Jan 26, 2008, 09:04 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2046/2206576816_23503ec905.jpg?v=0

I found here: http://flickr.com/photos/kayakleader/tags/mwsf2008/

macfan881
Jan 26, 2008, 09:07 PM
Wow MS starting to suport Mac again:D

KingYaba
Jan 26, 2008, 09:30 PM
Interesting but too bad I will not use it. Over the years I have pushed my friends to use AIM + iChat.

juanm
Jan 27, 2008, 02:52 AM
I don't like the idea of putting the display on a Mini. If they had the exact same footprint, I'd like it, but it's not the case.
Anyway, nice to have an up to date Messenger. I don't like having to say to my switcher friends that they have to use Adium because Messenger for Mac is too old (people use it a lot in France and Spain)

cbrain
Jan 27, 2008, 03:04 AM
A new version of Messenger is good news for me. All my friends use Messenger on Windows and I would like to be able to use features such as Webcam and Voice Notes with them.

I agree with Juan Moro. Putting a display on top of a Mini is a bad idea in my opinion.

omikjam
Jan 27, 2008, 04:13 AM
Looking forward to this.. Just hope they don't add the bloat the windows version has.. All my friends use MSN so I'm forced to use it too :(

psychofreak
Jan 27, 2008, 04:21 AM
Hopefully it won't be long until I can delete Mercury for this...Adium will still be my first choice though...

Willis
Jan 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hmm, doesnt seem too different from the version running now.

I use MSN primarily and being able to not explain to others that I have a Mac, I cant do that... is a joy in itself.

fluidedge
Jan 27, 2008, 12:28 PM
doesn't look any different to me.

And why oh why are they persisiting on using that bloody great big button for 'send' - who actually clicks send rather than hits the enter key?

netdog
Jan 27, 2008, 12:29 PM
When can we trash try the beta?

::Lisa::
Jan 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't like the positioning of the webcam there. The windows version replaces the display picture with the webcam feed. I hope they tweak it a bit to do that as it just seems most logical and space saving that way.

I hope they fix the display picture thing also. In the version I'm using now it doesn't load peoples display pictures most of the time.

I use MSN also simply because everyone else I chat with use it.

lofight
Jan 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
I hope they make the AV good.. but i prefer adium with AV

deathshrub
Jan 27, 2008, 04:34 PM
I agree with Juan Moro. Putting a display on top of a Mini is a bad idea in my opinion.

But quite appropriate for how moronic microsoft is.

BioChron
Jan 27, 2008, 10:57 PM
The only reason I would ever want to used MSN messenger on a Mac is for video or audio chat. Really, Adium or similar programs are better.

Norco
Jan 27, 2008, 11:55 PM
But quite appropriate for how moronic microsoft is.

Yes, I'm sure that NOBODY else but Microsoft has ever put an Apple Display on top of the Mac mini. Puhleeze.

ALT-255
Jan 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, I'm sure that NOBODY else but Microsoft has ever put an Apple Display on top of the Mac mini. Puhleeze.

Who cares about the display on top of the Mac mini, is not the point of the post to talk about MSN 7 Beta? :rolleyes:

-

Neutral Gamer
Jan 28, 2008, 11:27 AM

Quite right, yet some people feel the need to bash Microsoft at every available opportunity. Did I miss the announcement where it was officially declared that every single problem in this world is Microsoft's fault? :rolleyes:

Who cares about the display on top of the Mac mini, is not the point of the post to talk about MSN 7 Beta? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, people are debating / losing sleep over the idea of an ACD being put on top of a Mac Mini?! :eek:

As for MSN 7, I think Adium is an excellent, well designed program but if MSN can offer video I'd use it. And like many people here the vast majority of my friends use MSN so it's annoying this feature has been Windows only for so long. Let's hope MSN 7 can compete more closely with Adium.

Aguero
Jan 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
Quite right, yet some people feel the need to bash Microsoft at every available opportunity. Did I miss the announcement where it was officially declared that every single problem in this world is Microsoft's fault? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, people are debating / losing sleep over the idea of an ACD being put on top of a Mac Mini?! :eek:

As for MSN 7, I think Adium is an excellent, well designed program but if MSN can offer video I'd use it. And like many people here the vast majority of my friends use MSN so it's annoying this feature has been Windows only for so long. Let's hope MSN 7 can compete more closely with Adium.

Can you use MSN 7 in VMWare Fusion/Parallels with successful webcam support? I'm in the move for an updated MBP once it's available (currently windows user). It would be too complex to install Fusion just for one chat program, but I'll be using it also for other windows-only applications. Is there anyone here who runs MSN 7 through Fusion/Parellels?

Neutral Gamer
Jan 28, 2008, 12:06 PM
Can you use MSN 7 in VMWare Fusion/Parallels with successful webcam support? I'm in the move for an updated MBP once it's available (currently windows user). It would be too complex to install Fusion just for one chat program, but I'll be using it also for other windows-only applications. Is there anyone here who runs MSN 7 through Fusion/Parellels?

You can always use aMSN in Mac OS if you want webcam support. Also, although I haven't personally tried MSN with it, in Fusion there's a menu option that allows you to use the built in iSight camera. (Virtual Machine -> USB -> Connect built-in iSight).

On a sidenote, I think Fusion is a great program. I used it soley to listen to songs from my Napster subscription and it worked a treat, but if Apple offered subscription music in iTunes I'd never have to use Windows again ...

anti-microsoft
Jan 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
When it becomes available I hope it is stable!! Cos all the other apps (Mercury and aMSN) are certainly not!

Aguero
Jan 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
You can always use aMSN in Mac OS if you want webcam support. Also, although I haven't personally tried MSN with it, in Fusion there's a menu option that allows you to use the built in iSight camera. (Virtual Machine -> USB -> Connect built-in iSight).

OK thank you! :) Yes, I'm familiar with aMSN when I was experimenting with Linux over the past few years, but it has a few flaws and although it has some expansions and plug-ins, I miss the opportunity to install msgplus (for chat logs, don't know if messenger:mac has them standard built-in). But it's nice to know that Fusion has an option for the iSight camera :cool:

On a sidenote, I think Fusion is a great program. I used it soley to listen to songs from my Napster subscription and it worked a treat, but if Apple offered subscription music in iTunes I'd never have to use Windows again ...

Yep, I already heard some very positive things about Fusion. Although my university offers pretty much all academic programs I need via a Citrix framework, it often is (at least in windows) quite laggy so I prefer to install the programs myself, which justifies my need for Fusion for some of them.

psychofreak
Jan 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
I miss the opportunity to install msgplus (for chat logs, don't know if messenger:mac has them standard built-in).It does, along with Mercury and Adium :)

cecemf
Jan 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2046/2206576816_23503ec905.jpg?v=0

I found here: http://flickr.com/photos/kayakleader/tags/mwsf2008/

WHat webcam are they using ?

lofight
Jan 28, 2008, 03:30 PM

kind of logitech probably..

mail4asim
Jan 28, 2008, 03:37 PM

Seems like they are using Logitech Ultra vision

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GP4G1I/ref=dp_cp_ob_title_3

I got it a few months ago with a 60 dollar MIR. Keep checking sites like slickdeals.net and find a good deal on it. Logitech rebates are very reliable and this camera works like a charm.

tadunne
Jan 28, 2008, 04:03 PM
In this day and age IM/Audio/Video chat should be a standard so it does not matter what client is used.

AIM have started their move to using Jabber, the true standard. MS needs to do the same.

Cloudsurfer
Jan 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
It's about time they supported video. They kind of ran out of excuses.

I'd also like to see more streamlined windows, but I guess that's too much to ask of Microsoft.

SugarMice
Jan 28, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, this was a booth in the Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco 2008. I talked to the person in charged of the booth and she told that it's not going to be available until later on this year and that the beta version is going to be released for business users only first, so i guess its not going to be available for download. I can't wait for this to come out, everyone I know uses microsoft messenger and I've always wanted to do video conferencing using iSight but anyway, just adding something to the thread!.:D:apple:

mail4asim
Jan 28, 2008, 05:40 PM
Sugarmice.. thanks for sharing. You know once it's out for business users, it'll get leaked to us soon after that . :D

Hey guys, this was a booth in the Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco 2008. I talked to the person in charged of the booth and she told that it's not going to be available until later on this year and that the beta version is going to be released for business users only first, so i guess its not going to be available for download. I can't wait for this to come out, everyone I know uses microsoft messenger and I've always wanted to do video conferencing using iSight but anyway, just adding something to the thread!.:D:apple:

lamadude
Jan 28, 2008, 06:31 PM
recieving offline messages would be nice as well. The messages that people send you when your computer is turned off. Neither adium nor the current msn for mac support this.

Tallest Skil
Jan 28, 2008, 06:37 PM
some people feel the need to bash Microsoft at every available opportunity.

Yeah, about that... What company makes a software title for systems that don't like the title as a filename? I'm of course referencing the fact that they choose to put a colon in the name. :p

This has been A Moment of Severe Geekery, brought to you by Tallest Skil.

speakerwizard
Jan 28, 2008, 07:16 PM
from the horses mouth:

http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2007/11/12/a-chat-about-messenger.aspx

stainlessliquid
Jan 28, 2008, 11:10 PM
I see they are still rocking the silver dollar sized send button

samh004
Jan 29, 2008, 12:38 AM
When it becomes available I hope it is stable!! Cos all the other apps (Mercury and aMSN) are certainly not!

Mercury hasn't crashed on me for months... perfectly stable.

recieving offline messages would be nice as well. The messages that people send you when your computer is turned off. Neither adium nor the current msn for mac support this.

Mercury does though.

MSN 7.0 looks a bit more promising than recent releases, hopefully they really refine the UI before it's released though, and hopefully that work doesn't take them the better part of this year. I can't believe they can't hire people that can do things on time.

lofight
Jan 29, 2008, 01:18 AM
In this day and age IM/Audio/Video chat should be a standard so it does not matter what client is used.

AIM have started their move to using Jabber, the true standard. MS needs to do the same.
I'm not sure about jabber, it isn't really user-friendly. I tried it, but it didn't really work nice, maybe if they (msn, aim,..) make it easy to make a jabber account.

nebsta
Jan 29, 2008, 05:34 AM
I hope that MSN 7 changes the icon in the dock so that the user knows then they are logged in without having to open the application window.

chelsel
Jan 29, 2008, 09:54 AM
Well, the video quality should be superb. When I use iChat, even on a local network the video quality is absolutely horrendous with frequent dropouts, etc (and that's on the highest bandwidth settings).

anti-microsoft
Jan 29, 2008, 11:38 AM
Well, the video quality should be superb. When I use iChat, even on a local network the video quality is absolutely horrendous with frequent dropouts, etc (and that's on the highest bandwidth settings).

I'm sorry?? iChat is the best I've tried by far!

Ryox
Feb 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
That looks cool, hope its not too long before its out

Stella
Feb 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
Too little too late. Skype is way better, IMO.

Kilamite
Mar 9, 2008, 06:24 PM
All my mates use Windows Live Messenger. To use my MBP's iSight, I have to boot up Parallel's Desktop and log in. Though, because since the last update all MBP's have 1.3 megapixel cameras it appears that the webcam is zoomed in by a huge amount so I literally have to sit back by about 4 feet just so my face is in proper view.

I've been waiting for this ever since I switched to Mac's. Better be out by May.

erijane
Mar 15, 2008, 09:51 PM
Interesting but too bad I will not use it. Over the years I have pushed my friends to use AIM + iChat.

I am a an avid I chat user- no need for anything more..

Cloudsurfer
Mar 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
By the looks of it, we won't see this until at least Q4 2008/Q1 2009. The excuse is always the same: it has to be "in sync" with Windows Live Messenger. If there's anything it isn't, it's in sync with its Windows counterpart.

I think it's pathetic how slow the Mac BU develops. Although I don't use any other messenger client than Microsoft's own brew, I have completely given up hope for this version 7. We will see no new features, no new UI, no improved performance, except support for Audio and Video.

Considering Apple makes fine freeware software for Windows, you'd expect Microsoft would at least give us a fully-featured Mac MSN client, but no.

What the world needs is a 3rd party client, focused soley on the MSN protocol, that can tap into all the features of the Windows client. If I had the programming knowlegde, I would dedicate my spare time to that.

AnonymousOne
Mar 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
Looking forward to this as most of my friends are Msn users.

steinlager
Apr 4, 2008, 02:27 PM
there's also the coming of Trillian Astra (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ap/) and yes, it is coming out for mac... eventually :D

t0mat0
Apr 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
That's one large lift...

tom.
Apr 9, 2008, 06:52 AM
MSN is much bigger in the UK i think. All my friends use it also.

This would be a nice addition to my dock :-D.

Daveoc64
Apr 9, 2008, 08:58 AM
Considering Apple makes fine freeware software for Windows, you'd expect Microsoft would at least give us a fully-featured Mac MSN client, but no.

You are kidding aren't you?

QuickTime is the WORST Windows app ever. iTunes is ok, but pretty bad considering how important it is.

Safari is better, but doesn't follow key Windows design features.

I don't know anyone that uses anything but MSN.

psychofreak
Apr 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
All my mates use Windows Live Messenger. To use my MBP's iSight, I have to boot up Parallel's Desktop and log in. Though, because since the last update all MBP's have 1.3 megapixel cameras it appears that the webcam is zoomed in by a huge amount so I literally have to sit back by about 4 feet just so my face is in proper view.

I've been waiting for this ever since I switched to Mac's. Better be out by May.

I just use Mercury Messenger, its much easier...

tom.
Apr 9, 2008, 09:52 AM
You are kidding aren't you?

QuickTime is the WORST Windows app ever. iTunes is ok, but pretty bad considering how important it is.

Safari is better, but doesn't follow key Windows design features.

I don't know anyone that uses anything but MSN.

I agree on the Windows front, especially considering how long it took Apple to make a 64-bit version of iTunes, when I had paid 200 for my iPT and could hardly use it!

nidserz
Apr 16, 2008, 05:17 AM
any idea when we might see MSN 7?

armd.franco
Apr 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
it's taking forever :(

mrtravel123
May 4, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm seeing the latest update as... "Released: Tuesday, April 29, 2008."

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/messenger/default.mspx

(Go to downloads section)

Do we have video for personal users yet????

UltraNEO*
May 7, 2008, 01:13 AM

NOPE!!

lofight
May 7, 2008, 05:43 AM

It's terrible what microsoft did. It just has search and self-choosable nicknames in it. I still hate it.

t-johnson
May 22, 2008, 07:55 AM
Great overall idea but not as good as it could be.

drcreek
Jun 6, 2008, 06:43 AM
All I want to know is why is Farther Jack using a Mac?

shaunomacx
Jun 6, 2008, 06:50 AM
All I want to know is why is Father Jack using a Mac?

Father Jack is actually a very good friend of mine and lives 5 mins from where I am now :):D:D:D

Father Jack
Jun 6, 2008, 06:55 AM
All I want to know is why is Farther Jack using a Mac?
This is Father Jack .. :)

Why shouldn't I be using a Mac?

ps
You forgot Arse !!! ..:)

Exist2Inspire
Jun 9, 2008, 09:58 AM
Dammit. Only just heard about this and have been waiting ages. The same day my MacBook goes in for repair :(

AndyK
Jun 10, 2008, 09:45 PM
Does it receive offline messages properly now?

seashellz
Jun 12, 2008, 03:12 PM
my god-are they STILL using those 'Fisher-Price' system graphics (on toys for toddlers)
hmmmmmm.....maybe there IS a reason

Elven
Jun 13, 2008, 01:12 PM
When will they learn that applications which look fine in Windows, look awful within the GUI of a MAC environment.

That pathetic excuse for a instant messaging client is just ugly in my view.

nidserz
Jun 13, 2008, 01:19 PM
Does it receive offline messages properly now?

what do you mean by this?
i hate how you cant send msgs to people who are offline.
this is the only app that i prefer in windows...waiting for a version that compares (i tried adium and amsn but im just too used to the windows messenger look).

AndyK
Jun 13, 2008, 01:22 PM
what do you mean by this?
i hate how you cant send msgs to people who are offline.
this is the only app that i prefer in windows...waiting for a version that compares (i tried adium and amsn but im just too used to the windows messenger look).

Apparently the current MSN for mac is supposed to be able to receive messages sent to you while you're offline but it doesn't.

I'm wondering if this newer version works now with this service.

Jul 8, 2008, 08:23 PM
whats the harm in not creating an identical msn for osx?. shared folders, isight supported, nudge etc.

(p.s. i hate nudge)