Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
i read that a fellow member on here had some fan issues with the computer booting up and it almost sounded the sam eas mine.. til i saw that he actually got to run his computer.

well i seem to be screwwed at this point.
yesterday i was downloading a movie on azureus (or waiting for it to connect to a seed) and was bored so i clicked on a video in the azureus library. as soon as i click that, the screen turns gray. says i need to reboot. im kinda p'd off cuz i was in the middle of something but i figure oh well stuff happens.

i turn it off and go to turn it back on, and NOTHING.
all i get is the white apple screen. no working gear, no anything.it just sits there with the white apple. if i let it run for 2 minutes or more, the fans all kick into overdrive and the computer sounds like its about to count down for liftoff!!!!

i tried loading it with the leopard disk in the dvdrom, nothing. a friend says hold in C as i start the computer. nothing. another friend says start while holding COMMAND. nothing.

i tried unplugging the main hard drive and just running the slave to see if i can do a new install on the secondary.. no response. just at first it gave me a tiny question mark in the middle of the screen. assuming it realized there was nothing to boot to. and it wouldnt load leopard. so i plug in the main hard drive again

go to power it up, while holding in COMMAND with leopard in the tray, and it starts to load!! i get online and tell my friend its working again. within 2 minutes of the computer running, the fans go into overdrive again! as soon as they powered up the computer froze and the fans made more n more noise, just like when the computer wouldnt boot at all... so i shut down n try again. now im back to square one with NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

so long story short, i have a white screen with a little apple in the center of my 23" screen.... and it just sits there til the turbo jets kick on!!

what do i doooooooooooooooooooo

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
What kind of G5 is this?

My recommendation, if your not good with tinkering computers, go to the nearest apple store.

Make an appointment with an Apple Genius, they'll look it over.

I killed my G5 on accident tinkering with it..static got to it...

Had no applecare, was a $700 repair...said screw that and I got a Mac Pro.

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
power mac g5
dual 2.5ghz.
6gb ram
over 500gb space total

im good at workin on computers but i dont know much of what im doin with a mac. never had issues like this on a PC. i was always able to fix it no problem. now im here with this left in the blank

also... the mac came with tiger installed, and he gave me a leopard disc so i did the upgrade. so its currently running.... or TRYING to run leopard

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
it seems it will only start after resting for a little.. and only if i hold in the COMMAND button while it loads.. weird but.. yeah

i just got it to boot up and the fans didnt go crazy, but after about 4 or 5 minutes, the gray screen came up and told me i need to reboot... n now it wont boot. '

this has to be something overheating. can some1 chime in please?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
The 2.5 Ghz had liquid cooling, and those were serious troublemakers.

I've heard some people say that they got a Mac Pro from Apple because the company that makes the liquid cooling went down the toilet. I may be wrong so don't quote me on this..

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
yeah i tried that and it didnt do anything. i called apple care last night n was on the phon with them for 53 minutes. nothing came out of it. im gonna have to take it to an apple store and hopefully it doesnt cost me too much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.