Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hi all

Just a quick reminder that posting:

+1

falls under the general forum rules of one-word posts, and they are deleted upon sight or if reported, much as saying 'me too' or 'I agree'.

Useless posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed.

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Things_Not_to_Do

Thanks! :)

p.s. The first person to post '+1' or 'me too' etc. in reply to this post will be struck off my Xmas shopping list. ;)

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Hi all

Just a quick reminder that posting:

+1

falls under the general forum rules of one-word posts, and they are deleted upon sight or if reported, much as saying 'me too' or 'I agree'.

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Things_Not_to_Do

Thanks! :)

p.s. The first person to post '+1' or 'me too' etc. in reply to this post will be struck off my Xmas shopping list. ;)

Bah, you great spoil-sport :D

Um, uh, so what if I agree with BOTH of you here? In reality, I don't typically do the post++ deal, but I will point out when someone's post was beyond funny. :D

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
i couldn't agree with you more, although to add your voice to the crowd in a unique and verbose manner is, in fact, as difficult as saying something memorably comforting at a funeral.

How about something provocative, like U+me?

And for Christmas I need socks ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I've noticed a sharp increase in the usage of "+1" on Page 1 news threads in the past two days.

Be a sport and report them, thanks. :)

I must admit, I hate them even more than 'me too' etc. and it's a pernicious habit I intend to stamp out with the full power invested in me. :D

I don't know where the habit came from, but it's something that is particularly annoying, and if individually, certain forum members persist in posting them, then potentially darker fates await than being crossed off my Xmas list...

tefleming

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
ATL
While I understand the point of the rule, there are instances where it is appropriate.

If someone is asking for advice or a recommendation, and I agree, isn't the fact that two members feel that way worth an "I agree" sort of post (even if I don't have anything to add)?

Isn't that more efficient than me re-stating what the first reply said?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I start to feel guilty after I've report every other post that's ad spam, an identical thread, or a duplicate of front page news...

Seriously, I wonder if the mods aren't already expecting my username alongside a report already. :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I start to feel guilty after I've report every other post that's ad spam, an identical thread, or a duplicate of front page news...

Seriously, I wonder if the mods aren't already expecting my username alongside a report already. :rolleyes:

reporting is a good thing afaik. the mods will never look down on it from what i've seen said.

also i have to agree that its been a bit more prevalent.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Up till now I had no idea that "+1" posts were report-worthy, so I hadn't bothered to report them. :eek:

I will now though! :) Thanks for the heads-up BV. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
If someone is asking for advice or a recommendation, and I agree, isn't the fact that two members feel that way worth an "I agree" sort of post (even if I don't have anything to add)?

Isn't that more efficient than me re-stating what the first reply said?

It may be more efficient for the person posting, but it doesn't really encourage the kind of threads and discussion that I feel — and others would agree — MacRumors is aiming for. Even if you agree with something, there's always an angle or point of view, maybe something that has been already missed, to add that enriches the conversation and makes the entire board an interesting and fulfilling place to be.

We've had this rule in place for a long time now, probably even before I became a member, and on the whole it works quite well... especially when you go to other boards where they're not that concerned about it and see the difference.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I must admit, I hate them even more than 'me too' etc. and it's a pernicious habit I intend to stamp out with the full power invested in me. :D

I don't know where the habit came from, but it's something that is particularly annoying, and if individually, certain forum members persist in posting them, then potentially darker fates await than being crossed off my Xmas list...

+1!

No really, W00t 1st post!

Wait...I do agree with you but I think I did it once about some stupid alum. mouse.

JNB

macrumors 604
I see tefleming's point, but at the same time, simply agreeing doesn't really add weight past a yup, uh-huh, or +1. Adding some kind of commentary would be much more helpful.

I don't know if vB supports it, but is there a way to add a "Quick Violation" check box or radio button to the Report Post function, such as Duplicate, Insulting, "+1 Violation" or something like that? If we all start reporting more posts (and I fall in & out of the habit a lot), it might be helpful to the mods to have a category to aid in triage, as it were. An auto-reply or notification to the offending poster would be nice to have for these more administrative deletions not requiring a more detailed explanation to the poster.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The appropriate place to "add weight" is in a thread with a poll. One click and you're on record as agreeing with one of the choices. :)

As I've said many times before, we understand that nobody likes to have their post removed, but you benefit when the posts with little or no value by other forum members are removed.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I agree with tefleming; even if no supporting reason is given, a simple agreement often does add some weight in the right context. I would hope that more than a simple "+1" is used, but even that can be helpful to someone that is seeking to find what the majority consensus seems to be when looking for a recommendation.

The appropriate place to "add weight" is in a thread with a poll. One click and you're on record as agreeing with one of the choices. :)

While a poll is ideal in many of these situations, it wouldn't really work if the OP didn't know what his choices were to begin with, which does happen a lot in the forums.

I think that context is the deal-breaker here; I believe more leeway should be allowed for simple agreement post in threads that are specifically looking for advice or recommendations.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
BV

You make it really hard to resist posting a +1 right now.:p

Anyways I read that a while ago, but never thought the mods would want to be bothered with just deleting a +1.
I'll report 'em when I see 'em now.;)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
You must be doing a good job as I haven't seen any posts "+1" around. Does "+1" stand for something else and it's a slow day for me though ?

Edit: Oh it's a metaphor.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think that context is the deal-breaker here; I believe more leeway should be allowed for simple agreement post in threads that are specifically looking for advice or recommendations.
I'm not willing to ask the moderators to spend time reading threads to look for context before removing a post that took 5 seconds and 2 keystrokes to post. The rule is simple to understand and has served us well. If a poster can't think of anything to say other than agreeing without comment, they should not bother making the post. I can't even remember seeing a +1 post that I considered necessary for a discussion, and I've been moderating these forums for years. If I've missed some that were somehow important, they are still a very small percentage.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Ergo, the kind of posts where someone gives advice or makes an opinion identical to a previous post are also Plus Ones in essence and should therefore be included for deletion. Rules should be applied objectively, not emotionally. Even if certain posts are less annoying than others, the rules should still apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.