Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elaralas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
or should I just get a Macbook for $900. Really just shooting for a notebook thats portable. I am using my student discount and have a $100 gift card to Apple Store. I am just a college student by the way with no other computer with me.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
There's a lot of buzz with the MBA amongst college students. It's up to you to decide which one is it. What do you think you would be more comfortable with? Personally I'd say MBA because of the nicer looks, LED, Backlit plus close in performance and of course the usual thinner and lighter.

Personally to me the extra money is well spent for a lighter, thinner, better looking notebook plus a few extra features

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
If you want to spend extra money for fewer features, get the MBA. If you want the best value for your money in a laptop that runs OS X, get the Macbook.

bayol05

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
For internet, Microsoft Office, and iPhoto, this is a great computer, but the MacBook is more powerful and feature filled for MUCH less money. But if the lightweight and thinness is important for you, I would consider it for sure. Its a great machine for basic computer use. Just a little pricey.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
If you want to spend extra money for fewer features, get the MBA. If you want the best value for your money in a laptop that runs OS X, get the Macbook.

Actually you should have said marginally less performance, as the MBA has a few features the MB does not.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Actually you should have said marginally less performance, as the MBA has a few features the MB does not.

The only features the MBA has that the MB doesn't are an aluminum shell, a backlit keyboard--which is modeled after the Macbook keyboard, and an LED screen--which is modeled after the Macbook screen. Besides that, it's just a gutted Macbook that costs $700 more. If the OP thinks it's worth it, no one's stopping him from getting it. But if he wants the best value for his money in a laptop that runs OS X, the MBA's not even on the radar; he'll be looking for a Macbook.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
The only features the MBA has that the MB doesn't are an aluminum shell, a backlit keyboard--which is modeled after the Macbook keyboard, and an LED screen--which is modeled after the Macbook screen. Besides that, it's just a gutted Macbook that costs $700 more. If the OP thinks it's worth it, no one's stopping him from getting it. But if he wants the best value for his money in a laptop that runs OS X, the MBA's not even on the radar; he'll be looking for a Macbook.

First of all even considering a MacBook Air puts him in a different category.

For many of us the aluminum shell, backlit keyboard, LED screen, large track pad with gestures, significantly thinner and less weight are WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL worth $700 especially at the competition a lot of us have looked at... ugh... What they fit into such a small and beautiful machine is amazing.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
First of all even considering a MacBook Air puts him in a different category.

You can argue forever, but it's not going to change the point that he'll get a better value for his money (presuming he's looking at the purchase from a fiscal-value standpoint) with a Macbook than he ever will with a Macbook Air.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX

I don't believe that MBA has any performance features that the MB does not. If you are talking about physical dimensions, yes, then the MBA has an advantage over MB, but if you are looking for a performance based machine, MB will would be the winner.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
You can argue forever, but it's not going to change the point that he'll get a better value for his money (presuming he's looking at the purchase from a fiscal-value standpoint) with a Macbook than he ever will with a Macbook Air.

Guess it's what you consider better value. If he thinks the processor bump (although a different processor) is worth going for the MB, then of course he will go for it. It's up to him to decide what he thinks is worth his money and what's not worth his money.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Guess it's what you consider better value.

heatmiser said:

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i agree
i think the mba is well worth the extra $$ also

however as a main computer it certainly lacks features
it's mostly recommended only as a secondary portable machine

the thinner size.. and lighter weight is def a big plus for a student

but cheaper price tag is also a big plus for a student =)

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I don't believe that MBA has any performance features that the MB does not. If you are talking about physical dimensions, yes, then the MBA has an advantage over MB, but if you are looking for a performance based machine, MB will would be the winner.

No I was fixing what he said. Look at his post that I quoted. He said buying the MBA is buying less features. Features and performance are different. Physical dimensions, as well as the other things stated a million times are features. Processor bump although marginal, is performance.

Looks, portability, LED, larger track pad; all that is very subjective.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
i agree
i think the mba is well worth the extra $$ also

however as a main computer it certainly lacks features
it's mostly recommended only as a secondary portable machine

the thinner size.. and lighter weight is def a big plus for a student

but cheaper price tag is also a big plus for a student =)

Though if entry level is what you can afford, makes sense to get it then though right? lol. From what students who are getting the MBA have been saving. Comfortable typing and portability (thinness and weight) are HUGE pluses.

cfd954

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2006
The MBA looks to be a good machine; as others have pointed out it does have some advantages over the MB such as the back lit keyboard which I really liked on my MBP, an LED back lit screen which is very nice and it is made out of aluminum. Once I get mine I will be using it for the internet, email, iWork, iPhoto and some aperture work. I would say if you are using it for those items then it could defiantly be a good computer, however if you are looking for something to do heavy video editing and graphic work I would look elsewhere.

BugMagnet

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
From a purely financial point of view, the MacBook is a better deal. The education discount will take 9% off the price of the MacBook vs. only 5.9% off the Air. When taking your gift card in to account, you'll be receiving a total price reduction of 18% on the MacBook vs. 11% on the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.