PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Death Date

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm starting a poll as to when apple will discontinue the macbook air because of poor sales. Anyone in?

I am taking November 2008.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm starting a poll as to when apple will discontinue the macbook air because of poor sales. Anyone in?

I am taking November 2008.Go away, please.

Coatsy
Jan 25, 2008, 04:34 PM

You know, I bet Apple hasn't even sold ONE yet!

Heheheh! Stupid Apple, making a product that didn't personally suit me...

johny5
Jan 25, 2008, 04:34 PM

Haha I would love to agree, but i got slated by a couple of others on here as they were rated 3rd or 4th on the Amazon list

as if that makes a difference

OllyW
Jan 25, 2008, 04:35 PM
How do you know it will sell poorly?

Peace
Jan 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
Apple,Inc. didn't add the chairperson of Avon to the board of directors for nothing.

The Air will sell a lot to women.;)

ucfgrad93
Jan 25, 2008, 04:37 PM
I believe that the Air is a niche product and therefore won't have great sales numbers, but Apple already knows that and won't give up on it so soon.

4God
Wow, the orders haven't arrived to their respective owners yet and we have a D-Day?

je1ani
Fall 08

heatmiser
I don't think they'll fade them out this year, but I do think we're either going to see some drastic price cuts (a la the iPhone) or, more likely, an aggressive push to bring its stats closer to that of the fully-featured laptops they already sell.

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 PM
Go away, please.

you go away .. this is my thread... if it bothers you don't read it.

Transeau
Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 PM
Apple,Inc. didn't add the chairperson of Avon to the board of directors for nothing.

The Air will sell a lot to women.;)

My wife is waiting (not so patiently) for her Air to arrive.
She ordered it as soon as the store came back online.

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
Fall 08

month and year please. Thank you.

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 04:46 PM
I have a feeling that someday this thread (and all others related to the MBA) may be remembered as the infamous thread 500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500).

By the way, if some of you want a good laugh, then read that thread.

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have a feeling that someday this thread (and all others related to the MBA) may be remembered as the infamous thread 500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500).

I don't think so ... I thought the Ipod would revolutionize the way we interact with our music.

I am never wrong ... the MB Air will die.

Month and year please.

Silver-Fox
Jan 25, 2008, 04:48 PM
you go away .. this is my thread... if it bothers you don't read it.

yes but its a pointless thread

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 04:49 PM

The MB air is definately a niche product. Its in the niche of costing a ton of money and serving no useful purpose. (ahem Lisa, Ahem, Apple III, Ahem Powermac Cube)

gr8tfly
Jan 25, 2008, 04:51 PM

+1

Yep. What a ridiculous name. It'll never sell. ;)

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 04:51 PM
The MB air is definately a niche product. Its in the niche of costing a ton of money and serving no useful purpose. (ahem Lisa, Ahem, Apple III, Ahem Powermac Cube)

When the iPod was introduced it was also for a niche product for an almost inexistent market. I mean, mp3 players in the day were not even close of becoming mainstream, and people said that people would never transfer their music into a computer, that it was ridiculous to think so. I mean, who would want to carry their music everywhere?! Ridiculous. :rolleyes: See the relation here? Maybe the current MBA wont be revolutionary, but it will be the keyston for the next gen's of it, which will be.

Those are just my 2 cents by the way.

mashinhead
Jan 25, 2008, 04:52 PM
it won't discontinue. The will lower the price like they have done with every product in the past year because it wasn't selling how they expected. because they were overpriced.:)

heatmiser
Jan 25, 2008, 04:52 PM

You can't reasonably compare a Macbook Air to an iPod. For one thing, Apple had never sold an mp3 player, and mp3 players were quite new in general (nevermind hard-drive players at that). A more accurate comparison would be to Apple's initial forays into the consumer laptop market with the clamshell iBooks--and that *still* wouldn't come close to describing the scale with which the iPod swept the mp3 market. Face it--the Macbook Air is just another addition to Apple's computer line, with the expected marketing push behind it. It is in no way comparable to the iPod in terms of marketability, or firsts, or innovation, or...anything. I'm sure people were eager to compare the Mac Mini to the iPod when others were talking about how irrelevant that would become as well. Surprise, surprise--the mini changed almost nothing in Apple's market share. However, at least the Mini wasn't priced halfway between the iMac and the Mac Pro. That's what Apple is trying with the Air--shoving an underweight and underpowered laptop in between two far more capable machines and trying to make a killing on it. Someone should remind Apple why they skipped that idea with the Mini.

balamw
Jan 25, 2008, 04:53 PM

If any :apple: product should die it's http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/, and it's still around almost 2 years later. I don't think apple will give up on MBA any time soon, though an MBA "Take 2" might see the light of day at MWSF 09.

B

theman
Jan 25, 2008, 04:55 PM
pi/4

Transeau
Jan 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
What's most amusing to me is the hundreds, if not thousands of people who thought that the iPod was the stupidest thing ever. It's most interesting that it's the same people who can not afford these things that are complain about them.

Stands true with the Air. The people that I have heard from (in real life) that think it's a bad product are the same people who couldn't afford one anyway. I think a Bentley is a pretty lame car.. and hey, I couldn't afford one anyway.

Yes, the Air is a niche product, WE KNOW THAT. It's a PERFECT fit for many people. People that don't need the power of a Macbook Pro, and don't want the bulk of a Macbook. My Macbook Pro works for me. The Air does not. The Air is perfect for my wife. She wanted one, she ordered one, and I would bet that she will put more hours on it in the first month than my Pro has in the last 6 months.

I'm so confused as to why people feel the need to tell us about what the WONT buy. Who cares? I won't buy an iPod Shuffle. Do you want to know why? No? I didn't think so.

Anyway. We get it. You don't like it. Get over it. Move on. Hell, go get Dell's new World of Warcraft notebook. It's like 11lbs. maybe a better fit some of you.

jackc
Jan 25, 2008, 04:57 PM
It won't die because of poor sales, but eventually the MBP will be redesigned and become thin enough so the difference is negligible.

Don't underestimate the willingness of people to pay for coolness factor. Apple knows this.

Techguy172
Jan 25, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't think so ... I thought the Ipod would revolutionize the way we interact with our music.

Month and year please.

Your never wrong eh? Yeah i don't think so

Transeau
Jan 25, 2008, 05:02 PM

Wow, you came up with that thought all by yourself right after Apple did? Good for you, here's a doggy treat.

cohibadad
Jan 25, 2008, 05:04 PM

Month and year please.

I second the go away.

this may surprise you but ultra-portability is a useful purpose to some people.

mojopixel
Jan 25, 2008, 05:20 PM

I take it you don't like the MBA.

Nibi
Jan 25, 2008, 05:20 PM
You are being baited.

Coatsy
Jan 25, 2008, 05:23 PM
I said the Cube was overpriced and should cost $1200, this piece of Sh... should cost no more than $90.

Apple is selling a bunch of overpriced things like the TiBook that won't be resellable for more than $1300 in less than 6 month because it is not upgredable.

This iPod is for spoil rich kids with insane parents or an Apple fan as fannatic as a Taliban. It has good features but forget about getting it for $399!!!! Never, who gets that thing is a very stupid person.

Steve Jobs is under terrible consuling or is under too much pot. This propusal is not realistic at all. If Apple does something like this again is going down.

This unit may work for an audio engeneer to record some conference or rock band on the field in place of buying a expensive DAT machine, that is the only real good market this machinne is gonna have.

I love that thread!

hippo206
Jan 25, 2008, 05:33 PM
i doubt the mba will die, but i do see them doing big things (well hoping they will do big things) with version 2. Either that or maybe a little bit of a price drop to appel to more ppl. Altho apple has never been known to be "cheap" so the price cut might be minimal.

Jason S.
Jan 25, 2008, 05:39 PM
It's getting a lot of attention from the press. Because of the iPod and iPhone, people are starting to get more and more into Apple, and hopefully the MacBook Air's aesthetics will help to attract more people to Macs. People are going to want to see the MBA and play with it, and when they do, they'll get a taste of OS X, which may help drive them to switch.

It might not sell great, but it will benefit Apple in other ways. :cool:

dejo
Jan 25, 2008, 05:45 PM
June 2024. :D

valdore
Jan 25, 2008, 05:50 PM

OMG that is awesome.

Particular
Jan 25, 2008, 05:50 PM
don't feed the trolls ppl

thebeat
Jan 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
September 2008

greenmeanie
Jan 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
January 2009

Anderson3133
Jan 25, 2008, 06:19 PM
You can't reasonably compare a Macbook Air to an iPod. For one thing, Apple had never sold an mp3 player, and mp3 players were quite new in general (nevermind hard-drive players at that). A more accurate comparison would be to Apple's initial forays into the consumer laptop market with the clamshell iBooks--and that *still* wouldn't come close to describing the scale with which the iPod swept the mp3 market. Face it--the Macbook Air is just another addition to Apple's computer line, with the expected marketing push behind it. It is in no way comparable to the iPod in terms of marketability, or firsts, or innovation, or...anything. I'm sure people were eager to compare the Mac Mini to the iPod when others were talking about how irrelevant that would become as well. Surprise, surprise--the mini changed almost nothing in Apple's market share. However, at least the Mini wasn't priced halfway between the iMac and the Mac Pro. That's what Apple is trying with the Air--shoving an underweight and underpowered laptop in between two far more capable machines and trying to make a killing on it. Someone should remind Apple why they skipped that idea with the Mini.

Sorry to say but.... you are not getting the big picture with the Macbook Air. It is in a niche market, yes! But, within that niche market are other products much more expensive, much larger, and much worse off then Apple's Macbook Air. How is this unlike the Apple iPod in any way? It has a revolutionary hard drive (just like the Macbook air), it has rediculously thin (like the Macbook Air), and it incorporates new technology like Remote Disk and Touch gestures.

mashoutposse
Jan 25, 2008, 06:20 PM

I agree. I think people are underestimating the MBA's appeal. Practically all other thin and lights ask the user to make compromises on the most important parts -- screen and keyboard. I think the reality of MBA ownership will be much more pleasant than the specifications suggest.

heatmiser
Jan 25, 2008, 06:24 PM
Sorry to say but.... you are not getting the big picture with the Macbook Air. It is in a niche market, yes! But, within that niche market are other products much more expensive, much larger, and much worse off then Apple's Macbook Air. How is this unlike the Apple iPod in any way? It has a revolutionary hard drive (just like the Macbook air), it has rediculously thin (like the Macbook Air), and it incorporates new technology like Remote Disk and Touch gestures.

I can't describe it any better than I already did. Comparing the Macbook Air to the iPod is laughable; even Steve Jobs wouldn't go that far. :D

TEG
Jan 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
If any :apple: product should die it's http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/, and it's still around almost 2 years later. I don't think apple will give up on MBA any time soon, though an MBA "Take 2" might see the light of day at MWSF 09.

B

It has been dead for nearly a year now. I want one, but you can't find one anywhere. It is not even on the Apple Store site. The page still may exist, but just like Futurama's home page on the FOX-TV site, someone hasn't noticed and removed it.

TEG

killerrobot
Jan 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
Canīt see the air ever going away.

They already dropped the money on R&D, so once they get that back from sells, every purchase after is icing on the cake. They aren't going to lose any money from having it available to consumers-it just might not sell as fast as they hoped it would.

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
I second the go away.

this may surprise you but ultra-portability is a useful purpose to some people.

My argument is that the MB Air is not an ultraportable. Its lack of connectivity, the fact that it is the same form factor as the MB, and that it is severely limited requiring a lot of extra stuff to do basic things that other ultraportables have built in does not make it ultraportable.

It is the Ultrathin computer. I guarantee that when someone actually tries to travel with it, use it like an ultraportable they will be carrying around so much more crap (ethernet, super drive, external hard drive) that they will wish they spent a lot less money and bought a much more capable machine like the MB.

Mark my words ....

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 07:13 PM
It has been dead for nearly a year now. I want one, but you can't find one anywhere. It is not even on the Apple Store site. The page still may exist, but just like Futurama's home page on the FOX-TV site, someone hasn't noticed and removed it.

TEG

Not to digress, but check out the Zvox line of hifi stuff. They make nice products, rated much higher than the Apple HiFi.

bogman12
Jan 25, 2008, 07:28 PM
MBA will be like the MacMini.. underpowered machine limited to certain uses only. Except, the MacMini is $600 so I suspect the MBA will be received in an even worser fashion.

akadmon
Jan 25, 2008, 07:44 PM
December 21 2012.

Oh and BTW, the Aztecs and Nostrodamus had both predicted it, although neither new of the other's prediction (or existence, for that matter) :D

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 07:46 PM
December 21 2012.

Oh and BTW, the Aztecs and Nostrodamus had both predicted it, although neither new of the other's prediction (or existence, for that matter) :D

I think you are referring to the Mayans...

And BTW, thank god I already have my tinfoil hat on.

synth3tik
Jan 25, 2008, 07:49 PM

So, you speak for everyone??

Please stop.

akadmon
Jan 25, 2008, 07:55 PM
I think you are referring to the Mayans...

And BTW, thank god I already have my tinfoil hat on.

Poor Aztecs, they never get any respect!

HiRez
Jan 25, 2008, 07:58 PM
I don't think so ... I thought the Ipod would revolutionize the way we interact with our music.The iPod didn't revolutionize how we interact with our music, iTunes + iTMS + syncing did. They're not going to sell tens of millions of Airs, but if they sell enough to recoup their R&D costs and lure in a few more switchers, it'll be a success. Some of that miniturization R&D will be applicable to other projects as well Not a lot of people buy the top of the line Mercedes sports car either, but it exists.

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 08:00 PM

They did drain a lake for what it's worth... :p

xparaparafreakx
Jan 25, 2008, 08:06 PM
Who wants to take bets that the OP will buy a Air after a few revisions?

If it not for you, do not buy it. Go buy your macbook pro or macbook.

I already have a Macbook Pro 17" and so an air would be perfect for me.

Macbook Air won't die for at lease a year.

rsm5068
Jan 25, 2008, 08:19 PM

If you dislike it so much why talk about it? Usually when people don't like a new product they just keep looking at and buying what they like and let well enough alone. Also, as far as I know, no laptop in the Modern Steve Jobs Era has failed, although they may have changed names/styling a bit. Quit being so negative, it is because of people like you that technology is so slow to evolve into what it should have been a while ago. Face it: the CD is on its way out, Microsoft is shaking in its boots for the first time since Win95 and we may never see a winner in the HD DVD War (Barring some interference from the FCC), but we move on. Most major software developers are already offering direct downloads of their offerings, and that wont stop anytime soon. You probably haven't paid for music in 3 or more years much less bought a CD. Bluetooth and WiFi are just about everywhere, including in cars that already offer direct links for iPods. And once they finally standardize WiMAX we will never have to worry about wireless internet again. I will agree that I wish it had a FW port, but I don't really need it and thusly I don't whine like a punk. So please, quit B****ing about the MBA just because you miss the 12" PowerBook G4 and this engineering masterpiece doesn't quite live up to your dreams. And for God's sake spell definitely right!

digitalnicotine
Jan 25, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think the MBA is awesome. They pushed the thin portable notebook beyond anyone else so far. That's what I love about Apple. They aren't afraid to take risks, knowing they may or may not be very successful with every single attempt. The products they do produce are excellent *and* aesthetically pleasing. Some of their items are more appealing to me than others, but that doesn't motivate me to criticize a product merely because I personally have no real use for it. Even if I don't personally know anyone who is planning to purchase the item, I don't have the audacity to pretend I work in Apple Marketing and Research, and have knowledge beyond a mere guess to predict how well their products will succeed. The level of arrogance in this community is astounding. Fortunately, it's not the attitude of all members here, but some just amaze me with their snarky attitudes and elitist mentality. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Problem solved.

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
If you dislike it so much why talk about it? Usually when people don't like a new product they just keep looking at and buying what they like and let well enough alone. Also, as far as I know, no laptop in the Modern Steve Jobs Era has failed, although they may have changed names/styling a bit. Quit being so negative, it is because of people like you that technology is so slow to evolve into what it should have been a while ago. Face it: the CD is on its way out, Microsoft is shaking in its boots for the first time since Win95 and we may never see a winner in the HD DVD War (Barring some interference from the FCC), but we move on. Most major software developers are already offering direct downloads of their offerings, and that wont stop anytime soon. You probably haven't paid for music in 3 or more years much less bought a CD. Bluetooth and WiFi are just about everywhere, including in cars that already offer direct links for iPods. And once they finally standardize WiMAX we will never have to worry about wireless internet again. I will agree that I wish it had a FW port, but I don't really need it and thusly I don't whine like a punk. So please, quit B****ing about the MBA just because you miss the 12" PowerBook G4 and this engineering masterpiece doesn't quite live up to your dreams. And for God's sake spell definitely right!

I can spell defintaly however I want, definitely, definity, defanitopolis.

Down with MB Air!!!!

bogman12
Jan 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
II don't have the audacity to pretend I work in Apple Marketing and Research, and have knowledge beyond a mere guess to predict how well their products will succeed.

Let's see.. the Newton, Mac Cube, Mac Mini

Could the MBA go into that group? Perhaps..

robrose20
Jan 25, 2008, 08:32 PM
In all seriousness, I am being half hearted and am punching buttons a bit. What is disturbing to me is how cultish the Apple following has become. It seems like so long as it comes from Apple computer and from the mouth of Jobs it is right and all is good. It is a bit disturbing mind you. What is more disturbing is that when someone tries to express an opinion that is even slightly negative towards apple, they get bashed.

I have been using apple products for more than 22 years (boy I am old), and I think they make great products and that Steve Jobs is a great idea person and has done well for the company. But that is the point, it is just a company which makes computer products. That's all. I don't understand this cult like following.

Defintaly or is it Definitely?

For those who buy the MB Air, enjoy.

rsm5068
Jan 25, 2008, 08:36 PM

Thank you.

AutumnSkyline
Jan 25, 2008, 08:40 PM
don't feed the troll!!

dual64bit
Jan 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
In all seriousness, I am being half hearted and am punching buttons a bit. What is disturbing to me is how cultish the Apple following has become. It seems like so long as it comes from Apple computer and from the mouth of Jobs it is right and all is good. It is a bit disturbing mind you. What is more disturbing is that when someone tries to express an opinion that is even slightly negative towards apple, they get bashed.

I have been using apple products for more than 22 years (boy I am old), and I think they make great products and that Steve Jobs is a great idea person and has done well for the company. But that is the point, it is just a company which makes computer products. That's all. I don't understand this cult like following.

It's been like this since he came back in '97, even before that look at the NeXT lovers, people will always love the words that come out of his mouth. He's been on fortune and man of the year more than anyone else.

Not saying the products are all for the people, if they were they would be free. They do the best they can with the market they are selling to. I bought a MB air, I can't wait for it, it will fill my void since it's actually a mobile computer.

JCT
Jan 25, 2008, 08:46 PM

Oh wow-- what a screaming laugh riot.

Funny how you could just substitute MBA for iPod and completely recreate some of the "MBA sucks" threads that are all over the forums.

Some people really need some new material -- or at least a new crystal ball.

JT

Better2bRed
Jan 25, 2008, 08:48 PM
I commute 85 miles (each way) every working day by train, it takes between 45 to 55 minutes. whilst on the train I can access my emails, do some work and (importantly) watch a DVD when I am sick of work and want to chill out. I carry my MBP with me everywhere and would welcome a lighter and slimmer laptop, but not being able to watch DVDs makes it worthless.:(

JCT
Jan 25, 2008, 08:52 PM
I commute 85 miles (each way) every working day by train, it takes between 45 to 55 minutes. whilst on the train I can access my emails, do some work and (importantly) watch a DVD when I am sick of work and want to chill out. I carry my MBP with me everywhere and would welcome a lighter and slimmer laptop, but not being able to watch DVDs makes it worthless.:(

Rip your DVDs and load them on the harddrive -- I use my iPhone to relax with on the train and just load it up in the AM with what I want to watch.

JT

dual64bit
Jan 25, 2008, 08:53 PM

Exactly, the MB air could be considered the flagship product for the iTunes movie rentals.

All your movies should be digital downloaded thru the store, forget dvd's (at least in apple's minds)

akadmon
Jan 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
They did drain a lake for what it's worth... :p

Yeah, few people are as good at draining "lakes" as the Aztecs. Case in point ^ ;)

EDIT: I think Better2bBed is an Aztec after all! :D

Better2bRed
Jan 25, 2008, 08:58 PM
I have 200 - 300 DVDs, I'm not that organised and usually grab a DVD whilst running out the door. I have never ripped a DVD, but it sounds like it would take time (and trouble)

dual64bit
Jan 25, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have 200 - 300 DVDs, I'm not that organised and usually grab a DVD whilst running out the door. I have never ripped a DVD, but it sounds like it would take time (and trouble)

Well then, if you really like the macbook air, sounds like you'd be a good candidate for the external superdrive accessory.

Everyone got mad when they phased out the floppy drives, but nobody is complaining now. It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future. It could be risky and not pay off, and it could be something in 3 years that we look back on and wonder why?

xparaparafreakx
Jan 25, 2008, 09:03 PM

Jobs says lots of things and there are a lot of apple stuff out there but you do not see me buying them. I skip their displays for a gateway, iphone for a Windows Mobile Phone and have not bought a desktop from them in 10 years.

It just that the air hit the sweet spot for me.

And thanks, I will enjoy my Macbook Air.

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 09:06 PM

Definitely.

Better2bRed
Jan 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
Well then, if you really like the macbook air, sounds like you'd be a good candidate for the external superdrive accessory.

Everyone got mad when they phased out the floppy drives, but nobody is complaining now. It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future. It could be risky and not pay off, and it could be something in 3 years that we look back on and wonder why?

Dual - You clearly have never commuted carrying all those bits around. And what on earth would be the in swapping a MBP for a thinner MPA and then lugging around a separate drive, it would lose its purpose. SHEER MADNESS!!!!

Mantasis
Jan 25, 2008, 09:19 PM
I predict the MBAs date of ideath being....July of this year...don't expect this thing to survive through the summer. Sure they made this convienent little laptop, but we're still in the age of DVDs, people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information. How is having to upload all your dvds and **** onto the small*** HD convenient?

dsnort
Jan 25, 2008, 09:22 PM
It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future. It could be risky and not pay off, and it could be something in 3 years that we look back on and wonder why?

This is exactly what I was thinking about the MBA, it's not about where the laptop is today, it's the first view of what the laptop may be in 5-10 years. This is forward looking,"think different" stuff. Not everyone gets it. :p

dual64bit
Jan 25, 2008, 09:24 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking about the MBA, it's not about where the laptop is today, it's the first view of what the laptop may be in 5-10 years. This is forward looking,"think different" stuff. Not everyone gets it. :p

Thank you.

Those not familiar with the Think Different philosophy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 09:26 PM
"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels..." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different#Text)

God I love that commercial.

JCT
Jan 25, 2008, 09:27 PM
I predict the MBAs date of ideath being....July of this year...don't expect this thing to survive through the summer. Sure they made this convienent little laptop, but we're still in the age of DVDs, people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information. How is having to upload all your dvds and **** onto the small*** HD convenient?

And why would anyone contemplating digitizing their DVDs buy a MBA for their sole computer? Hell, it never even occurred to me to keep my iTunes library on my laptop -- it lives on the Quad G5 and my iPod, both have tons of space compared to the MBPs HDD.

And really, "people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information" ? Doubtful.

JT

dsnort
Jan 25, 2008, 09:35 PM
"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels..." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different#Text)

Best

Ad

Campaign

EVER!!!!!!!

sushi
Jan 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future.
Apple has been pretty innovative and successful in this light.

I would agree.

And why would anyone contemplating digitizing their DVDs buy a MBA for their sole computer? Hell, it never even occurred to me to keep my iTunes library on my laptop -- it lives on the Quad G5 and my iPod, both have tons of space compared to the MBPs HDD.
I have a PB15. I carry a small sized external HD with the movies that I want to watch on business trips. The external also serves as my backup HD. Sweet.

As for the MBA month and year date of death. Indefinite.

Mantasis
Jan 25, 2008, 09:38 PM

And really, "people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information" ? Doubtful.

JT

What I meant was videos and programs... Making the shift could be a hassle. It seems out of place, on the other side we have this whole hi def revolution occuring, and here we have a top of the line laptop that is drastically underpowered, expected to rent movies at a sad resolution(can you even get through a whole movie??).

elcid
Jan 25, 2008, 09:48 PM

True. They had by far the worst elite unit in Age of Empires II.

nikhsub1
Jan 25, 2008, 09:54 PM
It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future. It could be risky and not pay off, and it could be something in 3 years that we look back on and wonder why?

Well you two have just been pawned by Apple marketing ROFL. What has Apple pioneered with the MBA exactly? No Disc Drive? No ethernet port? No firewire port? ONE USB port? Dog slow processor? Users unable to have multiple batteries? OMFG! That is sooooooo forward thinking! Now if every manufacturer would leave out all these bits the world can FINALLY move forward with this revolutionary technology! :rolleyes:

My prediction is that the MBA will get 'revised' with backwards technology that is actually useful - Fall 2008

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
Well you two have just been pawned by Apple marketing ROFL. What has Apple pioneered with the MBA exactly? No Disc Drive? No ethernet port? No firewire port? ONE USB port? Dog slow processor? Users unable to have multiple batteries? OMFG! That is sooooooo forward thinking! Now if every manufacturer would leave out all these bits the world can FINALLY move forward with this revolutionary technology! :rolleyes:

Bloody clueless.

Please visit this post 5 years from now.

elcid
Jan 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
They have 18 billion in cash on hand. They are a successful company no matter how they market. Its amazing how many of you seem to think that Apple sits in a room and comes up with an idea with no input.

I agree with whoever said that they will make this a great platform for everything they are doing with the new itunes.

nikhsub1
Jan 25, 2008, 09:58 PM
Please visit this post 5 years from now.
For what? In 5 years there may be computer implants in my head... The MBA leaves things out that most folks need NOW. Ever heard of a DVD? I will not buy my movies or music via iTunes TYVM.

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 10:00 PM
For what? In 5 years there may be computer implants in my head... The MBA leaves things out that most folks need NOW. Ever heard of a DVD? I will not buy my movies or music via iTunes TYVM.

So just because it doesn't work for you, then it is doomed to fail?:rolleyes:

nikhsub1
Jan 25, 2008, 10:02 PM
So just because it doesn't work for you, then it is doomed to fail?:rolleyes:It doesn't work for me, but that is not why I think it will fail. I think my views are in the majority about the complete lack of features which will ultimately be it's demise.

JCT
Jan 25, 2008, 10:09 PM
Apple has been pretty innovative and successful in this light.

I would agree.

I have a PB15. I carry a small sized external HD with the movies that I want to watch on business trips. The external also serves as my backup HD. Sweet.

As for the MBA month and year date of death. Indefinite.

I do the same actually -- a very light little WD Passport. Partitioned with a bootable clone and a full data backup. Saved my ass once. I carry it with my MBP and will do it with the MBA. Hmmm, I think there is enough room for some movies on that "Data" partition...;)

JT

dsnort
Jan 25, 2008, 10:22 PM

My prediction is that the MBA will get 'revised' with backwards technology that is actually useful - Fall 2008

Yeah, moving backwards, that's what vision is all about.

We are moving into the digital age. An age of wireless connectivity. This new day is just now dawning, but it IS coming. You cannot stop it. All you can do is huddle in your cave as the new world marches by, clutching your physical media to your chest, and murmur "my precious, my precious". (Apologies to Tolkien)

In 5 years there may be computer implants in my head...

You'd never accept that, no room for a DVD player! :eek: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

digitalnicotine
Jan 25, 2008, 10:23 PM
nikhsub1, I see your point as to why you don't think the MBA will be successful. But I also think that what you consider impossible to deal with, or inconvenient do to the lack of certain ports, dvd drive, ect., others won't mind a bit.

Firewire port? Generally used for uploading digital video content, some external hard drives... maybe an older gen iPod? Personally, if I were on a video shoot, I'd bring my MBP, not the MBA. And I can load my music into the MBA easily as well?

As far as the DVD issue? I would have no problem ripping a DVD or 2, or downloading one from iTunes for commuter viewing, travel. I wouldn't expect it to be the absolute highest quality HD, nor would I need to put several on the smallish hard drive at the same time? It's easy enough to either throw a portable hard drive in my bag, or just swap them out on the hard drive as I go.

I think it's perfect for road warriors who aren't needing to do anything that requires a lot of ports/resources. For a business commuter, using it for email and Office would be perfect. With the added perk of having your music and a movie or 2 in such a compact space with a larger screen than comes on a portable DVD player or Touch.

The person who needs all the ports and power can opt for a MB or MBP depending on their needs, instead of a MBA. You'd be suprised how many don't really need much power from a laptop, but just the portability, basic functions, and a keyboard they can comfortably type on, (LCD that is easily viewed). I don't think anyone who is buying the MBA is using it as their sole computer.

Clearly, it's not meant for everyone. But for those who have a use for it? It's an awesome alternative to the MB or MBP. I think I just talked myself into buying one! ;)

BTW: The beast is freakin' awesome!!!

Luis
Jan 25, 2008, 10:23 PM
You'd never accept that, no room for a DVD player! :eek: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

TOTAL PWN

heatmiser
Jan 25, 2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, moving backwards, that's what vision is all about.

Sarcasm aside, it's very hard to argue making computers less accessible is what vision is all about. Apple's decision to finally get on board with 90% of other computer manufacturers and make RAM replacement something that didn't require professional training to accomplish wasn't a step backwards, it was a step forwards. User-replaceable batteries, hard drives, and memory are progressive measures. Taking those options away from computer users isn't vision, it's just bad business. A laptop isn't an iPod.

quagmire
Jan 25, 2008, 10:27 PM

How is a Dual Core 1.6 or 1.8 Ghz dog slow? My 1 Ghz single core G4 is still pretty fast. It isn't blazing fast anymore, but still plenty fast enough for me. Now I do plan to replace it soon with a 17" MBP as my main computer, but if I needed a secondary computer, the MBA would be my first choice. It is thin and portable. But, it can not serve as a main computer nor was it designed to be a sole main computer. The faster you realize that the faster you might see the market for this kind of computer. That is why ultra portables exist.

sushi
Jan 25, 2008, 10:35 PM
I do the same actually -- a very light little WD Passport. Partitioned with a bootable clone and a full data backup. Saved my ass once.
I have no idea why you would do this. It seems so much easier to carry all your install disks, CD backups of your presentation, and of course a brand new HD and tools so you can replace the HD while on the go! ;) :p :D

Hmmm, I think there is enough room for some movies on that "Data" partition...;)
You think! :)

Sarcasm aside, it's very hard to argue making computers less accessible is what vision is all about.
This is where you completely miss the point.

Apple is not doing what you say. They still offer the MB and MBP lines which have all kinds of features.

The MBA is an addition and is focused on a different market sector.

Apple is not eliminating (or limiting as you might say) their offerings, but rather adding to them.

diabolic
Jan 25, 2008, 10:36 PM
Taking those options away from computer users isn't vision, it's just bad business. A laptop isn't an iPod.

I would argue that the future of the computer is more likely to be as a consumer level appliance rather than something user-customizable. I realize that would be considered a bad thing by most of the people who post here.

heatmiser
Jan 25, 2008, 10:38 PM
Apple is not eliminating (or limiting as you might say) their offerings, but rather adding to them.

If you look at the MBA as part of the MB and MBP, sure. If you look at the MBA as an item by itself, however, it inarguably features regressive design parts, along with its steps forward. You can look at the Mac Mini as part of the iMac and Mac Pro and cheer Apple for adding to their desktop line, but if you look at the Mini on its own, it's hard to make the argument that it's a step forward, and not backward, for Apple. Now triple the price of the Mini so it's halfway between the Mac Pro and the iMac, and it gets even harder...

I would argue that the future of the computer is more likely to be as a consumer level appliance rather than something user-customizable. I realize that would be considered a bad thing by most of the people who post here.

I agree with you; the goal seems to tend toward "locked" devices more than toward tweakable ones. Unfortunately, that also leads to disposable devices over long-lasting ones (which, I imagine, is the ultimate goal). Just look at how many people simply sell or throw away iPods and buy new ones instead of bothering to replace the batteries themselves. It's good for the manufacturer, but bad for the consumer, and bad for the Earth (if anyone cares about that).

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Go away, please.

Seriously. What's the deal with these haters man. :cool:

KingYaba
Jan 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
I will say January of 2011 when Apple phases out the successful Macbook Air model with something more innovative.

HLdan
Jan 26, 2008, 01:18 AM
Who wants to take bets that the OP will buy a Air after a few revisions?

Dude, the idiot already placed the order. :D He just created this thread to see who else likes it so he'll feel good about himself for placing the order.

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 26, 2008, 01:50 AM

I think the point is that the MBA carries Apple's vision for the future like the iMac did. The iMac did away with the floppy and legacy ports and used pretty colors. And everyone else followed, causing a technology shift. Technology is currently shifting as we speak. USB and SDHC-based (thereby relying on USB card readers) are being introduced and, as they develop, have the potential to succeed current FireWire-based DV camcorders. Content is moving online as people (legally or illegally) download or stream movies and TV studios either sell shows or have the shows online for streaming. Burning music CDs? Flash drives, iPods, and the internet makes the need to burn songs to CDs increasingly a thing of the past. Newer airplanes have power ports. Virgin America has full 110v ports and most modern business classes do as well (most modern Economy classes either don't have any power ports or use EmPower). Wi-Fi, while not quite widespread enough, is increasingly being widespread. AT&T announced that their broadband subscribers would get free access to AT&T hotspots. If other ISPs announce similar deals and hotspots increasingly blanket the world, the lack of an ethernet port becomes less of a problem.

Whether or not the MBA is a step forwards or a step backwards really depends on your perception.

sonictonic
Jan 26, 2008, 01:52 AM

Sadly to say I'm too young (I think, LOL) and also too new to the Mac community to have ever seen this on TV, but I just watched the 60 second version of the commercial on YouTube and got chills it was so awesome and brilliant. Fricken fantastic ad. I kinda wish that we had super classy ads like this now instead of the pseudo-funny tongue-in-cheek ads that we currently have. Would it be stupid if Apple did a couple updated ads with this theme? Would that be lame? I think it'd be pretty cool...

roland.g
Jan 26, 2008, 01:52 AM
Is this like a Tarantino thread or something. Where's Robert Rodriguez?

Hey I personally don't want to sacrifice screen space, but I do want to jettison weight. MBA does both. Light, thin, productive, yet functional. Do I need to carry a DVD drive, ethernet dongle, usb hub, etc. No. Just the MBA and the power cord. I wish I was getting one, maybe rev. B, probably refurb whether rev. A or rev. B, so for me it will be some time. But since I have a gorgeous 2.8Ghz 24" iMac, that MBA makes a great second machine. The MacBook makes less sense since it is heavier and I don't like the white. A BlackBook with 2GB RAM is $150 less than an MBA. So it's a fairly easy call. And I like the backlit keyboard.

(õ)
Jan 26, 2008, 02:34 AM
I've been hearing a lot of PC users oggling over the air. It may not do quite so well among MAC users, but it just might be a turning point for some PC users.

sushi
Jan 26, 2008, 06:30 AM
I've been hearing a lot of PC users oggling over the air. It may not do quite so well among MAC users, but it just might be a turning point for some PC users.
Here in Japan, there is a whole mess of ultra-portable laptops and other small computers that seem to be very popular.

My bet, is that the MBA will fit in very nicely with this crowd.

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 26, 2008, 07:59 AM
Here in Japan, there is a whole mess of ultra-portable laptops and other small computers that seem to be very popular.

My bet, is that the MBA will fit in very nicely with this crowd.

Really? Last thing I heard was that Apple wasn't doing very well in Japan because they are totally outclassed in all of their product lines. I might just be wrong but seeing as you say there's a whole mess of ultra-portable laptops, it just seems to indicate that it will be difficult for Apple to compete in this niche market. :confused:

ScoobyMcDoo
Jan 26, 2008, 08:01 AM
So I look around at the company I work for and the ones who use the little "ultra portables" are the execs - because they spends half their life on the road.
Now the ones I see them use today look like little toys with tiny little screens. So, if the MBA ends up being really appealing to these folks, they would be the ones with the ability to push the IT folks to support the OSX platform. Once the platform is supported, then it will be easier for the rest of us to request macs for our desktop platform.

So, if this works, the MBA could be a brilliant move to increase Apple's overall market share in the corporate world.

starman0147
Jan 26, 2008, 08:43 AM
I reckon the Macbook Air will be ditched when the Macbook gets a new casing, neglecting the need for the MBA. This wont be for another year or so at least until it gets Montevina or maybe even longer till Nehalem. So I expect the Macbook Air to be around for at least a year. However as a funcutal ultra portable goes I would much rather have the cheap Asus EEE alterative paired with a iMac or MBP.

Macsleuth
Jan 26, 2008, 08:47 AM
I wanted to get this when I saw it, but it just wasn't enough. Maybe after a speed bump and drive size increase, it will be something I can use.
Told my PC friend about it, his eyes lit up and said, I want one!.
Going to show him the site today.
Wicked cool laptop though.
I don't see them discontinuing it this year though.
As chips and drives get smaller, I can see this being a great product for people who don't want to lug a laptop around....
Gary

dsnort
Jan 26, 2008, 09:09 AM
I reckon the Macbook Air will be ditched when the Macbook gets a new casing, neglecting the need for the MBA.

IMO, the MBA will get better specs and a lower price, and the MB will go away. I think the MBA is the new form factor for Apples MB class laptops.

sushi
Jan 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
Really? Last thing I heard was that Apple wasn't doing very well in Japan because they are totally outclassed in all of their product lines. I might just be wrong but seeing as you say there's a whole mess of ultra-portable laptops, it just seems to indicate that it will be difficult for Apple to compete in this niche market. :confused:
Apple is doing better in Japan now, I believe.

The problem with the abundance of ultra-portables, is that while there are many options, they do not appear to be flying off the shelves as you would expect. Part of that is due to market saturation in a country where the average number of cell phones that people have is well over 1, and most of those cell phones have so many features that many do not own a computer.

Enter the MBA. It's cool. It's fairly lightweight. It has a nice sized screen with a full sized keyboard and can run Windows in addition to the Mac OS. Did I say it's cool? :)

My guess is that it will be very popular over here since there seems to be a pent up buying demand for an Apple ultra-portable laptop. I think that thin will work great for those who have to carry it on the train. Better than thick with a smaller footprint IMHO.

Then again, I may be way off in left field on this.

gazfocus
Jan 26, 2008, 09:19 AM
I think the Macbook Air will be successful in it's market area. Before now, Apple users wanting an ultra portable have been pushed to have a Windows PC, but not anymore.

I do think the price is a bit unrealistic but I think Apple has done this to be in between the highest end (black) Macbook and the lowest end MBP.

mrsk
Jan 26, 2008, 09:21 AM
To be honest, I don't think the Air is a bad laptop at all. However, I still believe a lot of the frustration around here is due to the MacBook Pro not being updated, while Apple introduces a "worthless" (for the MBP crowd) toy that "no one" will ever buy.

Yes, I'm basing this on my own musings. As stated in other threads, I'm eagerly waiting for an MBP update to make the switch from my crappy Windows PCs (desktop and laptop) to one solid desktop replacement (in my case the MBP plus maybe a nice display for when I need to work at home). I've been told to wait, so that's what I did. Some part of me still wishes I just went ahead and bought it the instant I wanted to. The other part is really curious about what the next update will bring.

So yeah, the MBA release was a massive source of frustration for me. I can imagine that there's more people like me who don't specifically dislike the MBA for what it is but rather dislike the MBA because I feel that it's to blame for the lack of MBP upgrade.

Anyway, I'm quite over it already. I know that a simple CPU /GPU upgrade to the MBP wouldn't be worth the time in a keynote. Even upgrading to multitouch wouldn't be.
Then again, while the Air is a really cool design, I don't think that it will be the next iPod. Optical media are too integrated into our everyday life. I still listen to CDs every now and then. I still buy my DVDs in disc form so I can watch them on my TV (though my past bad luck with crashing and corrupted hard drives and the "data loss paranoia" that came with that might play a part too :D ).
But the fact that the MBA is a new line of its own makes me doubt that MacBooks or MBPs might become thinner and /or lighter in the future. Others claim that the MB will never get the backlit keys or the aluminium casing, I'd say that the MB and MBP will never be thinner and lighter, to create a demand for the MBA. Unless, of course, Apple decides to let the MBA die, which I can't see happening anytime soon.

Edit:
I do think the price is a bit unrealistic but I think Apple has done this to be in between the highest end (black) Macbook and the lowest end MBP.
The price for it isn't that unrealistic IMHO. It seems to be right where it should be, considering the market it's aimed at. Yes, it's too expensive /pricey for my needs, because I'd like to spend my cash on raw performance rather than portability. However, given the thinness and the weight of the MBA (which, after all, is not an ultra-portable but a real laptop) I'd like to think that the price isn't too expensive after all.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 26, 2008, 03:50 PM
you go away .. this is my thread... if it bothers you don't read it.It's not your thread, it's a thread you started on a public community forum.

There are lots of other places (like Digg), for that.

TheVandit
Jan 26, 2008, 04:22 PM
The iPod didn't revolutionize how we interact with our music, iTunes + iTMS + syncing did. They're not going to sell tens of millions of Airs, but if they sell enough to recoup their R&D costs and lure in a few more switchers, it'll be a success. Some of that miniturization R&D will be applicable to other projects as well Not a lot of people buy the top of the line Mercedes sports car either, but it exists.

That Mercedes point is very key in so many ways...maybe more than you thought

Mercedes were first to create ABS...they were first to put airbags into production cars...to create front and rear crumple zones.

Mercedes are a company that are very forward thinking and so is Apple. Apple is showcasing things on macbook Air that we will all take for granted in future notebooks. So get over it. Sure i want one bad...im not going to buy one because yes it wouldn't suit my needs...it doesn't mean its a crap product. Plenty of people will buy one.

If i could walk into an Apple store and be able to pick anything i wanted...id pick Macbook Air.

Blue Velvet
Jan 27, 2008, 06:58 AM
Too much bickering gives me a headache. Thread closed for a siesta.