Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Here's an excerpt from my buddy's blog. He obviously doesn't like the Wii, but regardless, I found this amusing... ;) For the record, these are his opinions, not mine... ;) :cool:

Let's consider the features of these systems:

Wii - Includes novelty remote control and far less processing power than its competitors. Flagship game features hidden message "U R MR GAY" in the title. The best games for the system are pretty much just the ones that feature a gay plumber who stole most of his wardrobe from Mickey Mouse, or old mascots they bought up from other companies. No HD video support.

XB360 - MS finally got a proper design out rather than releasing a disguised PC (celeron.. hahaha). HD format discs not supported out of the box and requires an add-on HD-DVD drive just for HD movie playback (add-on easily pushes the cost up to match the PS3's price). Subscription online service. Game focus seems to be on first person shooters and driving games.

PS3 - Easily sports the most features "out of the box"... Blu-Ray drive included, HD capable, motion-sensing controller. Free online gaming service. Motion sensing controller reportedly "flakier" than the Wii remote. Blu Ray VS HD DVD format war could be problematic if Blu Ray "loses" (think: Beta tapes)

Apparently people are really stupid if they are willing to pay more for a Wii than an XB360 or a PS3. Maybe they just love gay plumbers?

Spontaneous Rant:

WTF IS IT WITH MARIO ANYWAYS??!!! Geez... the little bastard annoyed me back in the 80's with his "EETSA MEE, MARIO!" castrati voice. He still annoys me. What's more they gradually converted him into a total Disney character ripoff (in terms of artistic style).

Seriously... I've not been able to sit through an entire Mario game since they released Mario 64. Why is he a f***ing plumber? Does he ever do anything that looks remotely like plumbing? Where's the character development? Really, what do we know about this motherf***ing little @**hole?

They even tried to make a movie about this guy and it was easily the most twisted, incomprehensible pile of crap I've ever had the misfortune of being subjected to.

<cough>

Back to the consoles...

I wonder what will happen? I mean, if people don't all die of boredom or the wounds inflicted by flying Wii remotes then maybe they'll keep paying for the Wii... but really what is the potential of this system? They've already pretty much maxed it out in terms of processing power, and this was with some of the launch titles for the console. The PS3 and XB360 offer the developers so much more in terms of potential. I don't mean just in terms of graphics either... more CPU cycles means more innovations like improved AI, better physics models, better music scripting that can "intelligently" follow the gameplay.

Let's not forget storage space either... the 360 and the Wii do have full DVD9 support, but the PS3 has the Blu Ray 50GB disc support. One annoyance I had with the Gamecube is that some of the games for it were split across several discs (Resident Evil 4, for example) so halfway through the game you have to switch discs. When they ported RE4 to the PS2, they could put it all on a single DVD5. In other words, it's a better gaming experience. With the HD capabilities of the XB360 and the PS3 it's only a matter of time before the in-game cutscenes require more space, at which point the XB360 is crippled. Why the heck didn't MS include an HD DVD drive with the 360? Would it really have driven the price up for the system by that much? (considering they could have left out the regular DVD drive)

Online capabilities... I still don't really care about this on console games. PC games make more sense as they've been developing all kinds of different ways to play games online (eg: Kaillera MAME). Console games still seem to focus primarily on deathmatch style games or monster bashing marathons that they erroneously label as "RPG" (what "role" is being played here? You just get to play a rather generic character with only a few stats to manage and roam around hacking monsters repetitively). They don't even come close to the potential that some of the simple text-based MUD games were reaching. Final Fantasy XI online?? What a joke!!! It doesn't even resemble a Final Fantasy game...!

And wow... look at the online "achievement award" systems they've got going... so the rest of the world can see what a huge dork I am, stuck in my parent's basement playing video games 24 hours a day.

What has all this splendid online content for consoles given us? Well... it gave us "teabagging". I have to admit that one amuses me quite a bit, not for the juvenile gesture it represents but because people will actually get ANGRY when someone does it to them in the game.

At any rate, the way I see it, the XB360 and the PS3 will both have long lives where the games keep improving as developers find better ways to utilize the full potential of those systems. The Wii just doesn't appear to have as much room to expand... but I could be wrong?

Ah well... enough ranting for today I suppose.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Not particularly amusing, but he's probably right, if it's presumed there won't be a Wii 2.0

Except how can he not love Mario? :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Not particularly amusing, but he's probably right, if it's presumed there won't be a Wii 2.0

Except how can he not love Mario? :eek:

Haha, yeah, I more found the middle section the most amusing when he goes on his Mario rant out of nowhere. The rest is nothing special but I did like the underlying tone of many of his comments. ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Because using 'gay' as an insult is hilarious

That's not specifically what I was referring to as "amusing", it was his overall sarcastic, bitter tone throughout.

Apparently I musjudged how seriously some people take things here. Not a fan of Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Jon Stewart, Family Guy, South Park, etc. etc. or anything else politically incorrect I guess, which is fine... to each their own... my apologies to anyone who finds this unbearably offensive... :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
sorry shard, gonna have to agree with sky here, it is nonsense when people can't come up with valid arguments, and just come up with slurs/nonsense to support their views

No problem, these aren't my views. ;) I just found his approach amusing for the very fact that, as you said, it's a bit of a mindless rant. Reading nonsense like that amuses me at times I guess. :eek: What a horrible person I am. :p :D

Seriously, points taken and understood.

I don't think they find it offensive, just... crude?

Sure, that would be a better word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.