Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdownton

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
I wondered if anyone from the UK had bought an :apple:tv from the US, brought it back to the UK and managed to rent US movies on it?

I know that in itunes, you can buy US music if you get a US gift voucher but I don't know if they're stricter (like IP address mapping or something) about the movies.

Would be great to know (esp with the exchange rate) since if it works, I'm getting me one!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm pretty certain it would all tie in with your iTunes account. It seems to be the way everything works with iTunes purchases.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
More to the point, does it have that thing common to most apple products where by the plug bit can be slipped off and a new one added. If I haven't made myself clear I mean that on the iPod and powerbook there's a little square bit that is on the wall plug, this can be altered to allow for international plug differences.

Which is the best way to connect it to your TV, HDMI or component? I'm thinking about getting one from the US to link in with my US iTunes account... it's very, very tempting especially as I have yet to ever watch any HD content on my TV.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
More to the point, does it have that thing common to most apple products where by the plug bit can be slipped off and a new one added. If I haven't made myself clear I mean that on the iPod and powerbook there's a little square bit that is on the wall plug, this can be altered to allow for international plug differences.

Which is the best way to connect it to your TV, HDMI or component? I'm thinking about getting one from the US to link in with my US iTunes account... it's very, very tempting especially as I have yet to ever watch any HD content on my TV.

HDMI if you have it.

To answer the OP, that lies in if your iTunes account is in the US or UK, not where your appletv was purchased.

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
It should work if you have a US Billing address, even if you are anywhere else in the world

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
the only regional thing should be the itunes account you use, the hardware and software are the same (we'll know for sure in a week or 2)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.