PDA

View Full Version : Editing on a Macbook

cpcarrot
Jan 24, 2008, 03:04 AM
Hi all, hopefully an easy question to answer. I have a Mac Pro running FCS2 as my main editing work station and I am looking to get a laptop in order to do very basic editing "in the field". Basically just something to produce dailies to have a quick review of.

Now due to the basic nature of what I would want to do with the laptop I suspect I could actually get away with just using iMovie but if I can run Final Cut that would of course be better. Does anyone know if it is possible to run Final Cut on a standard Macbook (2.2GHZ 4GB of RAM)? I could always get the MBP but size is very much a factor for me and I would much prefer the Macbook's form factor (I would consider the Air if it had a better hard drive and firewire). The other option would be to buy a copy of Final Cut Express which I'm guessing would run on the Macbook?

If it helps I will be editing HDV footage and as above I only really need to do very simple edits for review but would ideally like it to be a simple job to import it all into my Mac Pro workstation.

Any thoughts?

XjeffX
Jan 24, 2008, 03:31 AM
Hi all, hopefully an easy question to answer. I have a Mac Pro running FCS2 as my main editing work station and I am looking to get a laptop in order to do very basic editing "in the field". Basically just something to produce dailies to have a quick review of.

Now due to the basic nature of what I would want to do with the laptop I suspect I could actually get away with just using iMovie but if I can run Final Cut that would of course be better. Does anyone know if it is possible to run Final Cut on a standard Macbook (2.2GHZ 4GB of RAM)? I could always get the MBP but size is very much a factor for me and I would much prefer the Macbook's form factor (I would consider the Air if it had a better hard drive and firewire). The other option would be to buy a copy of Final Cut Express which I'm guessing would run on the Macbook?

If it helps I will be editing HDV footage and as above I only really need to do very simple edits for review but would ideally like it to be a simple job to import it all into my Mac Pro workstation.

Any thoughts?

You'll be able to run FCP 6.

I edited this the other night in no time. HDV from a Canon HV20:

http://www.vimeo.com/626679

I have a 2.16ghz Blackbook w/ 2gb ram.

I did put the effects and video playback quality levels down though. Seemed to help out a lot.

Rendering is a little slow on HDV footage but it's definitely manageable.

cpcarrot
Jan 24, 2008, 05:53 AM
That's good to hear, I was concerned that it wouldn't run at all as Apple claims FCS2 won't run with intergrated graphics. I'm guessing its only apps such as Motion and Colour that would be a problem. If I can run FCP6 fine on the Macbook thats probably going to be the route I will take.

Cheers

XjeffX
Jan 25, 2008, 02:23 AM
That's good to hear, I was concerned that it wouldn't run at all as Apple claims FCS2 won't run with intergrated graphics. I'm guessing its only apps such as Motion and Colour that would be a problem. If I can run FCP6 fine on the Macbook thats probably going to be the route I will take.

Cheers

Should be fine. Like I said, just lower the playback quality. For basic editing it runs great on mine. A complex transitions or layered tracks tend to drop frames but other than that, no problemo. And definitely don't expect Color or Motion to work.

ChemiosMurphy
Jan 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
Whoa. FCS2 on a Macbook is a bad idea. Pony up the extra $500 and get the Macbook Pro. And if you're doing HDV, definitely go with the MBP. The 13.3 is just so tiny and the Glossy screen kills color reproduction, so you're going to need the Waveform monitor on screen for color correction and setting the 7.5IRE black levels and stuff.

If you're going to plop out that kind of money, do it right. And you never know what kind of stuff tomorrow will bring, so future proof it. Get the MBP.

Bogeyman
Jan 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
Pony up the extra $500 and get the Macbook Pro. And if you're doing HDV, definitely go with the MBP... If you're going to plop out that kind of money, do it right. And you never know what kind of stuff tomorrow will bring, so future proof it. Get the MBP.

I find myself in agreement with this. I work FCS 2 on my MBP and there are still little issues here and there. It's a robust little thing, though, that can handle all the apps. And like Chem just said, you never know what the future will bring. If you're anything like me, you're going to "figure it out" and get hungry for more capabilities before the reasonable lifetime of your new machine expires. My opinion is that you should get something you can really grow into.

LethalWolfe
Jan 29, 2008, 01:15 PM
A Macbook won't run Motion or Color which is why it's not approved for the FCS2 suite, but it will run FCP, DVDSP, etc.,.

The 13.3 is just so tiny and the Glossy screen kills color reproduction, so you're going to need the Waveform monitor on screen for color correction and setting the 7.5IRE black levels and stuff.
Not to veer this discussion off topic, but you shouldn't trust what you see on any computer monitor*, and you should always be using scopes when doing any sort of color work.

*the rare exception being using an MXO w/a 23" ACD.

Lethal

mkaake
Jan 29, 2008, 03:15 PM
Whoa. FCS2 on a Macbook is a bad idea. Pony up the extra $500 and get the Macbook Pro. And if you're doing HDV, definitely go with the MBP. The 13.3 is just so tiny and the Glossy screen kills color reproduction, so you're going to need the Waveform monitor on screen for color correction and setting the 7.5IRE black levels and stuff.

If you're going to plop out that kind of money, do it right. And you never know what kind of stuff tomorrow will bring, so future proof it. Get the MBP.

No offense, but the guy already has a nice machine as his primary FCPS machine - this is something for light field usage (re-read post #1). I'm guessing his important work will all be done on that machine anyway, so I see no problem with saving $500 on a machine that's going to see relatively light usage compared to his workhorse.

Bogeyman
Jan 29, 2008, 06:25 PM
I see no problem with saving $500 on a machine that's going to see relatively light usage compared to his workhorse.

I guess it's all relative, really. My MBP is for the lighter stuff. It's nice to kick back on a long flight or in the hotel room or even a long weekend and be able to maximize my output - maybe even finish a project - while I have the time because there's no telling what I'm going to step in once I get back to the office.

cpcarrot
Jan 30, 2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the responses, interesting to see the two opposing views even though it does make the choice more difficult. My thoughts for getting the macbook rather than the MBP are purely size driven. Basically I fly a lot and often have to be rushing between places so my thoughts were if I can do all that I need on something that is smaller and lighter then that is of benefit to me.

As mentioned I have a Mac Pro (4x2.66GHZ, 9GB RAM) running FCS2 as my main editing workstation and would only envisage utilising the laptop for producing dailies (which would probably be viewed on either a bigger monitor or a HDTV anyway). That said I can see Bogeyman's point abut being able to get to work on the full project when you have some downtime... But again I would probably be wanting the 17" MBP with the HD resolution screen if I was doing that and that is quite bulky... Plus probably an external firewire 800 drive in the baggage as well... It does start to add up when your lugging it from airport to airport...

Plenty to think about anyway!