PDA

View Full Version : Converting movies: I think i tried it all.

DennisVR
Jan 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
I purchased Quicktime Pro, but it isn't rendering in the subtitles. Perian's subtitles aren't working either since Leopard.

So i bought Visualhub but it doesn't have subtitles at all.

ffmpegx seems to be the best solution sofar. But it's settings are unpredictable(atleast to me) and i'm having mixed results. Futhermore development seems to have stopped since 2006.

What other options do i have left ? Or which of the above should i give another chance ? Subtitles are important ;)

Jan 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
I purchased Quicktime Pro, but it isn't rendering in the subtitles. Perian's subtitles aren't working either since Leopard.

So i bought Visualhub but it doesn't have subtitles at all.

ffmpegx seems to be the best solution sofar. But it's settings are unpredictable(atleast to me) and i'm having mixed results. Futhermore development seems to have stopped since 2006.

What other options do i have left ? Or which of the above should i give another chance ? Subtitles are important ;)

Handbrake. Works perfectly with subtitles.

bacaramac
Jan 22, 2008, 02:59 PM
Handbrake. Works perfectly with subtitles.

And it's free!!

DennisVR
Jan 22, 2008, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately Handbrake only works with DVDs(afaik). And since i already have those ripped to my harddisk as DIVX i prefer to avoid the disk juggling ;)

DennisVR
Jan 22, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think i've found it: Submerge from www.bitfield.se It also has an export to Apple TV option.

frankiepdx
Jan 22, 2008, 04:33 PM
Have you tried iTunes Drive in? http://users.skynet.be/fc047310/DriveIn/Home.html

I don't know if it will work but at least it will tell you quickly.

omni
Jan 22, 2008, 04:53 PM
Can you toggle the subtitles on and off?

Normally I don't want them on but sometimes it's nice to turn them on when the woman is sleeping and I still want to watch TV but not wake her up.

DennisVR
Jan 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
Have you tried iTunes Drive in? http://users.skynet.be/fc047310/DriveIn/Home.html

I don't know if it will work but at least it will tell you quickly.

Seems like it relies on Perian for subtitles, which isn't working currently with Leopard.

speakerwizard
Jan 22, 2008, 06:36 PM
visualhub for other codecs/containers and handbrake for dvds