PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air alternative

DJGuy
Jan 27, 2008, 10:39 AM
OK, there's a lot to like with the MacBook Air, and it's discussed intensely elsewhere.

But suppose, like me, you're moving from the 12" Powerbook G4?

There is no longer anything at the 12" size. So naturally, I've been looking at the 13" MacBook for some time. I pick the black model, 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, upgrade to 2GB, has 160GB HD 5400 rpm. Double layer Superdrive. $1649, not too bad. Less if you upgrade the memory yourself.

The only thing that bothers me a lot is that it weighs 5.0 pounds--only 0.4 pounds less than the 15" MacBook Pro! By the way, the 12" Powerbook G4 weighs 4.6 pounds.

What to do? Well, how about removing the Superdrive? If that saves me 0.4 pounds, then hey, I'm down to the 12" Powerbook G4 weight. Now I could buy the external Superdrive, or maybe save a few bucks by putting the removed Superdrive into an enclosure that someone sells.

(Yes, I got this idea from HP,which offered removable drives years ago.)

So now you have something that weighs more than the Air, but much less than the Pro, and maybe it even weighs the same as the 12" PB it replaces. The cost is not too different from the MBA, but it is probably a lot faster, for those who care. And you can upgrade to 4GB if you need to.

The question is, how much does Superdrive weigh? :confused:

If it's only 0.1 pounds, then it's not worth the effort. :( Does anyone know, or have a Superdrive they can put on a postal scale?