PDA

View Full Version : Which Macbook Air you ordered and why????

Cybergypsy
Jan 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
Myself the 1.6 80G 4200, Think I will wait a bit on the SSD to get a little bigger.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 27, 2008, 10:21 AM
Myself the 1.6 80G 4200, Think I will wait a bit on the SSD to get a little bigger.

I really want the 1.8 SSD one, so I think I'm gonna keep saving. I could buy the 1.6 now, but I want the SSD because it's faster and newer technology, plus I feel like SSD is gonna be making it's way into all the laptops eventually.

MacRumorUser
Jan 27, 2008, 10:28 AM
Bought the standard model with 80gb HDD.

Didn't think 200mhz was worth 300 extra
Didn't think SSD was worth 1000 extra

I'm hopeful the HDD is replaceable with the SSD as a later date, so that in a years time when the price of SSD has fallen considerably I can whip out the HDD & put in the SSD.

--

As for why ?

Need a portable, one that main central focus will be accounts, contacts, surfing, word processing, and occasional proofing / demoing work to clients.

Had a Mac Book Pro and it was overkill. Never use the Superdrive, but love the aesthetic (aluminum, back lit keyboard, LED screen)

MBA offers me the features set that I like in the MBP, but offers a lighter more portable frame.

Its not my main computer, as all my work is done on my Quad Mac Pro - and so I think the MBA will be the perfect niche product which suits my needs down to the ground.

:)

matt4077
Jan 27, 2008, 10:31 AM
1.8 and SSD. 1.8 just because I can. SSD because I hate HD. I've seen too many fail and keep getting nervous whenever I hear them make any sound. I also don't need to take a movie library with me anywhere so the 64GB should be enough.

teerexx52
Jan 27, 2008, 10:43 AM

1.6, 80gb standard configuration. As to why? I want to play with one as the design intrigues me. Also, I have so little on my current HD I can easily fit onto the 80gb drive.

Cybergypsy
Jan 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
1.8 and SSD. 1.8 just because I can. SSD because I hate HD. I've seen too many fail and keep getting nervous whenever I hear them make any sound. I also don't need to take a movie library with me anywhere so the 64GB should be enough.
I think many of us CAN, but choose not too :)

Anderson3133
Jan 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
I really want the 1.8 SSD one, so I think I'm gonna keep saving. I could buy the 1.6 now, but I want the SSD because it's faster and newer technology, plus I feel like SSD is gonna be making it's way into all the laptops eventually.

Very good point. Especially since Toshiba and Samsung have both began mass production on their 128GB SSD :) Hence why I am personally waiting for version 2. And also because with Lenovo's new laptop it will force apple into some big changes that I, and most consumers will enjoy.:apple:

MacRumorUser
Jan 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
I think many of us CAN, but choose not too :)

Yep exactly :) Lets face it, most of us are buying these when if asked "do we 'need' to" .. then the honest answer would probably be no.

The most honest & real reason were buying in any config is because we 'want' to.... :D;):)

But if it fits a space in our lives and suits a purpose, all the better :D

Cybergypsy
Jan 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
Just got free overnight shipping
MACBOOK AIR 13/1.6/2GB/80GB-USA
MB003LL/A

$1,699.00

$1,699.00
Add a gift message
Ships by: Feb 6
Delivers by: Feb 7

Flyer0815
Jan 27, 2008, 11:12 AM
I picked up the 1.6 80 GB. I feel it is the perfect compliment to my office and home mac's, and is absolutely perfect for grabbing out of the briefcase and running into a meeting room. I played with the SSD option, but could not justify the high price for my needs.... But it was a painful decision putting that SSD in and taking it out of the cart :)

matthewHUB
Jan 27, 2008, 11:12 AM
1.8 with standard HD.

I wanted to upgrade to SSD in 6-8 months and then have the equivalent of the top model, so if i ever come to sell it, it'll be the top of the line for when i bought it.

mcvaughan
Jan 27, 2008, 11:53 AM
1.8 SSD as I like the latest and greatest. I also anticipate the SSD being faster and / or better with power consumption. It's a win-win situation. :D

Phil A.
Jan 27, 2008, 12:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

1.8 with SSD. Went with SSD because I think the 4200rpm HDD will drag performance down too much. My main machine is a Mac Pro with loads of storage so the small size of the SSD won't be a problem for me.

phungy
Jan 27, 2008, 12:06 PM
Just got free overnight shipping

How?

Cybergypsy
Jan 27, 2008, 12:07 PM
The samsung SSD just connects to the 4200Pata drive connectors, so it is easy to change

Look at other thread :)

skyrider007
Jan 27, 2008, 12:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

1.8 with SSD. Went with SSD because I think the 4200rpm HDD will drag performance down too much. My main machine is a Mac Pro with loads of storage so the small size of the SSD won't be a problem for me.

the thing costs like 2000 quids, a total rip off

gcmexico
Jan 27, 2008, 12:21 PM
Got the 1.8 80HD...just wanted to boost the speed a little, and was willing to pay the extra 300 than 1000

Cybergypsy
Jan 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
the thing costs like 2000 quids, a total rip off

Please don't judge other people purchases....or find another thread

diabolic
Jan 27, 2008, 12:28 PM
I ordered the 1.8/SSD. I don't need a speed demon, but was afraid I'd notice it being a lot slower.

If SSD prices plunge in the next year, I'll replace the 64GB with a larger one.

skyrider007
Jan 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
Please don't judge other people purchases....or find another thread

i apologise, however i was judging Apple's unfair pricing in Europe.

compuguy1088
Jan 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
Bought the standard model with 80gb HDD.

Didn't think 200mhz was worth 300 extra
Didn't think SSD was worth 1000 extra

I'm hopeful the HDD is replaceable with the SSD as a later date, so that in a years time when the price of SSD has fallen considerably I can whip out the HDD & put in the SSD.

--

As for why ?

Need a portable, one that main central focus will be accounts, contacts, surfing, word processing, and occasional proofing / demoing work to clients.

Had a Mac Book Pro and it was overkill. Never use the Superdrive, but love the aesthetic (aluminum, back lit keyboard, LED screen)

MBA offers me the features set that I like in the MBP, but offers a lighter more portable frame.

Its not my main computer, as all my work is done on my Quad Mac Pro - and so I think the MBA will be the perfect niche product which suits my needs down to the ground.

:)

Yea it is pretty easy to replace. Gizmodo has opened up the MBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyc8wMAihZA

Cybergypsy
Jan 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
Yea it is pretty easy to replace. Gizmodo has opened up the MBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyc8wMAihZA

Thats one sexy battery LOL

netdog
Jan 27, 2008, 12:58 PM
Unless you have money to burn, getting the admittedly slow PATA drive and waiting for production to ramp up and prices to plummet on the SSD seems kind of silly, especially given the size. Then again, if money is not a big issue, the SSD is very pricey, but it will be fast.

zedsdead
Jan 27, 2008, 01:07 PM

Same reason, except I have an iMac.

Originally had the 1.6/80, but after the first round of reviews came out that were stating the hard drive seemed to be bottlenecking the performance I ended up caving to the 1.8/64SSD. Expensive yes, but I really am not home so much during the day or weekends anymore and the Air is perfect for me. I don't need a lot of space, but the SSD advantages seem to be good, plus I like the fact that it won't feel obsolete when the Air's finally go SSD in the base model.

Nibi
Jan 27, 2008, 02:03 PM
1.6/80gb here

I am a teacher and grad student, so web-surfing, word processing and assorted entertainment apps for me. I must echo the people who fell in love with the aesthetic appeal. Also, as a city-dweller, its light weight and relative portability are making this my only computer.