Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Okay. I am a moron. Now that that's out of the way, let me explain my predicament. I have a domain registered and everything, and a host, and I've figured out how to upload using FTP, but for the life of me I cannot design a simple freaking website! I have no money, so that's playing an important role in this, but I'm looking for some simple, FREE software I can use. I'm talking basic skills stuff here. Drag and Drop. Something a drunken monkey could use to good effect. Any ideas? I know that once I have a bit of cash I can just buy Freeway Express or something, but in the meantime.....

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i can't really help, i just loved the subject line so much that i had to come...

i won't go off on my rant about how important it is to know basic HTML even if you use a WYSIWYG editor...

have you tried searching download.com and versiontracker?

:)
pnw

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I know! I know! I'm learning HTML, I really am. I know a few basics, but nothing good enough for designing a website.

I have looked through download.com and there ain't nuthin there, but I hadn't thought of Version Tracker. Thanks!

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I'll give it a shot, but it looks a bit motr difficult than would be good for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I didn't know they provided a trial.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Re: Help me, King Retard of Web Design

Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Okay. I am a moron. Now that that's out of the way, let me explain my predicament. I have a domain registered and everything, and a host, and I've figured out how to upload using FTP, but for the life of me I cannot design a simple freaking website! I have no money, so that's playing an important role in this, but I'm looking for some simple, FREE software I can use. I'm talking basic skills stuff here. Drag and Drop. Something a drunken monkey could use to good effect. Any ideas? I know that once I have a bit of cash I can just buy Freeway Express or something, but in the meantime.....

Your best best is to learn basic HTML. Very easy. Even a 'drunken monkey' can pick it up. If you get some cash, I would recommend 'Dreamweaver' by Macromedia. Great app and easy learning curve.

check out some easy online tutorials on http://www.lynda.com. You have to pay to see the full tutorials but it'll give you an idea.

you can also use a Limewire or Poisoned to download a demo copy of the app. Version Tracker is another option.

Good Luck!

~e

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Help me, King Retard of Web Design

Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
There is no reason to put yourself down. Everybody has to start somewhere. That is why every browser allows you to view the source of web pages.

Here is my suggestion. Browse around the web. Find those pages that you really like. View and save the source HTML of those pages. Then play around with them until you get a design that represents you.

A word to the wise. All too many web designers think that the purpose of web design is to show how smart they are. It is not. The purpose of a web page is to convey information to your audience. Your audience wants your site to load quickly, be easy to navigate in their choice of browsers, and to have the information they are looking for.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i'll agree with the netscape composer app... i haven't used that in years but if it's still around, go for it. i designed a lot of websites on it that i later sold... adobe golive also has high marks but it may be difficult to use as well... you could always try it out, how you get it is none of my business...

off-topic fyi, as with any adobe app, if you don't want it to connect to adobe via the internet, delete the "web" folder that it installs...

;)
pnw

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Re: Re: Help me, King Retard of Web Design

Originally posted by eclipse525
Your best best is to learn basic HTML. Very easy. Even a 'drunken monkey' can pick it up. If you get some cash, I would recommend 'Dreamweaver' by Macromedia. Great app and easy learning curve.

this drunken monkey has been picking it up :D

yeah, the best way to learn html is to use that trial of dreamweaver, make a site using WYSIWYG and each time you change something, look at the source that it creates. also look at other sites and view their source code. it will take you some time to learn it well and have a nice looking site, but just stick to it.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Trying to take my title, eh?! haha, anyhoo, speaking of monkeys...

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/index.html

These guys have good, simple, easy to follow tutorials that are free. I got the jist of how to use css (cascading style sheets) through those dudes.

I recommend going the simple text editor route until you learn the ropes. Depending on how into it you are and how much time you put in, that could only be a matter of days.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Now I feel even more retarded - all this information so accessible, and I'm too dense to find it.

Oh well, any help anybody can give me is appreciated. :D:D:D

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Go to random websites, view their code, and learn HTML that way, like a MAN! This is how my exgirlfriend learned HTML!

this is a good deal like my learn-html-speech, minus of course the ex girlfriend... plus, mine starts off with "four score, no, about 10 years ago, our forefathers brought forth a new markup language, where all tags are created equal.."

:)
pnw

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
LMAO! Nice one.

I had to look up what WYSIWYG meant in order to understand this thread. But that's how I started learning HTML: View multiple source codes and "try" to understand them.

Now I need to work on appearance for a site. I'll check out the Mozilla suite, since the last time I tried to run a Macromedia trial app. (Flash MX) the trial crashed each time I tried to export audio from a file. :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
"Learning" from other sites is a good start, but it has one major pitfall: most people don't know how to create web pages using valid (X)HTML. It's almost guaranteed that you'll learn bad habits and the junk code created by most WYSIWYG editors.

Knowledge of the HTML spec is crucial for ensuring compatibility, accessibility and proper page rendering.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by King Cobra
I had to look up what WYSIWYG meant in order to understand this thread

lol - well, you know what PCMCIA stands for don't you?

people can't memorise computer industry acronyms!

Anyway, back on topic:
Steer clear of animated GIFs, blinking text and in-yer-face javascript effects. As appealing as they are when you're learning how to construct a website, and no matter how much you may want to show off your newfound skills, you will get laughed at, lots. You're probably thinking i'm being patronising (which i guess i am) but it had to be said :)

Anyway, i'd say run through a few simple tutorials on basic HTML and/or XHTML and then (the most important bit) draw a sketch ON PAPER of what you want your website to look like, then see if you can figure out how to 'port' it to HTML before you even start coding it. If you get completely stuck, you know where we are :). Think about the information you're wanting to convey and have a look for (and at) similar websites for inspiration. Be very analytical of where they're lacking (in design and content) and bare that in mind with your own site.

Consistency in your design accross the site is VERY important!

All of my sites go through various "versions" before i reach the finished product, so don't be afraid if it doesn't always work out how you expected.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by mrjamin
well, you know what PCMCIA stands for don't you?

people can't memorise computer industry acronyms!

Actually, I had no idea. :p

Yeah, when I update my website, usually I have to make revisions every time, as you said, "debugging" the HTML pseudocode. Expect that when updating websites, especially with new concepts you aren't familiar with. Just tutoring online isn't going to help. If you're lucky you can PayPal someone to make the site for you. Then we go beyond homepages... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.