PDA

View Full Version : 81% of Leopard users 'very satisfied'

MacBytes
Jan 21, 2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: 81% of Leopard users 'very satisfied' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080121170638)
Description:: ChangeWave report details surging Mac sales...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

walnuts
Jan 21, 2008, 04:26 PM
I don't know- this article seems kind of fishy to me. Its shows nearly the perfect curve that every mac fan boy would say - leopard, xp and then vista. Vista simply can't be that bad that at least two out of every three people weren't happy with it.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Vista simply can't be that bad that at least two out of every three people weren't happy with it.

Oh but it is. No programs work on it... its buggy... etc.

nagromme
Jan 21, 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know- this article seems kind of fishy to me. Its shows nearly the perfect curve that every mac fan boy would say - leopard, xp and then vista. Vista simply can't be that bad that at least two out of every three people weren't happy with it.

The stats are for "very satisfied." LOTS of people may be tolerating Vista. But they are not "VERY satisfied" as often as with XP and Leopard.

Use of the term "fan boy" suggests you may have a bias against accepting these results :p

http://www.changewave.com/assets/wavewire/012108_pcs3.gif

Rodimus Prime
Jan 21, 2008, 05:59 PM
I will say I believe Leopard numbers are artificially high because of the very large fanboyism for apple products will push it higher than it really is.

carbonmotion
Jan 21, 2008, 06:06 PM
I have no idea what people are complaining about with Vista. If you have a Vista certified machine like I do, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Plus Direct X 10 is amazing for shooters like Crysis and COD 4.

Techguy172
Jan 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
That's extremely bloated I can't see it being that high for leopard it's nice but I'm not very satisfied. Maybe people who don't do anything are happy but they don't really use the OS.

devilot
Jan 21, 2008, 06:59 PM
I looked at the linked article, but it doesn't say (I don't think) who they surveyed. For instance, the results wouldn't be so shocking if they only surveyed "customers" who primarily use OS X and/ or don't own/ usually use Windows boxes. :p

OldCorpse
Jan 21, 2008, 07:33 PM
This is a tricky statistic anyhow. Some folks seem to think that this means that 81% of all Mac OS users like Leopard, and nothing could be further from the truth. The majority of Mac OS users are still on Tiger, and many of those have no intention of downgrading to Leopard anytime soon. Of the minority who are actually on Leopard, well maybe 81% are happy, but that also includes pretty much ALL of the switchers who came from Windows, since all Apple computers now ship with Leopard. Of course, those folks are gonna be "happy" with Leopard, they have nothing to compare it to (except Vista or maybe XP). For me, I've played with Leopard in Apple stores, and I'm staying put with Tiger. If I can avoid Leopard altogether, I'd do it and wait for 10.6 which will hopefully be better. Unfortunately I'll need to buy a new iMac this year, so I may not be able to avoid Leopard... though maybe I can rassle up Tiger discs somewhere and put Tiger on it.

e-coli
Jan 21, 2008, 09:45 PM
I DEFINITELY wouldn't say I'm "very satisfied". More like "very curious to see when and how they're going to fix the myriad of issues that plague Leopard". Leopard, as released, should have been a beta. It was a disaster. And there are still numerous problems that need to be sorted out before this is a stable OS. I'd say 80+ percent satisfaction is a bit generous. (and I am, for all intents and purposes, a fanboy)

marclapierre13
Jan 21, 2008, 10:05 PM
I am over all very satisfied except for a couple small things. One thing I consider to be a very big issue is on my MBP sometimes after waking it from "sleep" my pointer becomes laggy, and not very responsive. I have to either let it sit for several hours (even this doesnt work always) or restart it to make it back to normal. I am very upset that apple would even think of releasing an OS with a problem this big.
Fix this, and I can live with any other small problems. And then in my eye the OS leopard is a big improvement over Tiger.(Mostly because of all the great software and OS advancements)

aosman
Jan 21, 2008, 10:08 PM
I am not surprised about this stat. I am very pleased with the features leopard brings me. I got a family pack for all my macs. Great deal. Love it.

Wild-Bill
Jan 21, 2008, 10:13 PM
I DEFINITELY wouldn't say I'm "very satisfied". More like "very curious to see when and how they're going to fix the myriad of issues that plague Leopard". Leopard, as released, should have been a beta. It was a disaster. And there are still numerous problems that need to be sorted out before this is a stable OS. I'd say 80+ percent satisfaction is a bit generous. (and I am, for all intents and purposes, a fanboy)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Agree wholeheartedly.

killerrobot
Jan 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
I looked at the linked article, but it doesn't say (I don't think) who they surveyed. For instance, the results wouldn't be so shocking if they only surveyed "customers" who primarily use OS X and/ or don't own/ usually use Windows boxes. :p

Well, I'd definitely imagine its harder to find leopard users if it were a completely random selection just based on the number of users of each OS. So one would tend to think that their questionnaire base was mainly OS X users.

Does anyone else think that most Leopard users have never used Vista before?
The way I see it is either they were already an OS X user and upgraded, they were using XP then switched to Leopard (most likely due to all the "switching" in my opinion) or they briefly used Vista then switched to Mac (least likely in my opinion because of the cost involved with Vista and then with switching over to Mac). I know there are some flaws to my reasoning, but it's just an idea.

NickFalk
Jan 22, 2008, 01:35 AM
I always find it funny when people argue against statistics.

Statistics are obviously just stastistics and to argue "they must be wrong because I don't agree!" tickles my funny-bone. If 81% are very happy 19% of the sample could still hate it...

For the record I would say I am very happy with Leopard. Yes it is flakey occasionally but all in all I find it a superior experience to Tiger in day-to-day work. And no, I'm not a recent switcher.

coopermac
Jan 22, 2008, 06:35 AM
This is a tricky statistic anyhow. Some folks seem to think that this means that 81% of all Mac OS users like Leopard, and nothing could be further from the truth. The majority of Mac OS users are still on Tiger, and many of those have no intention of downgrading to Leopard anytime soon. Of the minority who are actually on Leopard, well maybe 81% are happy, but that also includes pretty much ALL of the switchers who came from Windows, since all Apple computers now ship with Leopard. Of course, those folks are gonna be "happy" with Leopard, they have nothing to compare it to (except Vista or maybe XP). For me, I've played with Leopard in Apple stores, and I'm staying put with Tiger. If I can avoid Leopard altogether, I'd do it and wait for 10.6 which will hopefully be better. Unfortunately I'll need to buy a new iMac this year, so I may not be able to avoid Leopard... though maybe I can rassle up Tiger discs somewhere and put Tiger on it.

Signature says it all!!

I briefly used Tiger (as a switcher) and upgraded to Leopard recently. I found both excellent compared to XP and am glad I switched. My reason for switching was mainly that I didn't want Vista on my new laptop as it didn't seem to offer any more stability than XP and the fact that there were (and still are) lots of compatibility issues, not to mention the cost.

For all you long term Mac users, be gentle on us switchers, after all if it wasn't for the likes of us Apple couldn't afford to improve it's products;)

JSchwage
Jan 22, 2008, 07:08 AM
And I'm one of those 81%. :D

::Lisa::
Jan 22, 2008, 07:21 AM
And I'm one of those 81%. :DMe too! :)

dukeblue91
Jan 22, 2008, 08:06 AM
And I'm one of those 81%. :D

Me too :D

djellison
Jan 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
Oh but it is. No programs work on it... its buggy... etc.

Sorry - that's a complete lie 'no programs work on it'.

That's about as true as saying no programs work with Leopard. Yes - there are one or two problems, but every app I've tried ( apart from Adobe CS2 stuff, which has since been replaced ) worked.

I don't like Vista, I no longer use Vista, but if you're going to cite reasons why people hate it - at least use ones that are even slightly true.

Doug

BornAgainMac
Jan 22, 2008, 09:37 AM
I feel Leopard is better than Tiger overall. Any problems could easily be resolved with minor patches. Tiger was hard to beat and still better than any Linux or Windows version.

Muzzway
Jan 22, 2008, 09:39 AM
Assuming this is true, I'd like to see how many were very happy with Tiger.

ray648
Jan 22, 2008, 10:06 AM
I used to be reasonably happy on xp. Then when vista was released I tried it out as my pc needed reinstalling anyway and I got vista free through an MSDN subscription from work. I hated it, everything had been moved round for no apparent reason making it really difficult to use, the whole computer ran way slower than before, and every time I did anything I got security pop ups. A month later, I put xp back on.

Ive since purchased a macbook (running tiger) and an imac (running leopard) and am extremely happy with both.

jettredmont
Jan 22, 2008, 12:17 PM

Typical surveys include "Very Satisfied", "Satisfied", "Disappointed", and "Very Disappointed". 27% and 15% "Very Satisfied" with Vista Premium/Basic doesn't mean 2/3rds weren't happy; it means 2/3rds weren't "Very Satisfied".

It's a bit fishy that they don't include the full distributions on the report, and makes the numbers somewhat useless. However, it is possible that 70% of Vista users ranked themselves as "satisfied", yielding 85%+ in the "not unsatisfied" aka "happy" range.

Also, note that this was a survey of "ChangeWave Alliance Customers", which is described as "10,000 men and women embedded in key roles within the most dynamic industries in our economy today."

It is open for speculation about how that group's opinions might potentially differ substantially from the "average Joes'" opinions. It's also open to speculation what their response of "very satisfied with the Leopard OS on the machine I bought in the last 90 days" really means:

Was the machine for their personal use, or for an employee?
Is the machine used in a business environment or at home?
Are they comparing this to a previous Mac OS, or to Windows (likely XP or 2000)?

FWIW, I use all three OS's listed (along with a few not :) ) and I'd put myself as "very satisfied" with Leopard, "satisfied" with XP and Vista both. If it was a 1-10 scale, Leopard would sit at about 8, XP (and Win2k) at about 6, and Vista at about 5. Tiger would sit at 8 as well (it's more stable than Leopard of course, but lacks some very nice features of Leopard). That having been said, I'd not be answering the survey as I haven't bought a machine in the past 90 days (although Leopard has breathed new life into a few of my home boxes).

If I only had one OS to judge from, the question gets much harder. With nothing to compare it to, what level of pain is tolerable? I suspect most of the Windows respondents in the survey are in this boat, which pushes their responses towards middling rather than the extremes.

Eraserhead
Jan 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
I have no idea what people are complaining about with Vista.

For a start, the fact that they've renamed all their control panels for absolutely no purpose.

twoodcc
Jan 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
that looks good and all, but not sure about this article.

carbonmotion
Jan 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
For a start, the fact that they've renamed all their control panels for absolutely no purpose.

Ok yeah I guess I can see that. I personally don't get the DOC vs DOCX lack of backward compatibility.

thegman1234
Jan 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
...Vista simply can't be that bad that at least two out of every three people weren't happy with it.

It's very difficult to troubleshoot from what I've found, and Vista computers tend to need troubleshooting often. I go to college with a bunch of freshmen who just got new laptops with Vista and people always need help.

If it weren't so different from XP, and if it didn't take 5 minutes to restart, it might be easier to work with.