PDA

View Full Version : LOL: MacBook Air is thinner than the original iPod

MikeELL
Jan 26, 2008, 05:48 PM
0.76" plays 0.78"

I was just watching the original iPod intro on youtube when I realised... amazing how far we've come!

thejadedmonkey
Jan 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
Yet I'd take a 1st gen iPod and a 12" PB any day of the week. Ghz aside, We really haven't come far at all.:(

bigbadnewill
Jan 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hell no! I wouldn't have one of the original iPods, but then i was quite young when they first came out, and never saw one so they have no nostalgia for me!

They were a huge step in the right direction for jusic though, without them i'd still have my MD player :(

JSchwage
Jan 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
And at the thinnest point, the MacBook Air is 0.10 inches thinner than the current iPod nanos. :eek:

MikeELL
Jan 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
Yet I'd take a 1st gen iPod and a 12" PB any day of the week. Ghz aside, We really haven't come far at all.:(

Riiiight, so to clarify, *I* was referring to the LED tech, miniaturization of CPU/motherboard and battery components, (and that's just what's relevant to making it thin). The materials science behind making the casing and display mercury and arsenic free, etc etc, not to mention the 200+ patents behind multitouch alone are impressive by any standard. And I'm pretty sure I've missed a whole bunch of stuff out. :D

I'd say while this particular machine is probably only useful to a small niche market, the next mac I'm going to buy is lookin' good.

joemarioz
Jan 26, 2008, 06:26 PM
can you tell me the youtube link please!

djellison
Jan 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
This 'thin thin thin' obsession (which Jobs is seriously suffering from, as well as most of this board) is crazy.

Thin does not mean small.

The Great Wall of China is 'thinner' than my House.

At my 'thinnest' point, I'm only 50 microns (a hair sticking up from my head)

Doug

bigbadnewill
Jan 26, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thin is the new fat! But you have to admit, even the fattest point of the MBA is pretty dam thin!
Shame the wad of notes required to purchase one isn't thin!

MikeELL
Jan 26, 2008, 06:34 PM
can you tell me the youtube link please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

wasn't too hard to look up mate ;)

heatmiser
Jan 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
This 'thin thin thin' obsession (which Jobs is seriously suffering from, as well as most of this board) is crazy.

Thin does not mean small.

The Great Wall of China is 'thinner' than my House.

At my 'thinnest' point, I'm only 50 microns (a hair sticking up from my head)

Doug

Agreed. It's the inevitable result of prizing form over function, though. We take one step backwards with every two steps forward. For example, it'll be a couple of years before the iPod touch catches up with the drive capacity of the regular iPods...but in the meantime, it's got wifi and a web browser.

bigbadnewill
Jan 26, 2008, 06:37 PM
Agreed. It's the inevitable result of prizing form over function, though. We take one step backwards with every two steps forward. For example, it'll be a couple of years before the iPod touch catches up with the drive capacity of the regular iPods...but in the meantime, it's got wifi and a web browser.

And if you jailbreak it, it actually becomes worth buying :D

Just watched the iPod introduction, Steve Jobs is ace! He made me want a 1st Gen iPod and as mentioned earlier i never even really seen one, haha! Bet i would buy double glazing from him!

AirmanPika
Jan 26, 2008, 07:36 PM
hehe another slightly off topic post but the iMac intro is weird too but for other reasons...can you find em?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHPtoTctDY

BioChron
Jan 27, 2008, 05:00 AM
I wonder how thin will be too thin. When the thickest part of a laptop is .4 inches, you could probably break it.