:

joemama
Jan 22, 2008, 07:51 AM
Are you kidding me a pink nano?

Boooo. I had my CCard ready too.

zedsdead
Jan 22, 2008, 07:59 AM
Damn you for being so right!!!!

Apple store updated and back on line, now with pink nanos :mad:

The first likely time for a new Macbook Pro would be if Jobs has a special event for the iPhone SDK unveiling. Before getting into it he might announce the update as that will take no more than five minutes. I am not expecting one until NAB in April though.

I was hoping for a "Macbook Air: Now Shipping" - It's still just sitting in a box waiting to be shipped somewhere in China.

diamond.g
Jan 22, 2008, 08:00 AM

Actually it would be in Apples best interest to add a BD drive to the Mac lines. Then they could lobby to have Managed copy create iTunes friendly versions of the movie (or tv show). This would work becuase noone said Managed copies are suppposed to be free. Plus you have a larger base of persons willing to buy iTunes stuff.

bking1000
Jan 22, 2008, 08:01 AM
Blu-ray isn't just for films. It's also a 50GB storage medium. And don't forget people may want to write an edited film to BR to play on their home machine.

Agreed, but that's what a consumer wants. I was referring to Apple's business plans. They had a perfect opportunity to put blu-ray in AppleTV, where it makes a lot of sense. Not done. They could put it in the mini, and drive sales there (lots of people use it for a media PC). Not done.

Instead, they offer a 1TB NAS, on-line rentals and iPods with giant drives that you can take to auntie's house, and show a movie there. I wouldn't bet my life savings on it, but I don't think Blu-ray fits in their plans. Not saying I know I'm right, but putting in BR hurts their other products, and is also the format pushed by a big-time competitor of theirs. (If I have BR, why do I need Apple TV? I can just download on my Mac, burn to BR, and play through my Sony product). Knowing Apple's "go it alone" mentality (e.g. Firewire) I could see them resisting BR.

Also, BR's expensive to implement and would drive up the cost on their products. Maybe in a top line MBP, but not in a MB or base MBP for some time, IMO.

btw -- if they do an update to the store this morning for pink nanos, does that mean there is now 0% chance of any other updates this week?

johnnyjibbs
Jan 22, 2008, 08:09 AM
Nothing to see here... (aka no MBP changes)

Store is up.

- Pink Nano
- Valentine shopping adverts
- restocking of the refurb systems - I think they have one of everything now...
Oh well, not today. But there's always next week... :eek:

johnnyjibbs
Jan 22, 2008, 08:29 AM
btw -- if they do an update to the store this morning for pink nanos, does that mean there is now 0% chance of any other updates this week?
That's it for today and almost certainly this week. Occasionally there have been updates on a day other than a Tuesday but these have been rare. Once, a couple of years ago, some major updates (might have been PowerBooks actually) came on a Wednesday because they weren't ready on the Tuesday they were supposed to be released on. But I would continue to breathe and sleep sound for another 7 nights... :D

Besides, I guess if there were updates today we would have heard a lot more about it (considering rumours were pretty much spot on before the MacBook Air). It's just I want a new MBP so bad... :cool:

jouster
Jan 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'd say those of you hoping for a new form-factor (and a significant specs upgrade) for the MPB should be pretty happy, as the lack of any announcement today increases the chances that whatever is coming next will be major. Anything announced today would just have been a drop-processor/HD/GPU.

Squonk
Jan 22, 2008, 09:35 AM
Anything announced today would just have been a drop-processor/HD/GPU.

Those are the only things that I'm hoping for in the next 2-4 weeks.

numbsafari
Jan 22, 2008, 10:11 AM

Could you prove that? I've been trying to find on google any information on whether or not existing track pads can produce enough information to reliably support multi-touch gestures. So far, I haven't found any.

I'd honestly be surprised if this "magically" worked with just a software update. Frankly, I think that if this "just worked" then you'd already see open source attempts at this. There is already a considerable amount of code out there to support mouse gestures, so I don't think it is a problem with being able to implement special algorithms.

Aurum
Jan 22, 2008, 10:14 AM
Do you think that apple will be updating the input device...instead of a mouse, a track pad? Seems more powerful considering gestures and all.

Cloudsurfer
Jan 22, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm sure it's possible, but look compare the trackpad sizes for a second (MBA vs MBP). The trackpad on the MBP is so much smaller, you'd probably run out of space real quick of you did all that fancy rotate and pinching stuff.

For this to work smoothly you just need a bigger pad, which unfortunately also means a smaller trackpad button. I have yet to try an Air out for myself, but that slim button doesn't look comfortable at all.

duykur
Jan 22, 2008, 08:45 PM
I might be the only one here that wants this but i really hope the macbook pro updates happen in june. By then i will have the money to buy one and hey it won't goout of style very soon.
:rolleyes:

omore1234
Jan 22, 2008, 09:23 PM
so we're still not sure if this possible "update" (that might take place in a few weeks) is going to be a new design model or just a small update, right?

if a new design, do you guys think it will resemble the thinness of the AIR? i know it can't be as thin but atleast a lot smaller than the current pro.:apple:

txhil
Jan 22, 2008, 10:39 PM
I'd say those of you hoping for a new form-factor (and a significant specs upgrade) for the MPB should be pretty happy, as the lack of any announcement today increases the chances that whatever is coming next will be major. Anything announced today would just have been a drop-processor/HD/GPU.

I lika the way you think!

petercooper
Jan 23, 2008, 05:28 AM
What's the big deal about this multi-touch stuff? It's a complete non feature. The right click, drag, and scrolling stuff already on the MacBook / MBP touchpads pretty much covers 99% of what you'd want to do, and I'm not sure I can see how the Sweep or Rotate features are particularly useful, since the arrow keys already do the former, and the rotate is a reasonably awkward hand movement to do anyway (iPod Touch / iPhone is proof of this), clicking Rotate Left / Rotate Right works a lot better. Bizarre feature, not sure why Apple is wasting time with it.

syndalis
Jan 23, 2008, 05:33 AM
What's the big deal about this multi-touch stuff? It's a complete non feature. The right click, drag, and scrolling stuff already on the MacBook / MBP touchpads pretty much covers 99% of what you'd want to do, and I'm not sure I can see how the Sweep or Rotate features are particularly useful, since the arrow keys already do the former, and the rotate is a reasonably awkward hand movement to do anyway (iPod Touch / iPhone is proof of this), clicking Rotate Left / Rotate Right works a lot better. Bizarre feature, not sure why Apple is wasting time with it.For my browsing needs, the only feature I am really clamoring for is the three finger sweep to go back/forward. Will make backing out of the page easier.

Anderson3133
Jan 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
I say "NO".

I don't see Apple releasing an update making the current MB's and MBP's multitouch. That would take away sales from the new MB's and MBP's.

I would have to disagree. These updates would not detract from MB and MBP sales, but would detract from MBA sales. Seeing as how now it would have almost no difference from the Macbook which is way more affordable. Therefore, the MBA would be left with even less of a difference between the MB, and Apple is not a company who makes their own products compete against one another.

pcmofo
Jan 23, 2008, 10:43 AM
If their were going to be a MBP update (and I hope their is) and we assume that it would need to be announced at some event. What is the soonest apple event that it could be announced at?

emotion
Jan 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
If their were going to be a MBP update (and I hope their is) and we assume that it would need to be announced at some event. What is the soonest apple event that it could be announced at?

I'd guess at NAB 2008:

http://www.nabshow.com/2008/eventInfo/default.asp

They've made big announcements there before. It is a little early for the Montevina update though but we'll see.

Lord Sam
Jan 23, 2008, 11:37 AM
I would love for that to happen. I can't wait for the upgrades. The only problem is, when will the next upgrade come?:confused:

Mal
Jan 23, 2008, 02:02 PM
I would have to disagree. These updates would not detract from MB and MBP sales, but would detract from MBA sales. Seeing as how now it would have almost no difference from the Macbook which is way more affordable. Therefore, the MBA would be left with even less of a difference between the MB, and Apple is not a company who makes their own products compete against one another.

The MacBook and MacBook Air don't really compete. For the target market of the MacBook Air, the looks, extra 2 pounds, and extra .5" inch on the MacBook simply rule it out, regardless of other features. I wouldn't expect them to even take that into consideration at this point.

Heck, maybe they'll finally give us the backlight keyboard on the MacBook too, since they don't really need it to distinguish the product lines anymore.

jW

Braindead360
Jan 23, 2008, 03:36 PM
I really hope that this happens soon. I was literally refreshing my browser every fifteen seconds during the Macworld keynote awaiting the MacBook announcements, so I could know when to get on apple.com to order my brand new MacBook Pro. To my dismay that announcement never came.:confused: Now I'm sitting here with what has to be the most irritating feeling I've ever experienced, to know that I have the money to purchase a new MacBook; and yet I'm afraid to spend it on account that I know that there is something that could completely blow the current models out of the water just over the horizon. All I'm asking of Apple is that they just issue an official announcement letting us know that they're coming and when they will be available.:apple:

GUSTO
Jan 23, 2008, 04:01 PM
I really hope that this happens soon. I was literally refreshing my browser every fifteen seconds during the Macworld keynote awaiting the MacBook announcements, so I could know when to get on apple.com to order my brand new MacBook Pro. To my dismay that announcement never came.:confused: Now I'm sitting here with what has to be the most irritating feeling I've ever experienced, to know that I have the money to purchase a new MacBook; and yet I'm afraid to spend it on account that I know that there is something that could completely blow the current models out of the water just over the horizon. All I'm asking of Apple is that they just issue an official announcement letting us know that they're coming and when they will be available.:apple:

I am in the same situation :( I can hold off possibly as late as March BUT THATS WHATS KILLING ME! THE WAIT!!!!!!

Aniej
Jan 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
In addition to the obvious Intel upgrades being rolled out, the only two things I would greatly like to see added to the MBP before it undergoes what will hopefully be a significant revision with Nahalem, are the addition of the MBA's multi-touch ability and magnetic latch. I hope AI and MR are correct in what they are hearing concerning an imminent February update.

basqarl
Jan 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
Will the multi-touch trackpad replace the need for mouse at all?

jsteinmann
Jan 26, 2008, 04:40 PM
I find it hard to believe that Apple would update the entire MacBook Pro line in a matter of a month or less when the Air has barely made a debut, of which no thunder will be removed.

I think people are being way to optimistic about this happening quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if updates didn't come until April/May time frame, and many disappointed people that held off buying a MBP for close to 6 months since the last updates were made.

Technology is always changing... and every 6 months you're always going to feel like you bought too soon. There's never a wrong time to buy a computer (or right time for that matter).

Aniej
Jan 26, 2008, 04:45 PM
Will the multi-touch trackpad replace the need for mouse at all?

I don't follow your logic about replacing the mouse? A trackpad acts like a fully functional mouse when used in conjunction with cmnd, opt, ctrl. Multitouch will add different capabilities that are, for the most part, not made available in current GUI.

Aniej
Jan 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
I find it hard to believe that Apple would update the entire MacBook Pro line in a matter of a month or less when the Air has barely made a debut, of which no thunder will be removed.

I think people are being way to optimistic about this happening quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if updates didn't come until April/May time frame, and many disappointed people that held off buying a MBP for close to 6 months since the last updates were made.

Technology is always changing... and every 6 months you're always going to feel like you bought too soon. There's never a wrong time to buy a computer (or right time for that matter).

True, but there are better times and worse times to buy. Also, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the April/May timeframe you just suggested is not only a pretty uninformed and wild guess in light of WWDC being held in June.

jsteinmann
Jan 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
people have been talking about "silent updates" coming.... and these don't require a conference.

the new case would be a June type update.

jb60606
Jan 27, 2008, 10:00 PM

profit margin on sub $500+/- machines are too slim; often non-existent.

Just ask DELL... they make nothing off of their low-end machines and often lose money if pressed by overstock. They only offer them to reel the customer in and hope that they choose the upgrades, alternatives, accessories, extended warranty and customer support.