Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Me and Lee both reported this at the same time but since this thread is going Im gonna ask mine be closed.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Very sad :(

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/

January 22, 2008, 4:42 pm
Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead

By Sewell Chan

The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment building at 421 Broome Street in SoHo, according to the New York City police. Mr. Ledger was 28.

At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived at Apartment 5A in the building for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of Mr. Ledger’s bedroom. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger unconscious. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities. The police said they did not suspect foul play and said they found pills near body.

Mr. Ledger, a native of Perth, Australia, won acclaim for his role as a co-star in “Brokeback Mountain”, a 2005 film. The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.”

Calls by The New York Times to Mara Buxbaum, a publicist for Mr. Ledger, and Steve Alexander, the actor’s agent, were not immediately returned this afternoon.

I wonder what caused this? I'm suspecting drug overdose if there was a bottle of pills.

And what happens to movies like The Dark Knight when one of the lead actors dies?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Depends how far along the movie is in shooting. They can either scrap the film or rewrite it.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
whoa..
i thought this was a joke at first

never really seen any of his movies, and havnt heard about him until brokeback mountain, but all the same

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Whoa!

And I just got my Blu-ray edition of "A Knight's Tale" that Amazon had on sale and was going to watch today. That has to be one of my favorite movies ever...

RIP... you will be missed...
:(

EDIT: Oh, and waiting for my copy of "The Patriot" as part of the 5 free discs... So sad when this happens to someone famous.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
from what i'm reading it seems like a suicide. but i don't. really shocking, he was a very good actor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.