PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 doesn't boot up

JoeyTN
Jan 23, 2008, 06:54 PM
Got a powerbook G4 that stops at the apple icon screen. Sometimes i get a spinning wheel (not colored) and sometimes i don't. Nonetheless it never gets passed the apple screen. I've tried booting to safe mode, clearing out PRAM (2 cycles), i did cmd-V (verbose) but and it did some stuff but it just kept saying disk error. (that's what it said generally. It was something a little more than just that but anyway), and i've ran disc utility and ran first aid (repaired the hard drive volume which it finished and completed successfully).

Yet it still won't boot up. Any ideas?

Thanks

CalMin
Jan 23, 2008, 07:09 PM
Got a powerbook G4 that stops at the apple icon screen. Sometimes i get a spinning wheel (not colored) and sometimes i don't. Nonetheless it never gets passed the apple screen. I've tried booting to safe mode, clearing out PRAM (2 cycles), i did cmd-V (verbose) but and it did some stuff but it just kept saying disk error. (that's what it said generally. It was something a little more than just that but anyway), and i've ran disc utility and ran first aid (repaired the hard drive volume which it finished and completed successfully).

Yet it still won't boot up. Any ideas?

Thanks

I don't have any ideas as to what might be wrong, but have to tried Target Disk mode? If that works, then rescue your data and try reinstalling the OS.

Good luck!

JoeyTN
Jan 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah i've backed everything up already. As far as target mode goes is that hooking it up through firewire? If so then i don't have anything to hook it up to. Should i run diagnostics on the whole computer? Are they any good?

Anything will help thanks

Joey

notengolegs
Jan 24, 2008, 11:02 AM
Most likely a failing hard drive. You should try booting off of your OS install CD / DVD or System Restore CD / DVD. If you can boot off of that, then you are likely to have a failing / failed hard drive.

twerk
Jan 24, 2008, 11:03 AM
buy a new computer

QCassidy352
Jan 24, 2008, 11:28 AM
Most likely a failing hard drive. You should try booting off of your OS install CD / DVD or System Restore CD / DVD. If you can boot off of that, then you are likely to have a failing / failed hard drive.

buy a new computer

...or do what notengolegs suggested first, and if it's the HD, get a new one for a tiny fraction the cost of a whole new mac.