PDA

View Full Version : My imac G3 600mhz mac isnt acting right please read...

fgreco
Jan 25, 2008, 08:05 PM
Hi I have an imac. Now I will give you its symptoms and, any input would be great.

It will boot after a while online with the airport card and or even offline running tiger 10.4 it will say the computer needs to restart and I need to hold the power button to shut it.

I try to put it on again and then it might beep a couple times and the fans sound like they are spinning and the power button light is on but there is nothing on the screen. I have to wait awhile then press the power button again and everything will be ok.

Is this the Hard drive or what if you know?

errol
Jan 25, 2008, 09:18 PM
Can you boot it from a startup disk (holding down the C) button?

fgreco
Jan 25, 2008, 10:38 PM
Can you boot it from a startup disk (holding down the C) button?

I have boot up dics for PC based system would it work for a Mac also? I am very good with Pc based systems such as Dell laptops but this Mac iam just getting my feet wet with it and, all of the sudden this happends.

ickystay
Jan 26, 2008, 08:47 PM
Could be that the beeps are telling you what's wrong.

One beep- No RAM installed or detected

Two beeps- Incompatible memory installed.

Three beeps- No RAM banks passed memory testing

Four beeps- Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM. The ROM (which is located on the processor module) is bad.

Are you using PC memory? Your computer want low density RAM.

three
Jan 27, 2008, 07:00 PM
Check for any of those beeps and report back to us. Also PC software WILL not work.

Idgit
Jan 28, 2008, 01:16 AM
Your iMac G3 is dying. It happened to mine (same model as yours). It's a common problem, apparently due to excess heat in the fanless iMac shortening the lives of certain components.

It's probably the flyback transformer. You can replace it but it'll cost you more than the iMac is now worth.

Google "flyback transformer" and "iMac" and you get a lot of hits.

fgreco
Feb 1, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you all of you. Yeah I sent it back to the guy I bought it from on ebay. He is going to take it back and give me my money back.

Yes it did get very hot and I think it was 4 beeps or so. I really dont remember I dont have it hooked up anymore but I want to thank all of you and I am sorry I ddint get back to you sooner.