Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rulesaremyenemy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
I have been attempting to reformat my macbook pro (spring 2007) for two days now with no success. I come to you all, hat in hands, pleading for assistance.

My goal: to have two partitions. A 90 gig Windows NTFS partition and a 20 gig Mac OS X HFS+ partition.

Steps I took:
First I did a complete reformat and reinstall of Leopard. Then i used the terminal and diskutil to split the single HFS+ partition into two partitions (20 gig HFS+ and 90 gig FAT32). After that was completed I rebooted with the windows install disc, reformatted the 90 gig partition to NTFS using the installer, and did the initial windows install. When I restarted, held down option, and booted from the windows install, i got the common hal.dll is missing error. I tried booting into the install using the recovery console to use bootcfg /rebuild to repair my boot.ini, but it had no affect.

I've tried using google and the forum search to find answers, but so far i've found nothing that works. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Then i used the terminal and diskutil to split the single HFS+ partition into two partitions (20 gig HFS+ and 90 gig FAT32). After that was completed I rebooted with the windows install disc, reformatted the 90 gig partition to NTFS using the installer, and did the initial windows install.
If you're making a FAT32 partition, why did you format using NTFS? :confused:

Did you try using Bootcamp to partition it for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.