Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wr0x2

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2003
I'm guessing that this is probably impossible because of the light sensor and the fact that the lightup keyboard probably has different connectors, but does anyone have any info on whether this can be done?

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
No, it cannot. I have seen this asked many times and never seen anyone actually find a way to do it. They have different connectors and the backlit ones have to have additional power going to them which i am not sure that the ti book could supply through the standard connectors (assuming that you could make it fit in right).

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I seen it done to an ibook one time, the guy split the power off the internal USB connectore i belive. I am searching the internet trying to find it, if anyone has the link please post. But it was a very hands on mod, there isnt a replacement keyboard to do it with.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the fiber optic mods are nothing like the illuminated keyboard in powerbooks, and they're more cosmetic than utilitarian (your eyes can much more readily identify the pb keys than ones that are entirely glowing). unfortunately, there is currently no way to get a real one in there. i'll bet apple eventually puts the illuminated board in all PBs but not in iBooks, as a "luxury" distinction.

on a sidenote, i wish they'd bring back the italian leather wrist rests. on a PB with the keyboard, it would be stunning indulgence...

pnw

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel

on a sidenote, i wish they'd bring back the italian leather wrist rests. on a PB with the keyboard, it would be stunning indulgence...

pnw

Do you mean the ones that were on the prototypes that they made in the mid 90s (the ones with new materials like aluminum and wood and leather)?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
im pretty sure you could do it if you're really skilled and have the time and experience to do it all. but i don't think it would ever be anything like the fiber-optic backlight on the PB's.

and on the subject of leather palm rests... now that would be luxury.:cool: :D

wr0x2

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2003
The 20th anniversery Mac had Italian leather. Lol that would be great leather wrist rests... maybe steve would go for fake leather ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.