PDA

View Full Version : Itunes Movies outside US

Hawkeye3
Jan 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
What restricts Itunes Movies to the US. Is it where the hardware was purchased, or the site of access to the internet, or the country of residence of the user through sign-up? For example, can a US citizen with US purchased equipment download itunes movies when traveling outside the US? Can a Canadian download if he has a US billing address? Etc.

iDAG
Jan 26, 2008, 11:37 AM
The restrictions are based on where you live. Don't worry, Apple said they were going outside the US this year.

mrock
Jan 26, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's restricted based on where your credit card (or similar) is registered.

The restrictions are meant to be so that US Citizens only have access to the US store, UK citizens to the UK store etc, but it's not restricted on IP but on where your account is registered.

Therefore, there is nothing preventing a US citizen travelling in the UK (for example) from using the US store still.

jz1492
Jan 26, 2008, 07:29 PM
Before movie rentals, the only restricting factor was your card's billing address, but on that day, everyone had to agree to new terms of service before making their next purchase.

Since the document is particularly lengthy, I don't expect many Mac users actually reading it.

Clause 10 is short and clear, here you have it in its entirety,

"10. Territory. The Service is available only in the United States. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside of the available territory, and that Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance."

MrSmith
Jan 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hijack, but a similar question. I've always wondered how sites know where you are. When I try to access the BBC iPlayer it won't let me, saying it's only for the UK. How does it know I'm not there? IP address? If so, can I get an IP address in a different country?

barijazz
Jan 26, 2008, 08:54 PM
It's restricted depending on which international store you use. You can use the US store while you are in france or england etc.

MacinDoc
Jan 26, 2008, 11:21 PM
Before movie rentals, the only restricting factor was your card's billing address, but on that day, everyone had to agree to new terms of service before making their next purchase.

Since the document is particularly lengthy, I don't expect many Mac users actually reading it.

Clause 10 is short and clear, here you have it in its entirety,

"10. Territory. The Service is available only in the United States. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside of the available territory, and that Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance."
So does that mean that someone can rent iTunes movies while visiting the U.S.?

jz1492
Jan 27, 2008, 12:31 AM
So does that mean that someone can rent iTunes movies while visiting the U.S.?

You still can't buy from the US iTunes store without an American card on file, so I guess this is only to restrict access from Americans abroad, without adding any benefits to visitors in the US.

asrmatt
Jan 27, 2008, 01:57 AM
The restrictions are based on where you live. Don't worry, Apple said they were going outside the US this year.

Really? Is it official? Maybe i lost the news... :(
Will Europe really get movies, TV shows, ecc. in 2008?

We've been waiting loooong time for them!

iCantwait
Jan 27, 2008, 01:59 AM
well, what you do is...
Buy gift code voucher form ebay for the US store.
Go to redeem in the US store
set up account do not enter credit card
use valid zip code and phone number (google maps a mcdonalds)
and there you go.

I have had an active US iTunes account since October and I live in Australia. Just keep topping up your account with gift
vouchers off ebay.

This was iphoned

petvas
Jan 27, 2008, 04:47 AM
When Apple announced Movies for the iTunes US store, they promised to bring them to Europe in 2007. It didnt happen. Now Apple announced Rentals and promised to bring them to Europe in 2008...I don't believe they will keep their promise. Apple is a very US centric company. Europe means almost nothing to Apple...It's really a shame when you think of how many loyal Apple fans are out there...

Eldir
Jan 27, 2008, 09:27 AM
When Apple announced Movies for the iTunes US store, they promised to bring them to Europe in 2007. It didnt happen. Now Apple announced Rentals and promised to bring them to Europe in 2008...I don't believe they will keep their promise. Apple is a very US centric company. Europe means almost nothing to Apple...It's really a shame when you think of how many loyal Apple fans are out there...

Which is quite strange if you take into account that arround 45% of ther profit is from international sales. Taken into account that pricing outside the US is higher, the turnover might even be higher... :(

Source:
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/22/apple-1q-2008-results-record-1-58-billion-profit/

asrmatt
Jan 28, 2008, 05:24 AM

Just an idea... Could it be the the launch of Mac Book Air is a GOOD reason for Apple to finally put movies and shows in more countries?
Could the two things be heavily related? :confused:

Applespider
Jan 28, 2008, 05:44 AM

There's always been a similar clause since the iTMS first went online. But currently, Apple aren't using technologies to block foreign IP addresses and seem to be doing it purely through billing addresses.

11thIndian
Jan 28, 2008, 08:04 AM

I don't know why people think Apple is to blame in these situations. Don't you think it helps Apples iTunes agenda to be able to sell as much content in as many regions as possible? Sure it would! But Apple doesn't control the content, and it doesn't run the regulating body which decides how distributor's rights for regions around the world are managed. Unfortunately, we're saddled with a system from 30 or more years ago, when international movie rights were split up locally in order to control film distribution. I'm sure Steve's dream would just be the "iTunes Store", which could service all markets worldwide- but it's just not going to happen with the way things work in music, tv, and movie business.

Since rentals are not sales, I'm hoping this will make it easier for Apple to negotiate deals faster globally.

F0l3ert
Jan 28, 2008, 08:17 AM

It's the same with us Canadians. We Canadians mean even less to Apple than Europeans and we are neighbors! At least you Europeans get your iPhones. Our dollar is almost the same if not better, and yet we still have to pay higher prices.

Vmaatta
Jan 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
At least you Europeans get your iPhones. Our dollar is almost the same if not better, and yet we still have to pay higher prices.
Well Germany and France getting some iPhones is a far cry from europeans getting them. There's a lot more than those two countries. And an operator locked down insanely prized monthly fee sure as hell wouldn't pass :mad:.. and that's why we don't have it (Here in Finland a system like that is not even legal).

Back to the topic. Why are we still waiting for Movies and TV.. who knows.. Yes Europe is divided into way too many peaces when it comes to distribution agreements and such with movies and tv. But it's not stopping companies from selling DVD's. If the companies with the content rights would want some buyers from EU countries there's nothing stopping them.. Excuses :mad:.

F0l3ert
Jan 29, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well Germany and France getting some iPhones is a far cry from europeans getting them. There's a lot more than those two countries.

Sorry for sounding so ignorant about that. Shouldn't have made that mistake, as I was born in Europe too.:(

mostro900
Jan 29, 2008, 11:25 PM
Digital technologies and distribution technologies have really upset the media companies. They don't like having their business model altered dramatically by a 3rd party(any tech company) and Apple has been highly successful at dragging them into the 21st century.
Hopefully we'll get the movie rental option soon(Im in Australia), but I'm more likely to take the option that my fellow countryman above posted - buy those rental cards from ebay.....what a great idea! I was about to ask a friend in the US to 'borrow' his ccard, but I think the above option is a winner !! ;)

xcell
Oct 20, 2008, 04:06 AM
There is a list of obstacles preventing movie rental distribution in Europe via iTunes Store:

http://www.last100.com/2008/01/21/itunes-movie-rentals-in-europe-face-many-obstacles/

As one might think its the o(l)dd discussion about legal rights.
The bereaved are once again the customers who will have to wait until the copy right holders in Europe figured out some way of distributing the biggest pieces of the cake and then let the customers pay the price (which will be far higher than in the US).

I would presume that after Britain - France and Germany have the best chances in beeing able to access the movies in iTunes Store.

Neverthteless one can tell by Apple's new "Terms of Service" at their US Store that the pressure from European copy right holders is eminent:

"Terms of Sale
U.S. Sales Only
Purchases or rentals ... are available to you only in the United States and are not available in any other country. You agree not to use or attempt to use the iTunes Store from outside of the available territory...."

Which means that US citizens can't download or rent any movie/TV show/Application, etc. from their US store if outside the US (f.e. when they are traveling or in holidays).

Indeed - a obstacle ... and more to come!

umbilical
Oct 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
yes! we want in Central America!

rowlands
Oct 24, 2008, 11:19 PM
"Terms of Sale
U.S. Sales Only
Purchases or rentals ... are available to you only in the United States and are not available in any other country. You agree not to use or attempt to use the iTunes Store from outside of the available territory...."

Which means that US citizens can't download or rent any movie/TV show/Application, etc. from their US store if outside the US (f.e. when they are traveling or in holidays).

Thats no fun...

They do movie rentals in the UK now, at least according to my kid sister, they just charge $6 per movie! She says she can rent movies cheaper and quicker from Blockbusters. Seems like the European media rights people screwed Apple.