Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've heard more whispers about the upcoming MacBook Pro updates.

- Multi-touch Trackpad
- 17" model to incorporate LED screen
- Penryn processors
- To be released in the next 2 weeks (so, this Tuesday or next)

Exact release dates are always difficult to pinpoint as they can change, but the information is believed to be accurate at this time.

Article Link

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Sounds good. The more LED displays the better :)

It'll be interesting to see how Penryn pushes the performance bar, and, of course, which graphics cards will be coming.. :rolleyes:

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
I am hoping for some minor cosmetic improvements to bring it inline with the macbook.

JDR

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
Can't wait.

I wonder how Apple will announce it on their site (the main page):

Replace the large MBA image with the new MBP?
Replace one of the smaller images at the bottom and keep the large MBA?
Rotate the large image between the MBA and the new MBP?

-JDR

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
My speculations: I think they're coming in June. Either that, or it'll be multi-touch keyboards for desktops.

Maybe change of plans came from this terrible US economy. Or perhaps it is inspiration for developers to get fired-up about multi-touch pre-WWDC. (Where this is going to be a huge theme.)

Personally, I hope it is sooner. But I have my doubts...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Sounds good... Hopefully there won't be problems with this GeV like there were with last June's Mbp (yellowing screen)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Not that I'll be getting one, but things I'd like to see:

Magnetic latch.
LED Screen's across the range.
Multi-touch (duh).
Improved battery life, not that it's bad now.
Better quality control and fixes to the many physical issues with the MBP.

Lower the price by $100 across the line as well, since Apple can do this without any profit loss.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Hope it's this Tuesday, then I'll still be eligible for 180 day same-as-cash. Else I'll have to wait until April :(

I just bought the new MP but I want something portable too :D will go for a low end 15" asap - I'd even go for a 2.2 refurb if the prices get pushed down as a result of a new model

dt1611

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

jnc said:
Hope it's this Tuesday, then I'll still be eligible for 180 day same-as-cash. Else I'll have to wait until April :(

I just bought the new MP but I want something portable too :D will go for a low end 15" asap - I'd even go for a 2.2 refurb if the prices get pushed down as a result of a new model

I just got a MacBook pro last week... What does that 180 same as cash mean? If they release a new one next week can I take it back and get a new one?

AaRdVarK

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
You mean the other way around, right? ;)

I have two complaints about the MacBook Pro, and they are both resolved in the MacBook. As one poster mention, I really, really hope they finally retire that POS latch. I've owned two powerbooks and two macbook pros, and those I've had half of them go bad. The magnetic latch is a no brainer.

Second, I'd really like to see a user replaceable hard drive. Unfortunately, I think the probability of that happening is much lower.

Can't wait.

I wonder how Apple will announce it on their site (the main page):

Replace the large MBA image with the new MBP?
Replace one of the smaller images at the bottom and keep the large MBA?
Rotate the large image between the MBA and the new MBP?

-JDR

They will put them side by side. I am willing to bet the new MBP will look a lot like the MBA only thicker and with all the requisite peripheral plug ins and such. I hope they don't change the keyboard though. :(

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
<snip>
Second, I'd really like to see a user replaceable hard drive. Unfortunately, I think the probability of that happening is much lower.

All computers have a user-replaceable HD, if you are so inclined! ;-)

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I just got a MacBook pro last week... What does that 180 same as cash mean? If they release a new one next week can I take it back and get a new one?

Yeah, I got mine in late November - does this mean I'll be able to get a new one for free?

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
why does everyone wish for a magnetic latch? I personally feel that the hook thing is better, since its a more secure mechanism.

mintram

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
Canada
No matter what they update I will be picking one up, and will be thankful that the waiting is over! You can bet I will bet that a lot of people will be checking their computer in hopes of an upgrade every Tuesday until it comes. Hopefully the new rumor is correct and we can sleep peacefully for a few Monday nights!:rolleyes:

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
The current Mac Book Pros are good laptops, but I'd like to see the following improvements (other than Penryn CPU and Multi-touch trackpad, which seem to be a given, or at least I hope so):

• Better latch (the MacBook already has a better closure mechanism)
  • User serviceable hard disk - it doesn't have to be trivial to remove, just simple and non warranty voiding.
  • Higher resolution option on the 15" screen - would be good to have the option of a 1680x1050 screen in the 15" model.
  • 160GB HD as standard on low end model
  • Boost to graphics card and 256MB graphic memory as standard with option of 512MB
  • Cheaper RAM upgrades - I know Apple usually charge a premium, but the current pricing is ridiculous. I looked on Crucial yesterday and found that 4GB (2x2GB) RAM for MacBook Pro is under £60 and that still leaves you with 2x1GB chips. If you upgrade on apple.com from 2GB to 4GB it costs over £400!
  • More USB ports - 2 on the 15" model is rather stingy
  • LED backlighting on 17" model

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

In the UK, you have 14 days to return the model, no questions asked. In the US I think they take 10% unless the machine is faulty.

180 same as cash is just 0% financing... As long as you pay in full within 6 months, you pay no interest. There isn't even a deposit!

Leehro

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007

180 same as cash is a financing promotion. If you sign up for a juniper visa card during the checkout process, you can get 0% interest for 180 days on the purchase (with approval).

It's got nothing to do with the return policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.