Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalMin

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
If you can only sync to it, and you can't store movies on it, then what makes the 160gb worthwhile?

I'd be happy with 40gb of content on most days even though my mac stores a lot more. Am I missing something here???

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
If you can only sync to it, and you can't store movies on it, then what makes the 160gb worthwhile?

I'd be happy with 40gb of content on most days even though my mac stores a lot more. Am I missing something here???

Syncing IS storing data on it. It's like syncing music to your iPod. Same with Movies.

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo

I have never filled my :apple:TV HDD, 40G is okay for me to keep unwatched TV, movies and 3000 photos on. I have also not had much of a problem streaming to the :apple:TV over g, I guess n would have no problems.

I guess it's just the time it takes to load and play if you want to watch something you have not sync'ed earlier and/or your network is slow. More choice straight from the box without having your Mac running.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I already have over 100GB of movies/TV shows on my :apple:TV. It took close to 4 hours to sync, but now I never have to turn my MacBook on to watch something.

CalMin

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
OK. I think I get it. Thanks for the replies. I'll probably get the 160 - just because I usually buy the best of anything that I can afford.

Pity you can't store your movies on there officially (without the delete from finder workaround). My mac HD space is too precious to store lots of movies that I will only watch occasionally.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have the 160GB :apple:TV and I'm beginning to see the day when it will be full.

Your iTunes by default copies files you drag into it in its library but you can turn that off. You can also turn it off temporarily so that large files --like movies-- stay in their current location.

So here's what I do...

1 - Rip my DVDs with Handbrake on to an external HDD I have for all my movies.
2 - OPTION + Drag the movie into iTunes. This adds a link of the file to iTunes without copying the file into my MacBook Pro's HDD.
3 - :apple:TV starts syncing the file
3 - The file is now on the :apple:TV and I can disconnect the external drive and :apple:TV will play it without my Mac on.

Works beautifully :D

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
... and by the way. I had only just a few gigs left on my MBP. It was beginning to worry me.

After I started using this workflow, I decided to do the same to all my TV shows and music videos. If I want to sync them to my iPod, I just need to remember to have my external HDD connected when I do the sync.

Once Take 2 arrives in a few days, I'll be able to delete all my podcasts off my MacBook Pro and reclaim nearly 10GB of space back.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I have the 160GB :apple:TV and I'm beginning to see the day when it will be full.

Your iTunes by default copies files you drag into it in its library but you can turn that off. You can also turn it off temporarily so that large files --like movies-- stay in their current location.

So here's what I do...

1 - Rip my DVDs with Handbrake on to an external HDD I have for all my movies.
2 - OPTION + Drag the movie into iTunes. This adds a link of the file to iTunes without copying the file into my MacBook Pro's HDD.
3 - :apple:TV starts syncing the file
3 - The file is now on the :apple:TV and I can disconnect the external drive and :apple:TV will play it without my Mac on.

Works beautifully :D

But, you could do the exact same thing with a 40GB :apple:TV, right? The only difference is that you woudl be 'streaming' instead of 'syncing' the content.

The functionality is the same.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
But, you could do the exact same thing with a 40GB :apple:TV, right? The only difference is that you woudl be 'streaming' instead of 'syncing' the content.

Except then the external drive would need to be on and connected when you want to play the file. Not always an issue if you have a desktop, but not great if you use a laptop and don't always want it hooked up.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

The functionality is the same... to an extent.

The purpose of having a large HDD on your :apple:TV is to not depend on your computer. I want my :apple:TV to be a living room device that is capable of streaming content from my computers if need be, but is self reliant.

I don't want to have to go open my MacBook Pro and open iTunes to be able to watch content when I'm on the couch. I want to be able to turn around, grab the remote and start using my :apple:TV.

160GB is good... but I have a feeling that when I'm done with unloading all my DVDs into the device, I'll have very little left.

Regardless, the :apple:TV still holds the same value that it had when I bought it -- actually, it has more now with Take 2 -- so I can't complain. When Apple starts streaming all HD content (TV shows, music videos, Movie rentals), a 160GB drive won't be enough and I'm sure we'll see a 1TB :apple:TV hit the shelves and I'll consider getting another one at that point.

For now.. 40GB is too small, 160GB is just right :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.