View Full Version : Good price for a G4?
Jan 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
New to the forum :)
I have an opportunity to buy a G4. Don't know a ton about Macs and I would love help in deciding what is a fair price. I would like to do some designing on this computer and use it as a learning machine until I buy something new in a year or two at the most.
Here are the specs I have on hand:
"fastest one they made"
60 gig HD
Software is staying on . . . Macromedia 8, Adobe CS1, fonts . . .
No monitor, keyboard, mouse. This person wants $800 which seems high. Thoughts anyone?
Many thanks for any help.
Jan 27, 2008, 06:51 PM
You'd be a sucker to buy that.
A "good" used G4 would be $200-$300. I'd not pay a penny more.
And pirated software? That's not worth anything.
Jan 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
Okay - thanks for your response. Don't wanna be a sucker that's for sure.
Jan 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
A $599 Mac Mini will perform light years better than that G4.
Jan 27, 2008, 07:11 PM
"fastest one they made"
Looks like that is the 4th fastest processor used in a G4 tower. This looks like the fastest:
Jan 27, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well this stinks.
The seller is the person who redesigned a website that I will be maintaining for a small business owner.
The seller thought this could be a solution since she knew I was thinking about trying a Mac and that this would give me access to Dreamweaver/Fireworks (which is $400) to maintain the site instead of buying it for my pc.
Considering the amount of money the person I am supporting spent for her redesign/support, it seems a little rotten to ask that amount of money for something this board, e-bay, and a few friends have told me is way too much. Feeling a bit disappointed.
Thanks for all of your input!
Jan 27, 2008, 11:15 PM
for that machine in that configuration, $150-200 at the most. not including the value of the software though.
Jan 27, 2008, 11:49 PM
not including the value of the software though.
The software only has value if it comes complete with a license.
Jan 28, 2008, 12:24 AM
60 GB hard drive, probably original, I'm sure it is weak on the RAM as well.
If it looks like this person will be feeding you more websites to maintain, then it would be worth it to pay at or slightly above market value. However, if you are only going to have limited dealings with them I would pay no more than offer them $350 with the software boxes / Proof Of Purchase included. (with proper proof of purchase you can get a good upgrade to CS3).
If they come to the table and "oops" forgot the boxes/POP, then I would renegotiate for $150-250.