Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
In pretty much all or the "I just got mine!" threads, there has been disputes on which box they received it in, the newer, or the older packaging. And many remain unconvinced on this pointless topic. Picture 1: Courtesy of Google search "apple tv box", displays the outer packaging of the original Apple TV. Picture 2: Courtesy of apple.com/appletv, Apple TV "Take 2"'s outer packaging.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 104
  • appletv_box20080115.png
    appletv_box20080115.png
    11 KB · Views: 1,313

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
So... What is your point?

Well, all of these people are having arguments and discussions on which box they have (as if it were so important,) and I thought maybe this would help people out.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
The only difference is the version number of the firmware/software. And that will be a free download for existing :apple:tv owners.

Well, we don't know that for sure. Apple hasn't announced any changes, but that doesn't mean there won't be any under the hood. The specs at Apple.com are very vague when it comes to Apple TV. Eg. "Intel Processor" they could have easily given it a speed bump or more RAM and no-one would know. Not that it matters as long as video plays back smoothly and the system is responsive.

Given the price drop, it's my guess that they introduced some manufacturing cost savings. Although it might be a case of having recouped R&D costs, they can price the device more aggressively.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well supposedly the Apple Stores have pulled their old product off the shelf, so they're either just putting it in the new boxes or they're sending it back to be refurbished with newer hardware.

Then again, Apple has always been vague about the innards of the :apple:tv...

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Well supposedly the Apple Stores have pulled their old product off the shelf, so they're either just putting it in the new boxes or they're sending it back to be refurbished with newer hardware.

Then again, Apple has always been vague about the innards of the :apple:tv...

Interesting, well if there is a hardware change, I'm still within my 14 days. I'll only know if someone rips open one of the new ones I guess.

I would only bother if there was a functionality benefit though. No point changing for new hardware if the function is the same. The current iteration seems reliable (from the general lack of complaints on the forums)...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Interesting, well if there is a hardware change, I'm still within my 14 days. I'll only know if someone rips open one of the new ones I guess.

I would only bother if there was a functionality benefit though. No point changing for new hardware if the function is the same. The current iteration seems reliable (from the general lack of complaints on the forums)...

You can be sure some site will disassemble one, but any hardware changes would be irrelevant to how the Apple TV performs as designed. A faster CPU or GPU would not bring you anything since the Apple TV would not take advantage of it.

Only if you wanted to hack it - and those hacks could take advantage of the more powerful hardware - would it be worth eating the re-stocking fee.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Thank you for posting this. I was one of the first to post about this and after seeing a few people respond about having the new box I was going to make this same post but got tied up with work and all the new releases.

The biggest thing I would love to know if they possibly changed is going to Sata drives for the potential down the road change to a larger HD. I am fine with streaming in the house but we might be looking at having one to mount in the car and also take traveling with us. So we would want a lot of storage. Unfortuntately PATA drives are dead and not really moving up.

Kevin :apple:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The new box denotes the new software load. Same hardware....

They are selling old stock as "refurbished" just to get rid of them.

Some people want the new one instead to save the time it would take to download the new software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.