PDA

View Full Version : Are Investors Unfairly Sour on Apple?

MacBytes
Jan 23, 2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Are Investors Unfairly Sour on Apple? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080123155902)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

IJ Reilly
Jan 23, 2008, 03:25 PM
Nice. A bit of reality therapy, for people who are not obsessed by the moment.

elppa
Jan 23, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yes.

47% growth in the iPod business on the same quarter last year is a phenomenal success and should be celebrated as a big achievement.

Apple even managed to integrate their digital video strategy into the entire line (apart from the shuffles) which foreshadowed the Movie Rentals announcement.

During the analyst call, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook remarked on the company's desire to establish the iPod not as a music player, like the iPod Shuffle, but rather as a "Wi-Fi mobile platform" that can handle various kinds of video as well

Based on the above, this is a bit silly. Apple doesn't have a desire for all iPods to handle video, the have already achieved it. Also in the “Wi-Fi mobile platform” quote, they mention, Tim made no specific mention of video.

Not only that, they introduced the touch which was tremendously well received.

spice weasel
Jan 23, 2008, 05:14 PM
Yes.

47% growth in the iPod business on the same quarter last year is a phenomenal success and should be celebrated as a big achievement.

Apple even managed to integrate their digital video strategy into the entire line (apart from the shuffles) which foreshadowed the Movie Rentals announcement.

Based on the above, this is a bit silly. Apple doesn't have a desire for all iPods to handle video, the have already achieved it. Also in the “Wi-Fi mobile platform” quote, they mention, Tim made no specific mention of video.

Not only that, they introduced the touch which was tremendously well received.

The author was writing about Apple's desire to establish the iPod as a Wi-Fi mobile platform. That is, to have the general public accept that the iPod is for more than just music and video.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
well if you think about it the economney is going into a down turn world wide. A largest part of apple sales are in the luxury item deparment and in items that are general the first to be cut when peoples budgets start getting tight. They are worried that with the down turn apple sells will take a huge hit.

Add that to the fact that apple stocks have not just been doing better but a hell of a lot better than others in the techology market. This leads me to believe that the stocks have been over valued so it will take even a bigger dive in the adjustment to the market place.
It should level out soon and that would be a good time to buy apple stock.

themadchemist
Jan 23, 2008, 08:03 PM
This is irrational exuberance in the wrong direction. Apple's fundamentals are more than sound and this quarter's earnings were great. The guidance just freaked out an extra jumpy market, but I'm hoping things will resolve themselves as people start to get a grip.

DMann
Feb 8, 2008, 03:30 AM
The halo effect is just beginning to take off, and exponential growth is imminent. At $122/share, it is a steal..........

johnnyjibbs
Feb 8, 2008, 06:34 AM
Good article, although I find it interesting one of the comments made regarding Steve Jobs' arrogance/greed with the China mobile deal (i.e. in the 'comments' section at the end). This may indeed have had an impact. With such a massive market, Apple maybe should have sacrificed a little profit - after all, the potential market size is so big, it could dwarf the rest of the world, even if the profit per unit was less...

Still, Apple is hardly struggling and its innovation keeps on coming through and through. It is true that Mac customers tend to become 'sticky', whereas iPod and iPhone serve to introduce people to the potential of getting a Mac.

stoid
Feb 8, 2008, 06:45 AM
I was going to buy an 24 inch iMac about a week ago, but decided to stick with my MacBook and bought 12 shares at $131.50. If the share price drops below $100, I plan on picking up another 15-20 shares.

I don't expect a pay-off like those that invested back in 2000, but I won't argue with a 60% increase in 3-5 years.

Rodimus Prime
Feb 8, 2008, 07:24 AM
good grief this is a repost. It is the exact same post as a few weeks ago with the EXACT SAME article
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=420418&highlight=Are+Investors+Unfairly+Sour+on+Apple%3F

macFanDave
Feb 8, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yes.

EOM

MacTheSpoon
Feb 8, 2008, 09:03 PM
Why do all of these financial writers forget about AAPL's seasonality? The stock usually plunges after Christmas, last year was an exception because of the iPhone release.

A large part of the stock's decline right now is because of this, even though yes it's also partly due to recession freakouts.