Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
I know this has been asked several times but with apple tv take 2 happening now what do u all think? right now i have a ps3 and i stream movies to it from my desktop but so many times it says unsupported data.

i have over 400 avi movies on an external 1TB hd...i know i will have to convert them to mp4 but was wondering if it will be worth it. Also right now I only have a 802.11g router...how much better will going with the 802.11n be as far as trasnfer speed from my desktop to Atv.

i also have a mitsubishi 60" 1080p WD-62927 tv

my other question is this.... where i live i can only get 1.5mb dsl. how long would that take to downloaded a movie on the new itunes rental...or HD movie. it sucks but where i live that is all Qwest offers.

thanks
rockos

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I say to apple TV, although I am partial since I already own one. I would wait until Handbrake or other software can convert the audio to 5.1 before I start to convert movies (unless you don't care about 5.1). It is nice to have all movies organized and readily available on iphone, ipod and ATV.

I think Wireless G will do unless you already have connectivity issues (i.e. router is far away from ATV). 1.5 download is plenty as I only download at 1.1 a sec with my broadband cable modem.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I say to apple TV, although I am partial since I already own one. I would wait until Handbrake or other software can convert the audio to 5.1 before I start to convert movies (unless you don't care about 5.1). It is nice to have all movies organized and readily available on iphone, ipod and ATV.

I think Wireless G will do unless you already have connectivity issues (i.e. router is far away from ATV). 1.5 download is plenty as I only download at 1.1 a sec with my broadband cable modem.
Better hope they (they = Apple) also figure out a way to get the iPhone to recognize and play an AC3 file... I think this is the very reason why the videos available from the iTunes Store will not feature a 5.1 soundtrack. We might be able to get around this via the multiple langauge feature now available on the iPhone, but it is anyones guess at this point...

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
ATV has a much nicer interface than the PS3. I too get the Unsupported Data a lot. Even sometimes when it works one day and not the next...

Very frustrating.

Its more of a personal decision than anything else though. Is the PS3 good enough?

If you want ease of use (ie. for the family) go for it. If your happy with what you have and don't plan on using the rental stuff, there's no need for it.

eeboarder

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2005
Wyoming
I know this has been asked several times but with apple tv take 2 happening now what do u all think? right now i have a ps3 and i stream movies to it from my desktop but so many times it says unsupported data.

i have over 400 avi movies on an external 1TB hd...i know i will have to convert them to mp4 but was wondering if it will be worth it. Also right now I only have a 802.11g router...how much better will going with the 802.11n be as far as trasnfer speed from my desktop to Atv.

i also have a mitsubishi 60" 1080p WD-62927 tv

my other question is this.... where i live i can only get 1.5mb dsl. how long would that take to downloaded a movie on the new itunes rental...or HD movie. it sucks but where i live that is all Qwest offers.

thanks
rockos

Well, you could always softmod your AppleTV to accept *.AVI files and an external hard drive. It is pretty easy:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

At this point, you can't have the AppleTV modded with version 1.2 since it is so new. Hopefully, someone will figure out how to use the new update with a modded AppleTV soon.

I have a wireless-n network and can transfer at speeds up to 3.3 MB/s to my external 1 TB hard drive. Yes, bytes, not bits. It is very fast. In order to get that speed, you need a wireless-n computer AND router.

I looked very deeply into the PS3 and AppleTV as a Media Centers, and chose the AppleTV. The interface of the PS3 can't handle thousands of media files in a decent fashion. The AppleTV's interface wins in that respect. Also, I NEED to have a universal remote, and the PS3 doesn't have an IR port. I had to give up a good BluRay player by choosing the AppleTV, but the other factors did it for me.

rockos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
hey guys thanks for the replies....i ordered a 1TB time capsule today so i will get the 802.11n with my macbook and then when i get an ATV i will have the faster speed when needed.

yeah the ps3 sucks so often.

so no i have to figure out what will be best to leave my movies in avi or convert them to mp4.

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.