Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nugget

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I searched and didn't turn up anything, but surely this has been suggested/discussed before. Would it be worth setting up a forum for OS X Server discussions? I haven't found any server-related message boards and the Apple Discussions leave a lot to be desired.

Feel free to flame me if I missed something painfully obvious in my searching prior to posting this. :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Yes I would like one. I am struggling to learn about administering several macs at my organisation, and I'd appreciate a sightly more admin orientated mac forum that still keeps MR's famous friendliness and relaxed nature.

(long way of saying "+1" :) )

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I third said request. I would love to be able to discuss OS X Server issues here at Macrumors instead of the Apple Discussion Forums.

JohnMC

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm sorry that I didn't chime in earlier but I'd like a OS X Server oriented forum as well. Some of my more mundane questions aren't really Apple Mailing list worthy with some of the members there.

Note: I'm already subscribed to several Apple and university lists.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i would love for a Mac OS X Server forum. i've been trying to setup a server for awhile now, and have had trouble every time

me too. i've had my fair share of issues (mostly with 10.3 server), and i'm sure i'd have found answers much more easily if there was a server dedicated forum here.

yeah, you can post in the other forums, but posting server related stuff in the pro/mac os x forums just seem to get drowned by the 'omg where is teh 96 core mac pro' and 'leopard is teh suxxors' threads. :eek:

i still think it should be done. so what if it's not really popular - it'll be a huge assistance for those seeking help on these products.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I could use a server forum, too.

Struggling sometimes with permissions issues, especially trying to save to a server volume from a M$ Office app.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Arn appears to be busy creating the new MacBook Air forum.

A new forum. For a computer that nobody has yet. :rolleyes:

(don't set loose the ban hamster on me !)

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Is the intention to cover software and hardware? OS X Server, Xserve and Xserve RAID?

I'm only asking because most of the forums are hardware or software, but it seems these should be combined in this case.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Is the intention to cover software and hardware? OS X Server, Xserve and Xserve RAID?

I'm only asking because most of the forums are hardware or software, but it seems these should be combined in this case.

I guess that would be a good option. Although the Xserve RAID is not just limited to server users.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Arn appears to be busy creating the new MacBook Air forum.

A new forum. For a computer that nobody has yet. :rolleyes:

(don't set loose the ban hamster on me !)
...but that will have substantially more threads within a day than an OS X Server one will have in months.

Sarcasm toward the administrator won't help you get anything done.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN

I think it would be a good idea to cover all of Apple's Server Software and Hardware in one place since they are designed to work together. Xserve's and XRAID's running OS X Server for XSAN, as a example.

JohnMC

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
...but that will have substantially more threads within a day than an OS X Server one will have in months.

Sarcasm toward the administrator won't help you get anything done.

OK, the MBA forum has been open a couple of days. Since lots of old threads have been moved to it, I can't pinpoint its first 24 hours, but I'll be very generous and look at the 24 hours just gone. There's about 60 threads started - maybe that's high cos it's over the weekend, but fair enough.

So the challenge is on - Will an OSX server forum gather more than 60 threads 'in months' ? You owe it to us to open it and see : )

I do get your point though, and yes it will have relatively few threads, but part of why I was being sarky is that many of us who are interested in or are learning OSX server are in positions where we have to support other mac users.

So a discussion here or a question answered here will benefit all the mac users that person is supporting, giving them a better mac experience, encouraging the company to buy more macs and so on.

I personally support 5 mac users in my job, and we are not yet at the point where we need a server with osx server, but that day may come soon. I'm sure there will be other people here in this forum who have to support far greater numbers, but who are struggling with some issues, same as I do on a regular basis.

By comparison, in the MBA forum, many people posting there will never buy one. (It's fun to chat about yes, and I'm not dissing the MBA forum.)

At the end of the day, as I've always said, it's Arn's website, and he can do anything he wants. I've chatted with him on IM and said the same to him.

That doesn't preclude us sarcastic Brits from doing a bit of verbal prodding...

So c'mon, where's our MBA Server forum?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
it would be nice to have one to help new users with OS X Server when lots of the times they need help doing something that isn't in the manual.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
I'm interested in a OS X Server forum too. I would like a discussion on the pros/cons of OS X Server and whether we should upgrade from Panther. I've been contemplating upgrading all our macs to Leopard, but it's just cheaper to buy the 10 client OS X Server package than 7 boxes of client Leopards. I'm a little intimidated with the potential setup process as well as the maintenance aspect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.