Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Jan. 24 (Bloomberg) -- A cargo train arrived in Hamburg on a trial run from Beijing after making the trans-Siberian journey in 15 days, half the time it would take to transport goods by sea, and underscoring growing trade between Asia and Europe.

Today's arrival is the result of cooperation between Deutsche Bahn AG, Germany's state-owned railway, and countries along the 10,000-kilometer (6,215-mile) route. The train crossed through Mongolia, Russia, Belarus and Poland on a trip that was expected to take 20 days, Deutsche Bahn spokeswoman Kerstin Eckstein said in a phone interview from the German port city.

``The workers of the six participating railways have proved with their excellent cooperation that Asian-European freight traffic traversing Eurasia has a future,'' Deutsche Bahn Chief Executive Officer Hartmut Mehdorn said in an e-mailed statement.

While train travel between Europe and Asia has long existed on routes such as the Trans-Siberian Railroad, the cooperation of the six governments is intended to make the shipment of cargo by rail a viable alternative to sea and air transportation by scaling back bureaucracy, including lengthy border processing and a patchwork of regulatory hurdles.

Mehdorn said Deutsche Bahn aims for regular European-Asian rail traffic by the end of the decade.

Chinese exports to the European Union climbed 19 percent in 2006, while China imported 11 percent more goods from the EU.

Train transportation is quicker than moving cargo by sea and also is ``significantly'' cheaper than airlifting goods such as clothing and electronics from China, Deutsche Bahn said.

Jan. 9 Departure

The train, bearing a load of electronic equipment, clothing and shoes, left Beijing's Dongzhimen Station on the afternoon of Jan. 9 and arrived at Hamburg's Hafen Station before 10 a.m. local time. Officials from the six railways, including Mehdorn and OAO Russian Railways CEO Vladimir Yakunin, were in Hamburg to greet the train on arrival.

Deutsche Bahn said authorities along the route must iron out regulatory details such as train length, track width and differing electronic systems to make the trip smoother.

Russian and Chinese authorities, for example, have a 1,000- meter (3,280-foot) limit on train length, while Germany has a 700-meter limit, Eckstein said. That called for splitting the 49- container train in Brest, at the Polish-Belarussian border.

For the part of the journey through Russia, the cargo was moved onto different cars to travel on Russian tracks, which are almost 6 percent wider than those to the east and west, Deutsche Bahn said.

Deutsche Bahn said Europe-bound goods originating in China's interior could be transported more cheaply on the Beijing-Hamburg route than by way of China's eastern ports.
Bloomberg

I just think this is fascinating. If you haven't invested anything in China, now would be a good time.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Now only if Russia and Belarus used standard gauge (4ft 8 1/2in., 1435mm), this would probably be even faster.

I think that could be fixed by using Wabash National's RoadRailer system. That way, they could do a quick swap for bogies between the standard and the Russian gauge at the Russian border with China/Mongolia and at the Belarus/Poland border.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I think that could be fixed by using Wabash National's RoadRailer system. That way, they could do a quick swap for bogies between the standard and the Russian gauge at the Russian border with China/Mongolia and at the Belarus/Poland border.

I think that would probably take longer than Variable gauge axles in current use. I don't think that's quite the system in use, but probably a similar method.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Given that a passenger train from Moscow to Bejing takes 6 days (source). I'm surprised that the goods train took as long as 15 days.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
also very likely freight trains have to give way to passenger trains which normally have higher priority

also comparing germany-china to moscow-china isn't exactly fair since many problems are introduced when you leave russia (different track widths and don't forget more borders and of course different voltages for the trains)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Mainly because of all the extra weight.

Sounds like they also had to make several stops to split the train length and to unload and reload the cars to fit the Russian tracks. Wonder if they have the tracks for the passenger train all a standard width?

I also wonder how they got all these countries to cooperate? Don't most of them pretty much hate each other? Guess it's the almighty dollar, or yen or rubble or deutche mark, or...

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
It could be done, but that means you'll have to buy a big fleet of flat cars/spline cars with this variable gauge system--not exactly a cheap solution!
I don't get the impression that the variable gauge necessarily that much more expensive. The Talgos were designed pretty much with one market in mind, that is, Spain, to help ease the transition from 1668mm gauge (used on old lines) to 1435mm gauge (used on the high speed lines). In fact the two main producers of variable gauge cars are Spanish companies, CAF and Talgo. But, according to Wiki, DB is designing cars for the Germany-Russia route, and I'd suppose primarily with this freight operation in mind.

Adovidoff

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
I do business with former USSR republics in Middle Asia by sending various cargo to China and then rail through China to its final destinations. Over the last few years I have seen the transit time go down substantially (5-8 days). Prior to this route I used to send cargo through Europe and European railway, experiencing huge delays and problems with documentation. I use West Coast Shipping (wcshipping.com) to arrange all the paperwork to move my cargo through China. They have years of experience and excellent connections in China to make this happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.