PDA

View Full Version : Can Apple TV display home-made HD content?

alFR
Jan 24, 2008, 10:03 AM
Searched for this but couldn't find an answer, sorry if I didn't find it.

If I had a HD camcorder and made my own 720p HD movies in iMovie, could I play them back on the Apple TV? From the Apple TV spec page it looks like HD playback is restricted to content from the iTunes store, but that doesn't really fit with the "if it's on iTunes, it's on Apple TV" philosophy.

If it can do this it would be a good way to get home HD movies onto my HDTV without worrying about blu-ray burners etc....

P-Worm
Jan 24, 2008, 10:15 AM
You can use it for HD playback; I do it all the time. In fact, Quicktime has an AppleTV preset for exporting. You just need to male sure that you limit yourself to 720p and 24 frames per second. Note that you are most likely recording in 30 frames per second so you will have to manually change the frame rate when you export.

P-Worm

alFR
Jan 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
Ah, thanks - it was the framerate that was confusing me, as I'd seen before that the default quicktime :apple:tv preset resolution was 960 x 540: as you say that's the 30fps version and it should be able to do 1280 x 720 at 24fps.

bacaramac
Jan 24, 2008, 12:18 PM
With the current ATV, I have not been able to get HD picture (as expected on iTunes Rentals with2.0). I can set the resolution to 720p and 5k Bitrate, but personally I don't think it's close to HD.