Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I just bought a 24 inch aluminium imac last friday. Once I brought it home, one of the first test I did with it was the pixel test to find if there is any dead pixels. I used an application named Pixel Check. There doesn't seem to be any dead pixels except for dust particles trapped under the glass on the top right hand corner of the screen (near the spotlight icon). It's not even noticeable unless you really inspect carefully when using pixel check.

Now the question is: What should I do ? Should I take it back to the apple store and get it replaced ?

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Since you have 0 dead pixels on the LCD, I personally would not return it.

The front glass can be lifted off with a suction cup (I think) and cleaned if you were so inclined. Google iMac disassembly for this.

Congrats on your new machine! Is this your first Mac?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
The glass can easily be removed. Not getting more dust under there is the hard part. If you have a very good non-alcohol based cleaner or even distilled/deionized water and the microfiber cloth that came with your mac you can easily clean the back of the glass. Just make sure you have an air duster to clean first and last to make sure no dust quickly gets trapped in there.

tamim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Yep it is my first mac. And I'm loving it. I think I'll need to upgrade the memory. 1 gb is a bit too less for even 'normal' use. I have like mail, browser, azureus, itunes, vlc running at the same time. I ran joost and then ran out of memory almost (i had like 80 mb of free memory). I was checking the memory usage and as expected when you run a lot of apps, it becomes slower because of the use of swap space.

I didn't return it anyways. I thought I was being too picky. Sure there are some dust particles but if you aren't looking for it you wont probably notice it. It's a huge machine that I don't want to carry back n forth between apple store and my place.

A thing that I noticed is the temperature of the machine. I noticed the following temperatures:

CPU A - 43
GPU - 55
Airport Card - 63
Power supply - 64
HD Bay 1 - 55
HD Macintosh - 58
Memory Controller - 49
Optical Drive - 48

(in degree celsius).

I found the side to be fairly warm but the top gets hot. Those who own the 24 incher, can you guys tell me if these temperatures are normal ? I know of smc fan control application that can be used to increase the speed. But I'm not very interested in tweaking the fan speeds if the temperature is ok.

Since you have 0 dead pixels on the LCD, I personally would not return it.

The front glass can be lifted off with a suction cup (I think) and cleaned if you were so inclined. Google iMac disassembly for this.

Congrats on your new machine! Is this your first Mac?

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Your temperatures look similar to mine. I'd say they're fine.
RAM is really cheap now and dead easy to install so I'd max the thing out.
As far as how hot it feels to the touch, the top left corner is where it gets the hottest and that will depend on how many and what kind of apps you're running at the time. Mine gets what I would describe as very warm, but for others that might be hot. I'm a chef and at this point in my career I have asbestos hands. :D

Mick

ArtTechFreak

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
Just East of San Frandisco
The back side of your iMac will seem warm since it is aluminum. The case has been stamped from a single sheet of aluminum and aluminum is a very good heat conductor. The temperatures you report look fine!

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
i have slightly flickering pixels in dark areas... i dunno what i should do, because if i have the screen repaired, i am terrified that dust will get in, or my new display will have dead pixels!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.