Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvanAgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
DFW Texas
The company I work for is going to buy either a 16gb iPod Touch OR an iPhone for me to use for website development testing purposes. So far I've been leaning towards the touch because of the amount of storage space, but I'm still a little torn for a couple of reasons, one of which is the fact that you can only connect online via WiFi. Whereas the iPhone can connect online through EDGE OR WiFi.

So what I'm wondering is this, have any of you felt like the iPod Touch wasn't quite as useful if you weren't in range of a WiFi connection? Every time I think of a scenario when the various apps on the Touch would be useful it's typically a time when WiFi wouldn't be available. For example, using the Maps feature while traveling down the road, or checking your email when you're nowhere near a hotspot.

I'm a little worried that I'll get the Touch and feel like I've replaced my 60gb iPod Classic with a smaller storage model (with a bigger screen) that sometimes has these cool web-realted features.

What has your experience been like? Keep in mind that I already have a MacBook Pro.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
If you're more like a media person that likes to watch alot of movies or listen to a lot of music on the go then the 16GB touch seems perfect. But if you're more like a nerdy type that works with internet a lot, i'll say the iphone (although in this case i'd recommend the BlackBerry). Just keep in mind that the iphone's internet connection on EDGE (without WIFI) is extremely slow (it doesn't support 3G like the blackberry), sometimes takes 3 mins to load the NYTimes page.

Still, If i don't have to pay the 2 year contract with AT&T or the monthly data plan, i'd get the iphone.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
So what I'm wondering is this, have any of you felt like the iPod Touch wasn't quite as useful if you weren't in range of a WiFi connection? Every time I think of a scenario when the various apps on the Touch would be useful it's typically a time when WiFi wouldn't be available.

For me, I would say it borders on "useless"

The only times I need the apps (maps, email, etc) are when I do not have wi-fi (in my car, on the train, etc).

If you need frequent internet, you'll want the phone. I'd love the phone instead of my Touch, but AT&T is so poor that I've chosen to keep both a Touch and a Treo 700w on Verizon until Apple resolves the bad network issue with the iPhone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The company I work for is going to buy either a 16gb iPod Touch OR an iPhone for me to use for website development testing purposes.
So are you going to use it for website development purposes, or is it going to replace your existing personal iPod? :confused:

If you're going to use it for website development purposes and you know people with iPhones will be visiting your sites, then I'd say get an iPhone so that you're aware of the experience they'll be having. (load times on EDGE, etc)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
If you're going to use it for website development purposes and you know people with iPhones will be visiting your sites, then I'd say get an iPhone so that you're aware of the experience they'll be having. (load times on EDGE, etc)
That's my suggestion as well.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
I'd say wifi only is pretty good for me. If I'm going to be out of a wifi area for a while I'd go into RSS and update my feeds and then retrieve my mail. I can then catch up on my news, reply to emails and when I'm at a wifi point just send it out. Majority of the time though when I'm out of the wifi area I'd just like to listen to podcasts on my drive to work. (This is of course with a hacked iPod touch for the RSS reader)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
So are you going to use it for website development purposes, or is it going to replace your existing personal iPod? :confused:

Bingo. I can't say much more than that. aristobrat nailed it.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I personally find that i'm normally in a wifi zone, and unlike many here just because i'm somewhere with wifi doesn't mean I have my laptop.

That said, if your company is paying for it i'd def. go with iPhone.

Quasiportnoy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Go for the iPhone. It'll be connected in more places, and you'll always have the option of WiFi.

I don't mind having the Wifi only since I wasn't expecting more, and didn't/don't need more. I have an 8 gig touch, by the way.

Plus, if your company is footing the bill for the iPhone, go for it. ;)

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
In my travels, it is very, very rare that my touch finds a usable WiFi signal. The vast majority of the ones it "sees" are closed, or require some sort of payment to access the internet. I'd say maybe 5% (1 in 20) are usable for email and internet. On the whole I find using the touch for this extremely frustrating. As so many have said for so long, the iPhone is a communications device with iPod functionality added; the touch is an iPod with internet functionality added. If you want to sit in your office next to your WiFi router and check to see that your sites display properly, the touch will be fine. Expect anything more and you'll be disappointed. :apple:

herve5

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
"web site development"?!

real web site dvt will be very hard on either machine.
You indeed can install e. g. PHP like I did, and then try to run wikis and other apps, but you'll immediately discover only the "lightest" of these applications will really run fast (and in addition, many will be a real pain as concerns GUI on the small screen)
For me, PHP applications and the like, on a Touch or IP, can only be very simple notetaking applications, multicalendar calendar clients etc.

Other than this, if you want to expand the Touch towards telephony, you have an actually working SIP phone on the touch (although prebuild microphones are still hard tou find): this'll allow you phonelike capacities whenever in view of an open wifi (and just that)

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
In my travels, it is very, very rare that my touch finds a usable WiFi signal. The vast majority of the ones it "sees" are closed, or require some sort of payment to access the internet. I'd say maybe 5% (1 in 20) are usable for email and internet. On the whole I find using the touch for this extremely frustrating. As so many have said for so long, the iPhone is a communications device with iPod functionality added; the touch is an iPod with internet functionality added. If you want to sit in your office next to your WiFi router and check to see that your sites display properly, the touch will be fine. Expect anything more and you'll be disappointed. :apple:

what he said

EvanAgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
DFW Texas
Thanks everyone!

I have since decided to go for the iPhone for the same reasons that aristobrat pointed out. I will be using this, in large part anyway, for web development testing. So it would be nice to be able to test load times over EDGE.

I'm really hoping that AT&T service isn't too bad around here, though I'm not expecting much so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.