Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmptyPockets

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I get a ridiculous amount if interference when trying to listen to my iphone in the car.

Could someone recommend a way to play it in the car with no interference/best quality

Right now i am using a monster cassette adapter

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
If you're using a cassette adapter, changing how you connect isnt going to improve interference. Quality maybe, but interference will be picked up by the headunit/speakers no matter how you connect. I get interference occasioanly when listening to CDs.

Best quality is always a debatable question, but hard wire solutions are generally best. Stereos designed for iPod input should be best for quality, but not all function correctly with iPhone.

EmptyPockets

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I have a 2004 VW GTI.

If i get a car charger in addition to the cassette adapter then wouldn't this ground the iphone therby getting rid of most if not all the interference?

I get the same interference with my external laptop speakers connected to my MBP but when I place the iphone so that it is touching the metal of the MBP then the interference goes away. The MBP has to be plugged in to an outlet for this to work (I think)

edblor

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
It is clearly a grounding issue. I know that there is an iPod interface for most late model VWs. It attaches to the wiring harness behind your deck, and comes out as an iPod connector. I have seen it, and it is a very clean design!

G/L,

Ed

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Goodmans (in the UK) were doing a ridiculously cheap CD/Radio/MP3 player with an iPod dock the other day. Might be worth shopping around for a direct connection.

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Im using Monster icarcharger.
This is my second one. The first one works perfect at first, and it has the best quality when compare to other product, since it gets signal from the dock connector, which isnt limited to the amount of output like from the headphone jack. Plus, it has an aux output you connect, so its not like those radio signal or cassette tape.
After using for 2-3months, it dies.. I bought a new one, because it offers the best quality so far..
And i opened up my older one, and found out there is a broken wire in it.. so it can be fixed by soldering it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.