PDA

View Full Version : powermac dual g5 and airport extreme

toothpaste
Jan 24, 2008, 07:05 AM
I'm new to this so bare with me. I have a dual 2.5 g5 at home that I installed an airport extreme card into yesterday. I installed the airport software just fine. Installed the card with no problems at all, connected the antennae. Machine came up just fine, I was able to see the card in system profile.

I can't for the life of me connect to a wireless network. I can't even find a wireless network. Nothing shows up. I'm completely lost. :( Can anyone spare a moment to help me out? Thanks in advance.

AdeFowler
Jan 24, 2008, 07:07 AM
Stupid patronising question first: is Airport turned on?

toothpaste
Jan 24, 2008, 07:38 AM
Yes it is. :)

toothpaste
Jan 24, 2008, 06:16 PM
Figured it out, thanks.

chunkstyle
Feb 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
What was your solution? I'm having similar issues with my Dual 2.0GHz G5, and am collecting potential fixes for my scenario.

chunkstyle
Feb 8, 2008, 11:49 PM
I got my issue solved, and for posterity, I will post it here, since I never really saw it in any of the other many posts people were making about this issue.

For G5 PowerMacs, it appears that there are two critical issues for getting Airport Extreme to work. One is the 'T' shaped antenna that goes on the back. Two is that you have to make sure to hook up the antenna lead to the Airport Extreme card itself. If you didn't get Airport Extreme set as a BTO and added the card afterwards, the lead is unattached and hanging secured by a clip above the slot where the card goes. You must remove the lead from the clip and plug it in to the back of the card.

Once I did both those, everything worked like a charm.

toothpaste
Feb 27, 2008, 07:51 AM
1. System Preferences>Network>

Network Port Configurations have to be in order that your computer will try to access a network. So I reordered to have airport on the top of the list.

2. I verified that the cable is securely connected to my Airport Extreme card, then I found the "T" external antenna that is supposed to be connected to the back of the Powermac G5.

Once these steps were completed, I was able to see all the networks in my vicinity followed by a successful wireless connection being made. It was easier once I found the "T" antenna.:o