Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hi,

At uni we use Freehand 10 on Windows for our current project. I have Freehand MX at home on Leopard, can I start my project here and then take it to uni to work on there or are they not compatible with each other?

Thank you
Amy :)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Hi,

At uni we use Freehand 10 on Windows for our current project. I have Freehand MX at home on Leopard, can I start my project here and then take it to uni to work on there or are they not compatible with each other?

Thank you
Amy :)

When in MX save as Freehand 10 file so it can be opened on the PC. Or as an editable EPS. Going from Mac to PC is not the problem its older programs not being able to open newer files.

Also you may want to look at using Illustrator as Freehand is a dead horse. It hasnt been updated for years because Adobe bought Macromedia and they are pushing Illustrator and neglecting/discontinuing Freehand.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Thank you :) I'll save it as a Freehand 10 file. I do have Illustrator CS3 but for some reason my lecturer wants us to use Freehand. Hopefully my uni will update their programs for my 2nd and 3rd years. I've never used Illustrator before, is it similar to use like Freehand?

Thanks again
Amy

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Yes and no, Illustrator is only an illustrator you cannot have more than one page doc or do complex document layout.

However its illustration tools are way better (and over 3 generations ahead)
also since Freehand is DEAD u might as well start in Illustrator since that is what you are going to get when you work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.