PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a Macbook Air as your only computer?

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 11:13 PM
One of the huge draws of the 12" Powerbook (and actually, the iBook, the current Macbook, and the Macbook Pro) was its ability to be used as a single computer--as an all-in-one package. No desktop, no second laptop, nothing but the one.

So, would you use the Macbook Air as your only, solo, 24/7 computer if you had the chance?

I ask because I've seen a lot of posts by people heralding the Macbook Air as a worthy heir to the 12" Powerbook of yore. I'd like to see how the prospect of using it as a solitary machine would change opinions, if at all.

Niko
Jan 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
The macbook air is made to be among a network of computers. It is designed to be completely wireless within a wireless network of computers. The first obvious draw back is that it does not have its own optical drive. In this present day, cds, dvds etc. are still popular so if you have Air you will need another computer's hard drive.
I think it is a bit ahead of its time.

ahaxton
Jan 27, 2008, 11:28 PM
If someone can use their iBook's as their only computers, I'm sure some can use the MBA as their only ones too.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 27, 2008, 11:28 PM
NO....

i've always had laptops as main computers but the MBA is not a main computer and would be complete useless in that daily task imho.

HLdan
Jan 27, 2008, 11:33 PM
Well, I do plan on getting the SSD Macbook Air but I do have a 24" iMac which would be my main computer but if I had no computer I would still get the Air as my only computer. Why? There's no real reason why I wouldn't. I could get the external optical drive and use it at home. I used to have an Apple Powerbook 17" which I kept for 4 years and not once did I ever need to use the optical drive away from home.
My music has always been digital since the inception of iTunes so everything I did on my Powerbook was totally independent of an optical drive so I wouldn't worry about taking it out of the house without a drive.
Thanks to EyeTV I can even watch my recorded shows on the Air via Safari at anyplace with wireless internet. If anyone is honest with themselves they will realize they don't use the optical drive very much.

JacobC
Jan 27, 2008, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't use it as my only computer, just because it doesn't have any optical drive, so I would have to read discs somethings, unless I had an external optical drive. I feel as though the Macbook Air's specs aren't that great, but it is a 1st gen, and it is SUPER thin.

aiongiant
Jan 27, 2008, 11:36 PM
not powerful enough to be a primary computer unless you just do internet listent ot music and small stuff

so i have a mac pro to do my heavy stuff like photoshop and 3d and games

however perfect for a nice portable 2nd computer
i can't wait for mine hehe

NYCMacFan
Jan 27, 2008, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't use it as my only computer, just because it doesn't have any optical drive, so I would have to read discs somethings, unless I had an external optical drive. I feel as though the Macbook Air's specs aren't that great, but it is a 1st gen, and it is SUPER thin.

I use a ibook 12inch G4 as my main computer at home. Before that I had a Dell laptop, before that I had one of the really old mac laptops (albeit plugged into external keyboard and monitor).

It has a full sized screen, full sized keyboard, 2 megs of ram and a core 2 duo processor. What more could I need? Want a drive, just make sure to have an external one on your desk or nearby.

BioChron
Jan 27, 2008, 11:37 PM
I would get a MacBook Air and use that as my only computer, but the problem is I need to be able to render things in 3D. That is the only thing holding me back from getting one and switching that to my main machine.

valdore
Jan 27, 2008, 11:38 PM
In a few years it might me more feasible to use something like the Air as one's only computer, provided of course that in those few years the storage capacity increases, among other things.

kuwisdelu
Jan 27, 2008, 11:43 PM
Not yet.

I agree with those that say the Air is ahead of its time. The world isn't quite ready to be rid of the optical drive and go all wireless, but we'll be going there soon. Or at least a lot closer.

I never use my optical drive away from home, so I really wouldn't have too much trouble using it as my only computer. Honestly, if money weren't important, I'd have a Mac Pro for the heavy stuff and an Air for day-to-day and on-the-go, but when I think about it, I really could get away with the Air being my main pretty easily. All I'd need is an external HD and Superdrive at home, or a .mac account for easy access to my online files. I don't use any accessories away from home like many around here seem to do, so I wouldn't be lugging anything around.

In my opinion, the MacBook Air will be much, much more viable as a main computer in its 2nd and 3rd gen incarnations. It's not so viable now, but I could get by with it as my main pretty easily, I think.

juanster
Jan 27, 2008, 11:44 PM
couldn't live without the optical drive for now.. soooo i guess my answer is noooo

eddietr
Jan 27, 2008, 11:51 PM
If I could only have one computer, this would not be the computer.

I'm eagerly awaiting the MBA I ordered. But that's because it will be my travel computer, and I have a desktop computer already.

If I could only have one that was to satisfy both roles, it would have to be an MBP.

But, on the other hand, having an MP and an MBP like I do now makes less sense for me than an MP + MBA.

For me, the way I work the MP + MBA combo is the best of everything right now.

twoodcc
Jan 27, 2008, 11:52 PM
so i wouldn't. but since i have a mac pro...i could get an Air.....but i don't have the money now

Freyqq
Jan 27, 2008, 11:58 PM
the air is more powerful than a powerbook or ibook and you can get an external dvd drive and a usb hub to solve the 1 port issue.

but

it is clearly not designed to be a primary machine. It could be of course, but the macbook has more power for cheaper...so obviously a better choice if you need it for a primary machine.

ProPedderKustom
Jan 28, 2008, 12:02 AM
Yep! It'll be my only machine! I like to keep things simple with a single ultraportable, as I have done for several years.

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 28, 2008, 12:06 AM
If someone can use their iBook's as their only computers, I'm sure some can use the MBA as their only ones too.

It would be expensive peripheral-wise but feasible.

mashoutposse
Jan 28, 2008, 12:13 AM
Why not? You can connect an optical drive and add extra USB ports at your desk, then disconnect everything (through one port if you're using a hub) and enjoy the awesome form factor on the go :D

This is the future of mainstream portable computing.

HLdan
Jan 28, 2008, 12:17 AM
Can't wait till the reviews of the SSD Air come out. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.8 SSD either matched or exceeded raw speed of the 2.4Ghz MBP. This is not including apps like Final Cut Pro because it won't run well on the Air but I am talking about encoding and multitasking.

eddietr
Jan 28, 2008, 12:26 AM
Can't wait till the reviews of the SSD Air come out. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.8 SSD either matched or exceeded raw speed of the 2.4Ghz MBP. This is not including apps like Final Cut Pro because it won't run well on the Air but I am talking about encoding and multitasking.

I don't know about benchmarks, but I was playing around with a Sony yesterday with SSD, and for what I use a travel computer for, the thing just flies. That was compared to the non-SSD next to it. Open apps, reading resources like menus and such, search for files, flipping through documents. Things that involve lots of random small reads.

But then again, my job doesn't involve running benchmarks all day, so my computing might be different than some other's. :)

Victor ch
Jan 28, 2008, 12:28 AM
MBA as a replacement of the 12" PB:eek::eek: Hell no. Today I revived mine and trust me there is no fill for the gap the 12" PB left. 1st it belonged to the "pro" machines lineup (independent graphics card, better specs) 2nd it was really a small computer, no matter how thin the MBA air is still has the same footprint as my MB; more than my PB. The MBA is there for the person that has his Mac/PC workstation and really needs portability and lightweight. For example my cousin has his very nice G5 and is looking for something to use in high-school, he didn't want a MBP since it was overkill and the MB doesn't have a backlit keyboard (great for low light classrooms) so he's about to buy the MBA. It is not meant to be a main computer, especially since it lacks hdd space and ports; its a mobile companion, a very light and beatiful mobile companion:p. Just my thoughts.

-Victor

robrose20
Jan 28, 2008, 06:24 AM
no way no how ... I wouldn't even but the thing.

zedsdead
Jan 28, 2008, 06:34 AM
It is clearly designed to be a companion but it can be used alone if the person doesn't have much music, pictures, or video and only relies on USB.

deputy_doofy
Jan 28, 2008, 06:38 AM
I think it's too early for me to make that assessment. I can definitely see the benefits, however. I kind of like the idea that the MBA is its own machine with its limited storage and yet, at the same time, has unlimited storage by any and all of your friends who have hard drives shared on a wireless network. Of course, when home, you also have more space by having a full-sized hard drive for regular storage of stuff.

Father Jack
Jan 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
If you have any sense you won't even consider using the "air" as your only computer .. :eek:

MacRumorUser
Jan 28, 2008, 07:23 AM
If you have any sense you won't even consider using the "air" as your only computer .. :eek:

Well I guess for some people it could be, but for most the answer as proven by the results is a resounding no.

Cybergypsy
Jan 28, 2008, 07:28 AM
I am using it as my only machine and have plenty of sense....lol

wordmunger
Jan 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
*I* wouldn't, but certainly you could. The ideal setup would include a Time Capsule for storing large files, movies, etc. If it was your only computer you'd also need the external superdrive.

MacRumorUser
Jan 28, 2008, 07:38 AM

I'd dispute that cyber ;):p

Handbags at dawn :D

ucfgrad93
Jan 28, 2008, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't. And I really don't think Apple designed this to be someone's only computer.

John Jacob
Jan 28, 2008, 08:02 AM
I voted NO.

But I would have voted yes if the Macbook Air had the following two things:
1. An Ethernet port.
2. An additional USB port.
I'm sure both of these will be available in rev B, at which point I'll consider buying a Macbook Air (if I don't bite the bullet and buy a Macbook Pro before that).

Cybergypsy
Jan 28, 2008, 08:23 AM
I'd dispute that cyber ;):p

Handbags at dawn :D

Thanks for making me laugh need it today badly

tobywuk
Jan 28, 2008, 08:28 AM
no, if you ask me they are pants. I would much rather a macbook or macbook pro over an air any day. The air may be smaller & lighter but the actual fingerprint of the notebook is not that much different and in a strong chap i don't think the extra wight will kill me. take a look, there are some comparison pictures of it against the pro somewhere.

Yaboze
Jan 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
If I had a iMac or Mac Pro, I would, but since I have a Macbook, I'd say no. The lack of an optical drive and some other stuff is a deal breaker for me. The macbook suits my portable needs nicely.

Techguy172
Jan 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
No defiantly not! no ethernet only one usb (I'm getting killed with two) no firewire. Not powerful enough. I guess you could get a hub but that defeats the purpose of the whole computer.

ivan1234
Jan 28, 2008, 08:57 AM
yes, the macbook air will be my only laptop (although I do have access to my brother's 17'' mbp) and it fits my needs perfectly. I've been using laptops exclusively for the past few years (15'' mbp, 17'' mbp, 13'' mb) and I almost never use the optical drive or other ports and I would actually prefer not having them if that means less weight and a slimmer profile ala mba! :cool:

soupyjnr
Jan 28, 2008, 10:34 AM
Im just giving my opinion here - I dont like the MacBook Air - its too slim and flimsy... im stickin with the MacBook

EvryDayImShufln
Jan 28, 2008, 10:44 AM
I could see it being used as my only computer.

I would have the external Superdrive, obviously. I also have my external 1 terabyte drive (which I already use with my MBP that has an internal 250 gigs).

As with my MBP, I plug everything in at home through a single USB hub, thus taking only 1 USB port.

So I think a MBA would be a great main computer, only that the hard drive is a little small.

kming05
Jan 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
considering that i will use it for nothing more than: office software, about 30gb of music, surfing the web, and chatting (as well as traveling with it) i think it will be just fine for my everyday machine.

if not maybe a new imac will be on my desk shortly. :)

Phil A.
Jan 28, 2008, 11:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I really don't understand accusations of the mba being not powerful enough to use as a main computer: the MBP came out at 1.83 GHZ on a core duo and the 1.8 MBA C2D processor is more powerful than that. There are many criticisms people can aim at the MBA but being too slow to be useful isn't one of them!

clayj
Jan 28, 2008, 12:00 PM
If I drastically simplified my digital life, I could see using the MBA as my only machine, assuming that I also bought the external SuperDrive and the USB Ethernet adapter.

But I voted "no" here because I am not going to be simplifying my digital life anytime soon, if ever.

G.I. Joe
Jan 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
Obviously not. Such a limited cumputer.. But then again, it was not meant to be an only computer thing.

Cybergypsy
Jan 28, 2008, 01:11 PM
Im just giving my opinion here - I dont like the MacBook Air - its too slim and flimsy... im stickin with the MacBook

funny the screen flex tested better then a pro........

omenamato
Jan 28, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have a macbook. I have never used it's superdrive. At home I have it connected to my 24" display which has 3 usb ports. I usually have it with me at school. I mostly use safari, office, iTunes, netbeans(and eclipse(and smultron :) )), mail, adium and visual studio on windows. The smaller laptop would make my backbag lighter. Would the speed difference of the prosessor really make a difference?

psychofreak
Jan 28, 2008, 01:49 PM
Not right now...80GB is not enough storage for me, but 160GB would be great. I hardly use the superdrive and having it external wouldn't be a problem. I also hardly use more than one USB port, and I could live with an adapter for ethernet.

teerexx52
Jan 28, 2008, 01:54 PM
One of the huge draws of the 12" Powerbook (and actually, the iBook, the current Macbook, and the Macbook Pro) was its ability to be used as a single computer--as an all-in-one package. No desktop, no second laptop, nothing but the one.

So, would you use the Macbook Air as your only, solo, 24/7 computer if you had the chance?

I ask because I've seen a lot of posts by people heralding the Macbook Air as a worthy heir to the 12" Powerbook of yore. I'd like to see how the prospect of using it as a solitary machine would change opinions, if at all.

Yes, thats what I'm going to try to do.

funkychunkz
Jan 28, 2008, 02:13 PM

You have yours already (?!)

theman
Jan 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
i personally wouldn't but i see how it would be possible. i need firewire for certain devices, so i couldn't. many people don't. i also burn cd's and play dvd's regularly. i suppose i could buy the external drive though. one usb port is fine, i have a 7 port hub. only other thing is that fact that i like to play some current games on my MBP and they just wouldn't run on the Air.

for a lot of people though, it would be very possible.

Techguy172
Jan 28, 2008, 02:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I really don't understand accusations of the mba being not powerful enough to use as a main computer: the MBP came out at 1.83 GHZ on a core duo and the 1.8 MBA C2D processor is more powerful than that. There are many criticisms people can aim at the MBA but being too slow to be useful isn't one of them!

Because it has soldered in ram and the computer will get hot and ramp down it's processor

funny the screen flex tested better then a pro........

Maybe because it's screen is smaller

Macky-Mac
Jan 28, 2008, 03:00 PM
I could, it would be possible, it's faster and more powerful than my current older Mac.......but I prefer a desktop so I wont

EvryDayImShufln
Jan 28, 2008, 03:20 PM
Because it has soldered in ram and the computer will get hot and ramp down it's processor

Maybe because it's screen is smaller

I have a feeling it's not because the screen is smaller, I think it's the way it's built. There's no plastic intermediate like in the Macbook Pro. I'd be willing to bet it's a step up in construction and that when the pros see a full redesign their cases will resemble the MBAs case (not the thinness, obviously).

CaptainCannabis
Jan 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
I had a powerbook 17" that got broken just a few days before the macworld. I used that as my only computer and the tech specs were far worse than the MBAs and it worked perfectly for me (prob too big for my lifestyle).

I never had anything plugged into the ports of my pb so I dont care that the MBA has just 3 ports, I can live without them. And I never used DVDs for anyhing, just when I wanted to install something, so I can live without DVDs too.

The MBA is perfect for me, thats why Im going to use it as my only computer. I dont understand those people who just complain and complain... maybe the MBA was not made for them.

I also think that many people were hoping for the next MUST HAVE im an apple geek gadget and it turned out it wasnt like that... the mba is targeted at a niche.

kuwisdelu
Jan 28, 2008, 03:51 PM
The MBA is perfect for me, thats why Im going to use it as my only computer. I dont understand those people who just complain and complain... maybe the MBA was not made for them.

Wise words. Some people don't seem to understand that there are many of us out there who don't constantly need an optical drive and rarely use any ports at all.... I've never had more than one thing plugged into my USB drives at the same time. Different computers for different people is a pretty simple concept, I'd think.

teerexx52
Jan 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
Wise words. Some people don't seem to understand that there are many of us out there who don't constantly need an optical drive and rarely use any ports at all.... I've never had more than one thing plugged into my USB drives at the same time. Different computers for different people is a pretty simple concept, I'd think.

So well said. Thanks

skyrider007
Jan 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
No!

Techguy172
Jan 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
I have a feeling it's not because the screen is smaller, I think it's the way it's built. There's no plastic intermediate like in the Macbook Pro. I'd be willing to bet it's a step up in construction and that when the pros see a full redesign their cases will resemble the MBAs case (not the thinness, obviously).

You could be right but having a smaller screen also does help but plastic isn't as flexible as aluminum my guess is there adding more chemicals to reduce the flex of the metal.

pondie84
Jan 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
Quite simply I think if you only had a MBA I would feel severely limited. I'd perhaps consider purchasing one for limited use (eg. travelling, taking notes during lectures etc.) but most likely not at its current price point. To me, it'd make more sense to use another cheaper notebook in the same way. The weight difference is not enough to counter the price and lack of versatility.

However, I'm willing to rethink once people have been using them for a few months.

Victor ch
Jan 28, 2008, 05:18 PM

Its true. I found the dismissal of the optical drive a smart move, but other compromises (ports essentially) to be unacceptable. Also how everything is sealed down is really bad to many, lets say that since you use it as your main computer the battery health has diminished to the point of being useless and you want to buy a new one; no you either send it to Apple or you open it up and risk the computers interiors. I solidly stay in the position that the MacBook is NOT meant to be a main computer. I would find no use for the MBA not only because I have a better faster stronger MacBook as my main computer but because my just revived 12" PB G4 will fill the gap of something small to carry around.

-Victor

JacobC
Jan 28, 2008, 11:16 PM
I use a ibook 12inch G4 as my main computer at home. Before that I had a Dell laptop, before that I had one of the really old mac laptops (albeit plugged into external keyboard and monitor).

It has a full sized screen, full sized keyboard, 2 megs of ram and a core 2 duo processor. What more could I need? Want a drive, just make sure to have an external one on your desk or nearby.

Very true, NYC. It's an amazing computer, don't get my wrong, I just like to wait to buy things have a couple generations or so, when all the bugs are worked out.

Zeos
Jan 31, 2008, 12:07 PM
I had been considering the 17" MBP, but I may look at pairing an MBA with a Mac Mini instead of buying the MBP... But I would not buy the MBA as my only computer.

nextdimension
Jan 31, 2008, 12:43 PM
Can't really choose a main computer independently from the applications you use daily. For this to be my main computer it would need to run Maya, Shake, Adobe CS3, and Logic Studio. Now if the MBA was a little cheaper I would definately use it as a secondary machine for office related things (like mahjong and websurfing :)

Gunga Din
Jan 31, 2008, 01:07 PM
I had been considering the 17" MBP, but I may look at pairing an MBA with a Mac Mini instead of buying the MBP... But I would not buy the MBA as my only computer.

The pairing of the MBA and Mac Mini would be a waste. You could just buy the Macbook Pro and have a more powerful machine than either of those 2. The Pro would give you the mobility and you could hook it up to a larger monitor at home to be a desktop replacement.

I thought about a Mac Mini and Macbook , but someone recommended that putting all the money into the PRO would be the better option......and thats what I plan to do :).

Ok enough discussion about the MBA, when is the MBP update coming? lol

ubercool
Jan 31, 2008, 01:21 PM

Hey, I've lived on three TZs and was the first one to own one in the U.S. on June 13 and speaking from experience:

1. SSDs materially speed up use of a 1.2 computer to the point of being comparable to a 2.2 CPU.

2. I couldn't live with just a 32GB SSD, but I've learned to reduce my frequently used files size down to 30GB so I can live permanently in the MBA's 64GB space *with* an XP partition, which requires at least 5GB of space.

3. While the TZ's footprint is clearly preferable from a traveler's standpoint (I travel 40 weeks per year), I will take the MBA until Jobs recants on this strategy and will try to fly business class as much as possible. :p

4. The MBA is designed for a new world. Combined with Time Capsule, I will be able to wirelessly share my MBA with my archived files and the TZ, which I plan to keep.

5. As someone who has to travel with two laptops most of the time, let me tell you: *every single ounce counts.*

6. I carry a lot of stuff with me on trips as a speaker to make sure I'm "failsafe," so a 320GB Western Digital Passport is definitely part of the package, although I plan to leave the SuperDrive at home and just bring the Ethernet dongle in my suitcase. :cool:

nagromme
Jan 31, 2008, 01:22 PM
2GB RAM, dual 1.6-1.8 Ghz 64-bit CPUs, and a slightly slower HD are only good for surfing and light tasks?

That's power equal to some multi-thousand-dollar dual processor towers from not long at all--and MORE power than plenty of pros are using every day for high end tasks! :)

It's a little out of touch to call Core 2 Duo slow. Look around you at the computers people are using every day--MOST are slower than dual-1.6 Core 2. I know I'll be using my MacBook Air for lots of high-end, processor-intensive tasks. Ones I've done before on machines much slower than an Air. And when I later upgrade to SSD, I'll get the slowest bottleneck (read/write) turned into a spec that outruns a Mac Pro tower :)

As for ports--unless you want to connect a DV camcorder, the Air can do anything. Just in new ways.

A LOT of people could use the Air as their only machine. But only for SOME will the portability be worth the cost.

Ultraportables have always cost extra and made compromises. The Air is a great deal compared to a lot of Windows ultraportables--AND it runs OS X, on a full screen with full keyboard. I've been wishing Apple made an ultraportable. And now they do. I never had any illusions that these small machines carry a price. Those who don't care about portability enough will therefore choose a different MacBook.

i0Nic
Jan 31, 2008, 01:54 PM
It can easily be used as an only computer - as long as you are an 'average' user who doesn't do graphically intensive tasks or edit DV.

Hook it up to an external display and USB hub and you have a fully functioning desktop replacement. This is what I do with my macbook and I see no reason why the Air couldn't be used the same way. The lack of ports don't bother me at all as I never use any ports on the road except for the odd USB device. I've never used the ethernet jack on my macbook and I rarely use the superdrive - the external superdrive is more than enough for the rare times I'll need it.

If using it as a main computer - which I intend to do so- the SSD is a must as the 4200rpm 80gb hdd is a little slow for my liking. At home the Air can access Time Capsule or another external storage device for storing files not needed on the road like video etc.

The processor is fast enough for any average user, as someone pointed out it is just as fast if not faster than the processor that came with the first MBP's and macbooks. The SSD will speed things up nicely and the computer will be much snappier than those previous machines.

The simplicity of a 1 computer lifestyle coupled with the power and portability of a macbook air make for an elegant solution.

skyrider007
Jan 31, 2008, 02:11 PM
a macbook air make for an elegant solution.

MBA+Time Capsule+External SuperDrive+Blah balblab ablbha = an elegent solution that comes with an equally 'elegant' price tag = a :) Steve Jobs

i0Nic
Jan 31, 2008, 02:20 PM
MBA+Time Capsule+External SuperDrive+Blah balblab ablbha = an elegent solution that comes with an equally 'elegant' price tag = a :) Steve Jobs

cheaper than an iMac plus a macbook, and less hassles and more portability.

skyrider007
Jan 31, 2008, 02:22 PM

wrong, u're ordering the $3000 SSD MBA + $1000+ worth of accessories. you could have got yourself a high end iMac and a normal MacBook

ubercool
Jan 31, 2008, 02:24 PM

Agreed. I have a MacBook and iMac now, but need the MBA's SSD for speed, its lit keyboard for typing in the evening, and its LED screen for superior viewing -- those are all irrefutable advantages over the existing MacBook. :cool:

ubercool
Jan 31, 2008, 02:27 PM

Hey we need to get that stock back up to $200! :D

i0Nic
Jan 31, 2008, 02:31 PM
wrong, u're ordering the $3000 SSD MBA + $1000+ worth of accessories. you could have got yourself a high end iMac and a normal MacBook

no accessories, I already have a display, external hard drive etc.

Gurutech
Jan 31, 2008, 03:23 PM
With my computer usage, definitely NO.

If I have enough cash to spend, I'd go Mac Pro + MBA.

else, MBP is the only option for me.

BWhaler
Jan 31, 2008, 03:26 PM
My wife would.

Email, Safari, iLife, iWork, Office 2008?

Thin, light and beautiful?

MacBook Air is absolutely perfect for her.

As for me, it makes for a great secondary computer.

profiteor
Jan 31, 2008, 04:20 PM
I game too much to make the MBA my only computer, but I think it will see more use than any other computer I have. Currently going on a "diet" to get all my files from my MacBook to fit.

Works4Me
Jan 31, 2008, 04:32 PM
I couldn't use it as my main computer. I have 17" 2.4 MacBook Pro that I always connect to a 30" display. Run CS3 and Parallels, often at the same time, along with a lot of other apps at the same time. The Air would be nice to take to meetings with clients, but that's about it.

Mackilroy
Jan 31, 2008, 05:04 PM
I would use the MBA the way I currently use my MB... as a mobile computer to take notes with, occasionally watch/listen to podcasts, chatting, and a little music. Perhaps the occasional simple game like EV Nova or whatnot. I rarely use the MacBook's disc drive, and there's only one USB device I plug into it - my iPod. So technically I could, but I also have a Mac Pro as my primary computer, and I use most of the ports it provides, which neither the MB or MBA can match. The MBA, then, would be a nice secondary computer for me.

kockgunner
Jan 31, 2008, 05:29 PM
The air seems more like an inter-office type computer that you carry around from boardroom to boardroom. After you do your presentation, you sync it back with your desktop in your office.

Telp
Jan 31, 2008, 09:23 PM
I voted unsure, but more and more i would say no, just for music sake. On the other hand, if all you do is internet and word processing, you dont need much, and this could work. Even light use of a imovie might be possible? I like this machine, but i dont know if i could use it as my main computer. Many people could i believe though.

roland.g
Jan 31, 2008, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't. I have an iMac and like having a desktop. But for me it would be the perfect notebook. I would take light over power for the uses I will have. Especially when it comes to travel.

mshedd081
Jan 31, 2008, 09:33 PM
If I was considering a MBA but thought it made life too limited why not get a MBP for about the same price. The MBP is like 1/4 of inch thicker and a few pounds heavier. Its not like a windows laptop which can get quite a bit heavy. If you are considering the MBA and it wasn’t what you needed go with the MBP. It could be used for your ONLY computer and its not like its that much thicker. I think everyone thinks the air is sooo much thinner. Yes it is thinner but only like 1/4 inch

tryiian
Jan 31, 2008, 11:39 PM
...with my external harddrives and iPod that I already use regardless?

I absolutely could.

There`s almost nothing I use my Macbook for that the Airbook couldn`t also do. Even a few things (command and conquer 3, I have a gma950) that only the Airbook can!

My only wish for the Airbook is more internal storage. I don`t know how... I really don`t care. I just wish. I decided to move all my (160g) iPod`s music back to my Macbook but I had to swap in a 250 before I could. The 80 was full.

LizKat
Feb 1, 2008, 03:32 PM
I voted no. I got it as a wonderful complement to my other machines, even though it will become the one I use most during the day because of its very light weight.

What this nifty machine may do is push me in the direction of an iMac for a primary machine as my G4 Powerbooks age out. I don't know. I'm not used to having any computer tethered to a wall any more. I might go for whatever is the equivalent of a MacBook Pro when I'm down to one 12" powerbook, one 15" one and the macbook air. I don't think of the MBP or my 15" books as portable, more like luggable, but the larger Powerbooks do basically serve as my desktops now.

xparaparafreakx
Feb 1, 2008, 04:04 PM
No way.

Because I have a MBP 17" coming in to replace my old MBP CD 17". Both machines are good for what they do. That macbook air is great for apple remote desktop and anything Xserve related.

uber gorilla
Feb 1, 2008, 06:29 PM
I would. I guess my situation may be different to a lot of other posters here, since I'm making "the switch" (I've put up with this super-dodgy Windows ME Toshiba Satellite for 8 years now...), so I'm just after a simple introduction to the world of Mac.

Having said that, I'm also after a STYLISH intro to the world of Mac, since I'm admittedly a person who often likes style rather than substance. I could have opted for the MBP as a better desktop substitute, but my needs are simple in terms of usage (web, email, document-typing).

So, whether or not one would use a MBA as their sole computer depends on their needs. If the MBA satisfies their needs (and money isn't an issue), then go for it.

tjcampbell
Feb 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
Not a chance!

MacNutty
Feb 1, 2008, 06:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I have an iMac at home but I'm going to try and just use this as my main machine and see what happens.

Tom B.
Feb 1, 2008, 08:25 PM
I've been using nothing but a 867MHz 12" PowerBook for over 3 years, and while that has the benefit of an optical drive/more ports over the Air, I only ever use the optical drive for ripping CDs to iTunes (remote disc can handle that), I never use more than one USB port at a time (updating various iPods), never use firewire, and never use ethernet. A MacBook Air would work great for me. :)

boyhandsome
Feb 1, 2008, 09:14 PM
I am a typical businessman on-the-go, so I will replace my current PC notebook by air.

TatsuTerror
Feb 1, 2008, 09:19 PM
This site won't give you an accurate representation of whether people will use the MBA as their only computer, since so many around here do photography, videography, and graphics related work. The post above mine is informative though -- this computer is enough for any business man, lawyer, etc.

loghyr
Feb 1, 2008, 09:40 PM
I do development, so that rules out only...

But I would use it as my main computer. I want a system which has built in shell support, runs web based fluff, is quiet, and doesn't spew heat.

I think the Air is a little too big, I like the Fujitsu P7010D keyboard and 10.3" screen. But it doesn't have the horsepower of the Air.

I've lived off of the Fujitsu for weeks at a time when traveling. I would connect to headless clients and servers to do coding and testing.

I don't need to compile on it, but I do need a sane terminal manager.

heatmiser
Feb 3, 2008, 11:00 PM
Okay, so the MBA is out. There are 350 votes, 25% of which suggested they could indeed live with the MBA as a solo computer. Now I'd be curious to find out if any folks have gone through with this. I know some people sold their MBPs earlier in anticipation of a new laptop this January...