Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kewl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
This should be very basic, but I don't get it, so here it goes....

Is it possible to use the iPhone like a regular phone (holding up to the ear)? I know it works great with the headphones/bluetooth/speakerphone. But it is possilble to hold a private conversation without something plugged into the phone? And is the speaker and microphone at the bottom? Do you guys hold the phone upside down to listen when you're using the phone outside, because I find the speaker isn't very loud.

Thanks!

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I use it as a regular handset very often. Pretty much on all short calls.

There is a speaker at the top of the device right in our ear. No need to hold it upside down.

kewl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
This is so funny. My wife (she has and iphone too) and I are calling each other trying to figure this out. Without the speakerphone, we can hear each other faintly but only if it's really quiet. We can't quite figure out where the sound is coming from or how to adjust it. Any help would be appreciated. :)

kewl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Figured it out!

Duh.

We both left on the plastic (original) to protect the face of the phone, so it's been muffling the handset speaker. Duh. My bad.

Problem solved.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Haha, the proximity sensor is just there for the hell of it, they really don't want your face anywhere close to the phone! :rolleyes:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I was going to suggest taking it out of the box but it sounds like you managed that part. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.