Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
This really sucks. IMO, the bitching and moaning about lack of an optical drive, firewire and multiple USB ports misses the point of the MBA, but not being able to fit a USB EVDO modem is a real oversight for the true target market. That's going to piss me and the rest of the travel-light users off. The MBA user is the perfect candidate for an EVDO modem...

I guess we'll have to use extensions but what a pain. This really should have been designed in. Having an ugly, large dongle dangling from a USB cord kind of kills the elegance of the design in my opinion. Wifi is nowhere near ubiquitous enough to be reliable.

Oh well -I'm keeping my order but I am angry.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/adding-insult-to-injury-usb-3g-modems-wont-fit-in-the-macbo/

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
A hidden usb port is bound not to have every product fit it, especially something so clunky. There are usb modems that fit.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Which ones? The USB727 does not and that is pretty small (by the standards of the industry).

Look, I like the MBA and I am very supportive of it overall. But I do think EVDO should be built-in as a CTO option. It's REALLY useful technology if you travel a lot (I have 2 EVDO cars and use them EVERY SINGLE DAY). If they can't build it in directly for thinness reasons - fine. But at least make it feasible to plug in most USB modems!

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Which ones? The USB727 does not and that is pretty small (by the standards of the industry).

Look, I like the MBA and I am very supportive of it overall. But I do think EVDO should be built-in as a CTO option. It's REALLY useful technology if you travel a lot (I have 2 EVDO cars and use them EVERY SINGLE DAY). If they can't build it in directly for thinness reasons - fine. But at least make it feasible to plug in most USB modems!

I'll have to find a link, think it was an AT&T card that fit. Maybe someone can help me out here.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I agree, it's unfortunate the U727 doesn't fit. Of course, mine came with the extension. But I'm going to look for something shorter.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I read an article stating internal mobile broadband was considered but it would tie the MBA down to a specific card then.

Anyway, I just use my phone's data plan via bluetooth modem.

Sucks that the design won't fit, but I have the same kind of issue when I use my SD card adapter on my MacBook - it takes up space so I can't use the other USB simultaneously - is it that much hassle to buy a cheap USB extension cable? 6 bucks on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-SHORT-DATA-...T-HEAD-12_W0QQitemZ220176026833QQcmdZViewItem

Having an ugly, large dongle dangling from a USB cord kind of kills the elegance of the design in my opinion

Even if it did fit in the USB port, that issue wouldn't be resolved ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.