PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft announces 4 "critical" flaws in Windows

MacBytes
Oct 16, 2003, 11:51 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft announces 4 "critical" flaws in Windows (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/10/16/microsoft.security.ap/index.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

sabbath999
Oct 17, 2003, 12:27 AM
I can't seem to get Windows on my desk to run long enough between "illegal function call" and "blue screens of death" to have a problem with security!

noverflow
Oct 17, 2003, 12:31 AM
all i can say is AWESOME!!!!!!!

1macker1
Oct 17, 2003, 08:33 AM
Of course they find more flaws with windows, you have many many more people hacking away at it. I hope people dont truly think that MAC's are some type of super Hacker proof computer. If Apple had 98% of the market, i'm very sure some of 0S x's flaws would be found. I dont think MS software is that bad, but i just prefer OS X.

FYI, I loaded the security patch on my XP machine at work, and it started rebooted til i got IT to come fix it. I had to restore to a point BEFORE the security patch..WTF.

benixau
Oct 17, 2003, 09:27 AM
windows has the best security in the world - it doesnt let you run a session for longer than 10mins before carshing the system for you and forcing you to turn it off.

WHAT!!!! This isnt intentional - hmmm happened on every machine ive seen - they must be going to introduce it as a new feature for longhorn - - - - if it ever get released:

Windows XP SE SP56a 2.0

noverflow
Oct 17, 2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
Of course they find more flaws with windows, you have many many more people hacking away at it. I hope people dont truly think that MAC's are some type of super Hacker proof computer. If Apple had 98% of the market, i'm very sure some of 0S x's flaws would be found. I dont think MS software is that bad, but i just prefer OS X.

But then you remember that osx is actually BSD 4.4 and 5.0. Then you remember how 50% of web pages are served on apache, many many many on BSD 4.4 and 5.0

dont tell me that BSD has not been tried. It has, it just still stands

1macker1
Oct 17, 2003, 09:55 AM
No OS is hack proof, it's just more people are aiming at MS. No one gets attacked more than MS. MS is the only one people care to attack.

revenuee
Oct 17, 2003, 11:01 AM
No, one trying to hack OS X is enough of a selling point for me... LOL

Here is something interesting i found a few years back when i learning CGI

1997 a Swedish Macintosh consulting firlm announced a contest on the Web offering cash to anyone that could hack into the mac webserver - No one did it, until a remote CGI updating application was installed leaving a security whole not in the OS, but in the script itself.

Now that was obviously under system 7.5 and we are now talking about 10 which is a completely different bread of OS, but never the less it would be interesting to see someone do it, and really test the intergrity :)

Rower_CPU
Oct 17, 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
No OS is hack proof, it's just more people are aiming at MS. No one gets attacked more than MS. MS is the only one people care to attack.

It doesn't hurt when their own patches don't completely fix the vulnerability, as in the patch prior to these.