Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agdickinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
I've finally decided to get a G5 Dual 2Ghz, now it's a question of the screen to view it on.

It's more down to CRT vs. LCD, I've got around £340 ($500) as a maximum to spend on a screen..

I have ADC discount and know I could get the 17inch for around £450 but that's quite a bit for a screen...

I'm stretching myself on the G5 Dual nevermind a Monitor. So I'm after help on Good Monitors upto £340 ($500) mark.

I know there are fairly good 19inch CRT's and deskspace is not too much of a problem, so not getting an LCD for now would not be a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew
:O)

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
I'm in the same boat.
Waffling between a Dual G5 with 17" LCD or a 1.8 G5 and a 20" LCD.
I'm just waiting for the moment when I say "ah crap, its only money" and get a Dual G5 and 20" LCD :D

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Originally posted by Tim Flynn
I'm just waiting for the moment when I say "ah crap, its only money" and get a Dual G5 and 20" LCD :D

That's what I did. Heh heh.

It took me about 3 months of mulling it over and an unexpected bonus, though.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Yeah, right. If you maxed out one credit card, just apply for another one. And when you don't have money to meet the minimum, ain't nothing like good old chapter 11. Sure, get yourself a Dual G5 and a pair of 23s.

Anyway, Samsung 172T's quite nice. I mena really, who still buys 21" CRTs. Don't answer that, some people just naive to the core.

Blackstealth

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Bradford, UK
I've heard very good things about the 19" Lacie Electron Blue, which I've seen for about £350. But like the 17" studio display it's a lot for a single screen (although I admit I did cave in and buy a 17" Studio and am pleased as punch with it).

But I'd also suggest looking on eBay (in the Unix section) for the newer Sun monitors - the 21" flat screen ones (with dual inputs) seem to go for £150 - £250, I've got two on my desk here and I can't fault them at all.

agdickinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
19" CRT (David Blaine to Electron Blue)

Well after looking at the pennies I've decided to go for a 19" CRT, and save up for a 17" Studio (or depending upon the Lotto results a 20" Studio <fingers-crossed>)

I've realised if I don't eat for a month the Electron Blue is in my price range....

Well I've heard from Apple that my Dual 2Ghz should ship Monday :D , time to get the monitor :)

I could do a David Blaine and not eat for 44days/nights then the Electron Blue could be good :O)

:eek: no pizza for 44 days/nights HELP

Andrew

agdickinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Iiyama VM Pro 455 19" Diamondtron

I've just ordered a Iiyama VM Pro 455 19" Diamondtron. It's only £170 (including Tax), so should give me what I want for 6 months whilst i save up for an LCD. Who know's I might just keep it.

:)

Looks like a really nice display, not an LCD (but at least there won't be any dead pixels), but a nice 18" viewable area.

All I need now is the G5 which is on a Van (Truck) somewhere in Ireland, on it's way over here :)

Come on TNT hurry up...

:)

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You probably made the right choice.

It would be better to get a cheaper monitor now and save up for a real nice one later.

Of course, after you use an LCD for awhile, you won't be able to go back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.