PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 vs. Low-budget intel

nige87
Jan 21, 2008, 05:10 PM
Just a quick question for you guys,

I currently own a Macbook, rev. A. 2.0 ghz Core Duo, 1GB ram. I want to get a desktop for more power in my applications. My primary apps are Photoshop and Logic Audio Pro. Here's the predicament..

I can get a dual 2.0 Ghz G5 Powermac for around a grand. For a bit more, you can get a brand new 20inch Intel iMac. What's the better option here for what I do? Logic Pro and all the plugins i need are universal binaries, so that's good.. I can use em with either. But will a dual 2.0 G5 stand up to the cheapest Intel iMac currently offered? Are there any other benefits of a G5?

Thanks!

Queso
Jan 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
Go with the iMac if the software you want to run is Universal. Although the G5 will keep up with it in speed terms today, more and more developers are going to be going Intel only over the next few years. So the iMac is a better investment for purchasing now.

QCassidy352
Jan 21, 2008, 05:19 PM
I say imac unless you need more than 4 GB of RAM (doubtful). The core 2 duo should be faster, plus it's covered by warranty.

andrewag
Jan 21, 2008, 06:13 PM
Get the iMac. I have a 2GHz PowerMac and compared to the new stuff these days (even lower end) it gets left behind in a lot of things.

errol
Jan 22, 2008, 08:38 AM
I agree unless the G5 is loaded with ram. My dualcore 2ghz has 8gb of RAM and it flies. It feels "teh snappy" compared to my Mac Pro with 5gb RAM.

With that said, I'd probably like to sell my G5 in favor of a portable (intel). Too many desktops :D

nige87
Feb 11, 2008, 05:13 PM
You really think that developers will start making software intel only?

mrkramer
Feb 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
You really think that developers will start making software intel only?

any new apps that are coming out now are intel only, games are intel only, and in another year or two most updated versions of major software will probably start being intel only.

booksacool1
Feb 11, 2008, 06:07 PM
any new apps that are coming out now are intel only, games are intel only, and in another year or two most updated versions of major software will probably start being intel only.

Ya, and newer stuff (games as you said) which comes from the PC will probably be intel only as it would save quite a bit of money to the developer.

Only advantage the G5 has is its graphics card is 'upgradeable'. But then again if new games are intel only...

Personally I think it would be foolish to buy a G5 now.

nige87
Feb 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
bookas, what did you hackintosh cost to build?