Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Yup used to this treatment now unfortunately :(

on the upside, if you treat it right, you really shouldn't need a new battery for atleast 2 years, prices may well be different by then.

MrKobie

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah, but if you've got any problems with the battery at all after it's a few months old (short of it exploding), thier not going to replace it.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Yeah, but if you've got any problems with the battery at all after it's a few months old (short of it exploding), thier not going to replace it.

As long as your still in your warranty period, apple will replace it free of charge. You can get coverage on the whole machine (including battery) for 3 years for not much more than the price of the battery.

TanToday

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Look, the aftermarkets will have BETTER ones out in three months, at 1/2 the cost.

And anyone with the ability to work a regular screwdriver and ten spare minutes will have the old one out, and the new one IN, bingo-bango.

And if they are too scared to do this alone, and many will be, the battery companies will have VIDEOS of how to do the replacement sent to you WITH the battery on a DVD and your KID can do it, or his or her friend, or ANYONE that can work a screwdriver.

Sheesh, some of you guys really REALLY are whiners, aren't you?

child.jpg

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
I hope thats not aimed at me! :)

I feel like an island of calm in the storm the MacBook Air has created, ive never seen this forum so opinionated before! some of the MBA threads in here are just crazy.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
As long as your still in your warranty period, apple will replace it free of charge. You can get coverage on the whole machine (including battery) for 3 years for not much more than the price of the battery.

is this for definite? i've been trying to read up about this. when i bought my macbook the sales guy said applecare is definitely worth it because a new battery is more than £50 (student discount :)) and once you've had it a couple of years it'll need a new one, and you can get it replaced for free with applecare.

but i've read a couple of sites and forums that have said they'd only replace it if it's abnormally reduced in charge and capacity. :confused: who knows. once mine starts running out tho i'd definitely try and get one from applecare, cos i'm a cheeky sod :p

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
All sites point to the battery being user replaceable by unscrewing the back of the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.