Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be announcing their financial results for their first fiscal quarter of 2008 (4th calendar quarter of 2007) and answering questions during a conference call today at 2PM PT, 5PM ET. As usual, the call will be webcast live via QuickTime.

Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements. For more information on the factors that could influence results, please refer to Apple’s SEC filings.

Last quarter included consumer holiday purchasing. Apple had updated all of its iPods in September and the MacBook in early November prior to the holiday shopping period.

See Also: 1Q 2007 Results ($1 Billion Profit)

Article Link

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
As usual investors will ask about things and Steve will say that Apple doesn't comment on unreleased products. Wonder what their profit will be ?

Do you think they'll release AppleTV unit sales ?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Normally I have no interest in these financial calls, but out of curiosity, didn't Steve say at Macworld that the 4M iPhone sales figure didn't include holiday sales? Does that mean this call today will include updated numbers and a more up-to-date sales figure for the iPhone?

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
Normally I have no interest in these financial calls, but out of curiosity, didn't Steve say at Macworld that the 4M iPhone sales figure didn't include holiday sales? Does that mean this call today will include updated numbers and a more up-to-date sales figure for the iPhone?

Is this for real?
That would be killer if it did not include holiday sales.
Anyone have a source for this, either way?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005

No, it *did* include holiday sales.

However, the chart he showed giving iPhone 20% US Smartphone share was based on the latest Gartner (I think) information, which was for the first quarter of iPhone sales (so thus not including the holiday period, as this information isnt available yet.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Hopefully it gives the stock a lift, the market got hammered this morning and APPL lost $15. Tough times they are.

Yeah, but now it is only down $2.....I missed out this morning. I swore I would buy more once it went below $150 and I decided to sleep in and come to work late today.....got here in time to see it around $153....:mad:

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
Yeah, but now it is only down $2.....I missed out this morning. I swore I would buy more once it went below $150 and I decided to sleep in and come to work late today.....got here in time to see it around $153....:mad:

Do you mess with options at all?

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
opening trade numbers

opening trade numbers for tomorrow should take a jump after the bell since the conf call begins at 5 EST, so if yer lookin to buy, get in today while it's still relatively low

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Let's see:
Apple stock takes a dive, while sales were well above expectation, iPod sales where a sly bit below expectations. Everyone then predicts that Apple can not continue their upward swing, as such the stock drops.

Just like last quater.

macsforme

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
The buyer's guide link for the MacBook seems to point to the contributer's-only section, and not the public section. I got a weird error when I clicked it...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I wouldn't even try to predict how AAPL will move today. The conditions within the broader market will be the controlling factor. No matter what the numbers show, the markets are in a black mood and they are thinking less about now and more about six months down the road.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Someone needs to ask why no HD on iTunes, only Apple TV and why the content can't be transferred or purchased for that matter. Paying $5.00 for a movie and having it locked in place is rediculous.

GregND

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah AAPL

I didn't get in at the low I did buy at $155. It's going up ($158 now) and should rise more tomorrow after the financials come out.

Thank you recession! I've been waiting for this dip for a while.

Pandaboots

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Dallas, Texas
It's amazing how much effect the US economy has on the world economy. Every major stock market sold off yesterday in speculation of the US economy going into recession. These are indeed bad economic times for all of us. Apple is in the economic spotlight and with more pressure than ever. Apple's earnings call today can and will affect worldwide markets. I really hope their revenues and profits are as good as I'm hoping they will be for all of our sakes. I think if people see that a tech/retail company can do well during this uncertain times, then all hope isn't lost. ***crossing fingers***

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
It's amazing how much effect the US economy has on the world economy. Every major stock market sold off yesterday in speculation of the US economy going into recession. These are indeed bad economic times for all of us. Apple is in the economic spotlight and with more pressure than ever. Apple's earnings call today can and will affect worldwide markets. I really hope their revenues and profits are as good as I'm hoping they will be for all of our sakes. I think if people see that a tech/retail company can do well during this uncertain times, then all hope isn't lost. ***crossing fingers***

Yeah. The US economy has a large impact on the rest of the world. I wonder if something were to happen in japan or china we would see similar worldwide results.Some markets are bouncing back now that the Federal Reserve cut the intrest rates however:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7201658.stm

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Conference calls can be important

As usual investors will ask about things and Steve will say that Apple doesn't comment on unreleased products.

In 2006, Peter Oppenheimer made the following comment on the Apple conference call:

"As regards cell phones, we don't think that the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time, that is likely to change. And we're not sitting around doing nothing."

... Basically confirming the iPhone, which was announced in January 2007.

So, conference calls can, in fact, deal with unreleased products. Usually they don't, but it's not unprecedented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.