Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Hi - Don't know a lot about digital video. We mainly do web development but a lot of our customers ask us about HD video production also - so we want to get kited up to deliver this also. We'll be running FCS 2.

We already have a couple of Mac Pros and were thinking of getting a blackmagic intensity pro to capture via HDMI into Prores422 1080p.

A few of quick questions.

- HD Monitoring:
We were going to get a domestic HDTV (1920x1080)with an HDMI input for monitoring. Has anyone had experience of using any of these as a cost effective replacement for a boradcast monitor. Any recommendations on particular makes/models.

- Can we calibrate a domestic HDTV (LCD or plasma) with something like the Pantone Spyder we use for print work to come as close to a broadcast monitor as posssilbe - or is there a 'better' / easier way to do this - colour bar image etc?

- Would anyone recommend an alterative to the blackmagic board - It seems great value but don't mind spending a little more - Maybe not an Aja IO though!

Thanks for your advice..
Craig

bkvideography

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
you're getting crazy already. I've been doing video production for 4 years and I dont need an external monitor yet. if you're doing green screen work, sure.....try pro res. otherwise, back off a little.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you are shooting on HDV cameras you can capture to ProRes over FW (no need for the BM card). Another solution would be to capture as HDV then set FCP to do your renders in ProRes. This lets you keep the small HDV "foot print" on your storage, but lets all of your renders and effects happen in the less compressed ProRes codec.

More details here.

For monitoring I'd suggest a 23" ACD + Matrox MXO as this will get you very close to same quality you'd get w/a Sony HD CRT b'cast monitor but for under $2k.

More details here.

bkvideography,
I'd strongly suggest getting an external monitor because that's the only way to know what your video is doing.

Lethal

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you are shooting on HDV cameras you can capture to ProRes over FW (no need for the BM card). Another solution would be to capture as HDV then set FCP to do your renders in ProRes.
I get the second part of what you wrote, Lethal. I still fail to see the advantage of capturing HDV-recorded material using the ProRes codec - what is there to gain?

- Martin

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
- HD Monitoring:
We were going to get a domestic HDTV (1920x1080)with an HDMI input for monitoring. Has anyone had experience of using any of these as a cost effective replacement for a boradcast monitor. Any recommendations on particular makes/models.
Craig,

Don't do it. Broadcast monitors would not sell for as much money as they do if you could get anywhere near their accuracy with consumer TVs. TVs are designed to make the picture look good. Broadcast monitors are designed to make the picture accurately reflect the input signal. Two very different objectives.

The Matrox MXO route seems to be a good one, if you are looking for something less expensive than an HD broadcast monitor.

- Martin

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I get the second part of what you wrote, Lethal. I still fail to see the advantage of capturing HDV-recorded material using the ProRes codec - what is there to gain?

- Martin
Assuming you aren't mastering back to HDV (in that case you should stick w/HDV though out) there are a couple of things you gain (at the expense of working w/much larger file sizes that require faster storage). First, you'll get better RT performance and shorter render times because HDV is a very CPU intensive codec. Second, any gfx, color correction, or other visual effects you apply will look better because they won't compressed into HDV. Now, the source HDV footage won't look any better, but working in ProRes will help the footage stand up better to the manipulation during post.

In FCS 2 you can have an HDV timeline, but set FCP to do all the renders in ProRes. This basically gets you the benefit of working in ProRes w/o having to work w/the large ProRes media files.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.