Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I recently graduated, and was able to pick up the Logic Pro suite for 150. I've got extensive experience with some older Windows apps (or at least apps I used on Windows) such as Kontakt, Soundforge, Acid, rebirth, etc. I bought Logic hoping it could fill most of my requirements, which are:

1) multitrack recording.
2) sound wave editing.
3) Kontakt like synth/midi interface.

What I mean by #3 is that I'm hoping I'll be able to create synth sounds and play them on my midi keyboard. Is part of the suite capable of replacing Kontakt? Or will I need to buy Kontakt as well?

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Yeah, logic excels at being able to create sounds, add effects and play them using a keyboard.
By playing them on your midi keyboard, i guess you mean pressing a note on the keyboard and the sound coming out your speakers, not the sound coming out of your keyboard itself?
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Yes, Logic will cover those bases for you.

Logic's sample player is called EXS24 and it is quite powerful. It doesn't have all the features of Kontakt 3, but that's only because a lot of things you do in other ways in Logic, not just inside the sample player. Also, Logic gives you a good range of other synthesisers, so you have plenty of MIDI options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.