Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I'd been meaning to upgrade my 40GB TV for a while now before the Take 2 update came out and I finally got around to it. I used Engadget's tutorial at first but had troubles rebuilding the partition map in the end. I couldn't figure out what on earth the problem was but I couldn't make the new drive have the correct partitions and in the correct order.

I then found AwkwardTV's tutorial and it turned out to be much faster/simpler. Compared to the Engadget one, you only have to copy the EFI and Recovery partitions (as opposed to the whole 40GB disk which takes hours). I assume if you did things as that tutorial states in the first place, you'll have better luck than me. For some reason though, the terminal tools weren't working out for me so I ended up biting the bullet and bought iPartition 3. After that, it was all smooth sailing.

I did find the answer to a common problem though where people get it working, but can't upgrade the TV or do a factory restore. Turns out this happens when the partition order gets messed up. More specifically, the partition order should be:
disk1s1 - EFI
disk1s2 - Recovery
disk1s3 - OSBoot
disk1s4 - Media
On my first try, my Recovery and OSBoot partitions were inverted so strangely enough, the TV would boot, but i couldn't do the update/factory-restore. Once I used iPartition and got things where they should be the problem disappeared.

Here's a couple of pics I took during the process.

http://gallery.mac.com/pradador#100118

Now where is that "Take 2" update :D???

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I did mine last spring. I did it using command-line. Had some issue that I can't remember now, but it booted and synced 1st time.

Wish I could remember what the problem was, as I have to replace my 160 with a 250 (The 160 is making some unnatural sounds, which can be heard across the room. Not a good sign. It'll make a trip to Hitachi, soon.). Hopefully, I'll have written it down somewhere (haven't looked yet, obviously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.