Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccarty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Since before the MacWorld update I've been considering either buying an AppleTV or using an EyeTV on my iMac. (The problem for me is that my iMac is in the kitchen, 20 ft. away from the nearest coax.)

Now that the updates to AppleTV are out I'm still considering both options, but using a Mac Mini instead of the iMac. The way I've thought about it there are some pros and cons to either approach:

Apple TV:
  • Pro: $229
  • Pro: Can download HD rentals
  • Pro: Automatic syncing w/ iTunes
  • Pro: 802.11n
  • Con: no tuner/DVR functionality
  • Con: 40GB hard drive
  • Con: no DVD drive
Mac Mini + EyeTV:
  • Pro: tuner/DVR-like functions
  • Pro: DVD drive
  • Pro: actually a full networked computer running OS X
  • Pro: 80GB hard drive
  • Con: $750
  • Con: 802.11g
  • Con: no HD (iTunes) content
And of course there are some unknowns: could I share content between the Mini and iMac? Would it stream well enough over my home's wireless? Is it worth it to pay $200 to watch movies that I can rent by driving half a mile away? Is some solution with a Sling player better? etc.

My ideal usage would be a box that I could play DVD's on, rent DVD's on (a la the iTunes store), and use as a Tivo (without buying a Tivo). Going with the ATV seems to leave me out in the cold on the Tivo wish, and going with the Mini seems to leave me out in the cold with HD content.

My gut instinct tells me to get the Mini over the ATV but Apple's future looks like it's headed towards the ATV and my wifely unit will be harder to convince that a $700 purchase to watch TV and movies--which we currently do for free, though we gripe about the limitations of both--is worth it. Any other suggestions?

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
is HD content more important than DVR functionality? Do you watch feature films more than recorded tv?

If you are into feature films, the HD :apple:tv rentals seem pretty good.
If you are into recorded TV, the mini is better.

It depends on your watching habits, I guess.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Why not get the 160gb Apple TV which is only $100 more than the 40gb and still well under the price of the Mini and Eye TV? You already have an iMac, so the Apple TV will make a perfect companion. As for HD, yes I am disappointed that it is not on iTunes yet, but we all know that it will be eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.